Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Liked
    308 times
    My first ever LP (which was given to me, by my mum's sister) was Elvis' Gold Records - Volume 4 (the front cover of which can be seen below), the LP contained 12 songs, the songs on the LP, became some of the earliest Elvis songs which I can remember.

Link to wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elvis'...cords_Volume_4 which contains the track listing for the LP.

The following songs (which appear on the LP), were previously recorded by other artists - Love Letters, Witchcraft, What'd I Say and Ain't That Loving You Baby.

Do any other Brit Movie Members, remember their first LP/earliest LP's.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    I don't remember my first LP but I remember the first single I ever bought with my own money - it was Acker Bilk's "Stranger on the Shore" which forever after was known by the family as "Strangler on the Shore"

Steve

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Acker Bilk himself used to call it "Strangler on the Floor".

When I was nine I bought The Rubettes' Wear It's 'At (Polydor, 1974), from Spin-It record shop in Willesden High Road:

The hit singles from their debut LP were Sugar Baby Love (No. 1) and, as is often the case with follow-ups, the similar-sounding Tonight (#12).

I still have the gatefold album but sadly lost the cardboard beret that was enclosed in the sleeve, as seen in this image gallery (the last picture):

Wear It's 'At at Discogs

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    15 times

Probably not the absolute first LP but definitely one of the earliest

It was interesting that after I first met my now wife we found we had very similar collections - with this one, her model was wearing jeans. We never did find out which was the earlier -vs- later version of the record sleeve.

My first single - definitely Johnny Horton with The Battle of New Orleans (A side), All for the Love of a Girl (B side).

Liked
    67 times
    This was the very first Elvis LP released in the UK, and also my first, it was 1956. It cost �1. 12. 6 pence, which was a big lump out of my army pay, but I just had to have it. Just wish that I had kept it, it would be worth a lot more now.
    Attached Images

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    In the 50s my dada used to run a clothing factory.they played records over the Tannoy.i got them when they were played out.They include Al Jolson ,Danny kaye and Johnny Ray.Bit of a mixture.

Senior Member Country: England cassidy's Avatar
    Liked
    94 times
    My first LP was also an Elvis Presley. Something for Everybody (32'6d), my favourite tracks being I'm Comin' Home and Judy. Golden Discs Volume 2 was next.

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    I got my first LP with 2 pounds my uncle gave me for passing the 11-plus. It would have been 1973. I still have it and it's still one of the best rock and roll compilations ever, and the fourth side of 'new' tracks contains some gems (Billy Fury doing the Who's Long Live Rock, Viv Stanshall's Real Leather Jacket and the immortal Rock On by the film's star David Essex, for example.) Recommended to everybody.

Day.png

Those ads on TV were thrilling (that really is the word) to me - leopard skin jacketed teds (actually Ringo Starr) on the back of dodgems while Great Balls of Fire plays and lights flashed and girls squealed ... but I didn't get to see the film until about 4 years later ... I think it was a double-A.
    Last edited by Rowdon; 20-07-15 at 11:09 AM.

Senior Member Country: Germany JD_Fan's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    10678.jpg embarassing

Senior Member Country: UK agutterfan's Avatar
    Liked
    57 times
    Simon & Garfunkel's Greatest Hits (CBS 1973) which I bought myself for my 13th birthday.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowdon View Post
    I got my first LP with 2 pounds my uncle gave me for passing the 11-plus. It would have been 1973. I still have it and it's still one of the best rock and roll compilations ever, and the fourth side of 'new' tracks contains some gems (Billy Fury doing the Who's Long Live Rock, Viv Stanshall's Real Leather Jacket and the immortal Rock On by the film's star David Essex, for example.) Recommended to everybody.

Day.png

Those ads on TV were thrilling (that really is the word) to me - leopard skin jacketed teds (actually Ringo Starr) on the back of dodgems while Great Balls of Fire plays and lights flashed and girls squealed ... but I didn't get to see the film until about 4 years later ... I think it was a double-A.
    From the Rick C advert collection here's the promotion for the said "AA" picture. Many more ads and reviews in the file, but the A3 size obviously too large for scanning.Essex1.jpg

Liked
    308 times
    The front cover's of three of my earliest LP's.

Link to Discogs site - http://www.discogs.com/Bill-Haley-Th...release/411003 which contains the track listing for the Bill Haley and the Comets LP.

Link's to wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20_Gol...ch_Boys_album) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Ole_House_(album) which contain the track listings, for The Beach Boys and Shakin' Stevens LP's.

Despite the fact that I wasn't around in the 1950's and 1960's, I have always liked old music, the 50's and 60's are two of my favourite music decades.

Shakin' Stevens, is my favourite singer, from the 1980's.

Liked
    143 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick C View Post
    From the Rick C advert collection here's the promotion for the said "AA" picture. Many more ads and reviews in the file, but the A3 size obviously too large for scanning.Essex1.jpg
    I bought an original magazine advert for That'll Be The Day off a very reasonable priced seller on ebay, put it into a plastic cover and then put it somewhere safe ... that was about three months ago and I have no idea where it is! (I would have bought a full poster, but, like Rick C's version above, it's on a white background, whereas the LP is on ablack background and looks much better).

While I'm here, my first single was Help! by The Beatles - some years after it was released I must say.

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Screen Shot 2015-07-20 at 11.00.57 PM.jpg
    I was 11 years old. I was from Philly. Makes sense.

Senior Member Country: England Tonch's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    The first three vinyl LPs I ever owned...

The first was a then (1973) contemporary compilation of hits by the likes of Slade, Gary Glitter, Mott The Hoople and David Bowie. Terrific stuff.

The second, "Good Vibrations", had nothing to do with The Beach Boys but did feature Sixties hits from the likes of Sonny & Cher, The Monkees, Otis Redding and The Everly Brothers. Played it incessantly.

Finally, from '74 - the soundtrack sequel to "That'll Be The Day", a double album cross section of Sixties hits (The Hollies, The Supremes, Manfred Mann, Del Shannon, Hendrix, Clapton and tons more besides) with a fourth side dominated by David Essex and his fictitious "Stray Cats". Still wish it was available on CD.

Those of my generation still feel a certain frisson of nostalgia at the words "K-Tel", "Ronco" and "Arcade"
    Last edited by Tonch; 21-07-15 at 03:07 PM.

Senior Member Country: UK agutterfan's Avatar
    Liked
    57 times
    While I'm here, my first single was Help! by The Beatles - some years after it was released I must say.
    We believe you Rowdon, honestly!

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    The WHO Quadrophenia lp 50p from a friend from school

Liked
    143 times
    Quote Originally Posted by agutterfan View Post
    We believe you Rowdon, honestly!
    .... Phew!

Liked
    308 times

Day.png

I enjoyed watching That'll Be the Day (1973), on DVD, last month (June 2nd).

I can remember buying the Double LP (many years after the film was released), from a local Record Shop (sadly now closed).

A new DVD, about Billy Fury - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Billy-Fury-S...rds=billy+fury due to be released next month.

Senior Member Country: UK Big Figure's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    First single ..... "Hello Hello I'm back again" by Gary Glitter

Sorry
    Last edited by Big Figure; 21-07-15 at 09:27 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast