Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    Let's Be Happy (UK, 1957)

Region 2 (Europe ) DVD released on 14th September...

Greatly looking forward to seeing this new wide screen print for the
    first time ! :

A lavish British musical from the 1950s (filmed at ABPC Elstree) , this glamorous romantic
    comedy stars actress and dancer Vera-Ellen, whose Hollywood pedigree
    included films with Gene Kelly, Fred Astaire and Bing Crosby.
    Co-starring singer and actor Tony Martin and then-rising British
    starlet Zena Marshall, Let's Be Happy is featured here in a brand-new
    transfer from the original film elements, in its as-exhibited
    theatrical aspect ratio

I wonder which Uk singer dubbed Vera-Ellen's singing voice, as Vera
    couldn't hold a tune....

Network UK:
    http://networkonair.com/shop/2227-le...626437145.html

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    I shall be getting this, as I haven't seen it since 1958. The reason I got to see it was an odd one. It was an August afternoon, dull and wet (so not very summery for the month). I was eleven years old and for some reason had gone in to the F.W. Woolworth's store in Market Street, Longton, Stoke on Trent. When I came out, it was thundering and lightning and absolutely tippling down. I hurriedly crossed Market Street and went up to the Focus cinema and, purely for somewhere to shelter, paid my ninepence at the pay box and went in out of the storm and the film that was showing was Let's Be Happy in CinemaScope and Technicolor. It was the only film I saw in a cinema that I hadn't intended to go and see. I just saw it by a fluke and, as far as I can recall, I thought it was very colourful and entertaining. As Michael Caine might say about the anecdote above: "Notta lotta people know dat!"

The original CinemaScope trailer has just gone up on YouTube. This is the first time I've seen this trailer, as my film diary shows that I didn't go to the Focus to see anything the previous week, so I would not have seen this trailer at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QkSCxqCdGk
    Last edited by darrenburnfan; 03-09-15 at 12:27 PM.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by julian_craster View Post
    Let's Be Happy (UK, 1957)

Region 2 (Europe ) DVD released on 14th September...

Greatly looking forward to seeing this new wide screen print for the
    first time ! :

It looks like it's degraded to a heavy dose of pink

Steve

Liked
    103 times
    'Think Pink ! ' sings Kay in Funny Face . It suits some films....

Liked
    98 times
    Let's Be Gay! exclaims the first caption on the trailer, which shows how the meaning of that word has changed since 1957.

Liked
    98 times
    From a very distant past. Weekday films on a Focus cinema, Longton, Stoke on Trent, programme card for August, 1958.

Liked
    98 times
    I received my copy today and it's an excellent CinemaScope transfer with beautiful colour (far better than the images seen in in post # 1 above). Filmed in the summer of 1956, the locations, including Edinburgh and Loch Lomond, are really eye catching and this film does for Edinburgh what Three Coins In The Fountain, also in CinemaScope, did for Rome. They still had double decker tramcars in Edinburgh in 1956 and the film is so clear, it looks like it was filmed yesterday instead of nearly sixty years ago. A very entertaining romantic musical with stunning set pieces; some catchy numbers and an unusual feel about it.

Liked
    103 times
    I agree !

Just watched the new DVD...Superb picture quality.....It has never looked so good ...

Look out for such Britmovie favourites as Molly Weir (Life with the Lyons), Eric Pohlmann, Gordon Jackson, Guy Middleton, Alfred Burke, Eugene Deckers

Here are some screen grabs to illustrate (the slight squeeze is not present on the tv picture, only on the screen grabs )

Zena Marshall (above)

Liked
    98 times
    Yes, with a little cropping and horizontal stretching, this is what it looks like on your wide screen computer, laptop or television.

Liked
    103 times
    Looks good ! I have several more screen grabs, but cannot seems to stretch them....

As with all Network DVDs the price is cheaper if you order direct from Network (postage is free, and delivery is quick).

Amazon is currently three pounds dearer for this title, and they charge for postage if you spend less than �20......

However, if you are from outside the UK, Amazon UK may be cheaper, as Network charge a high price for overseas deliveries. They don't seem to want to encourage them !

Liked
    98 times
    I always buy Network DVDs directly from them. I haven't bought anything off amazon uk for over two years, following their decision to drop Royal Mail for their deliveries in favour of the cheapo and very unreliable couriers Amazon Logistics and Yodel, who's so-called delivery service was appalling.

You will need a Paint Shop Pro programme on your computer to crop and stretch images from 16 x 9 DVDs. Simply take the image from your pictures folder to Paint Shop Pro; then crop it to get rid of the black bars top and bottom; save the result and then alter the image size to 100 deep by 140 across and save the result. Alternatively and much simpler, use a Quick Screen Capture programme, which is a free download, and capture the image directly from Windows Media Player image on your screen. That way, you won't need to crop or stretch it as you may have to do if the frame is captured using the PowerDVD programme.

Liked
    103 times
    Many thanks !

I think I have succeeded in doing this ....

Last edited by julian_craster; 17-09-15 at 03:36 PM.

Liked
    98 times
    That's excellent, Julian, especially as it's your first attempt.