Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Spotted in the programme for the London Film Festival, mainly for Aitch:
    Elstree 1976 (2015)

When George Lucas began to work on a mysterious project named Star Wars in North London back in 1976, no one could have predicted how it would go on to shape cinema as we know it, least of all the legions of on-screen extras. In this affectionate documentary we meet ten of those bit performers who appeared, however fleetingly, in Lucas' box office behemoth. Rather than the standard 'making of' - the likes of which have been seen countless times before - Elstree 1976 paints an intimate portrait of these performers, examining how their brushes with Lucas shaped the paths of their lives. With a cast ranging from Darth Vader himself (or David Prowse as he's better known to his friends), to a performer whose character was cut entirely from the finished film, this is not so much a film about Star Wars as the story of a group of people united by one life-changing experience. Michael Blyth

Screening on Friday 9th at Central and on Sunday 11th at the Haymarket

Steve

Banned Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    Spotted in the programme for the London Film Festival, mainly for Aitch:
    Elstree 1976 (2015)

When George Lucas began to work on a mysterious project named Star Wars in North London back in 1976, no one could have predicted how it would go on to shape cinema as we know it, least of all the legions of on-screen extras. In this affectionate documentary we meet ten of those bit performers who appeared, however fleetingly, in Lucas' box office behemoth. Rather than the standard 'making of' - the likes of which have been seen countless times before - Elstree 1976 paints an intimate portrait of these performers, examining how their brushes with Lucas shaped the paths of their lives. With a cast ranging from Darth Vader himself (or David Prowse as he's better known to his friends), to a performer whose character was cut entirely from the finished film, this is not so much a film about Star Wars as the story of a group of people united by one life-changing experience. Michael Blyth

Screening on Friday 9th at Central and on Sunday 11th at the Haymarket

Steve
    I think you'll find Crooky me auld mucker that I ( Evelyn Stonefan) have already started a thread on this topic. I forgive you though as you put the mod into moderator.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonefan View Post
    I think you'll find Crooky me auld mucker that I ( Evelyn Stonefan) have already started a thread on this topic. I forgive you though as you put the mod into moderator.
    But that was over a month ago

Steve

Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    But that was over a month ago

Steve
    Fighting talk eh? Well in that case you put the rat in moderator. X

Liked
    7 times
    Well I've just watched it. Great doc but, I've said it before and I'll say it again, the makers missed a treat not interviewing Harry Fielder. Loved it. All the actors/extras came across quite well apart from this Angus chap ( X Wing pilot who couldn't even remember his lines) who was bitter about the extras getting a slice of the action. He failed to understand that fans couldn't care less how big your role is and want to meet everyone who was in Star Wars. The Greedo bloke ( Paul Blake) was a lovely chap. He had the write attitude about it all.

Senior Member Country: England harryfielder's Avatar
    Liked
    51 times
    STAR WARS…

Director:
    George Lucas

Writer:
    George Lucas

Cast

Mark Hamill ... Luke Skywalker

Harrison Ford ... Han Solo

Carrie Fisher ... Princess Leia Organa

Peter Cushing ... Grand Moff Tarkin

Alec Guinness ... Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Anthony Daniels ... C-3PO
    Kenny Baker ... R2-D2

Peter Mayhew ... Chewbacca
    David Prowse ... Darth Vader

James Earl Jones ... Darth Vader (voice)
    Phil Brown ... Uncle Owen
    Shelagh Fraser ... Aunt Beru
    Jack Purvis ... Chief Jawa
    Alex McCrindle ... General Dodonna
    Eddie Byrne ... General Willard

After finishing a couple of Doctor Who’s Central Casting sent me to E.M.I. Studios to work on another space film for seven days.
    I did ask them if they had any other work because I was fed up with wearing space outfits and the like… (Little did I know about STAR WARS).
    There must have been about fifty Supporting Artists gathered on the first day, some putting on white space type suits, some being fitted out in weird make up and costumes and the rest of us waited around to see what we were going to be.

We had plenty of time to sit around chatting and playing the odd game of cards.
    When myself and a chap called Ronnie Conrad got a call to go to the wardrobe dept, They dressed us in black space type suits but without a facemask…(Were they telling us we were ugly enough to look like aliens).
    When we were dressed we sat at the back of the set and waited to do our bit.
    I got talking to a giant of a man (Dave Prowse) from the West Country and he told me he was playing a character called ‘’Daft Ada’’.
    I found out later that day he was playing ‘’DARTH VADER’’ (It must have been Dave’s strong Cornish accent that made it sound wrong).
    Ronnie and I did some odd bits during the week and then the 2nd A.D. called for us to do a bit of business with our old mate ‘’DARTH’’.
    We were going to arrest Princess LEIA (Carrie Fisher)…
    Carrie’s parents were Eddie Fisher (singer) and Debbie Reynolds (singer/actress). Debbie starred in the film ‘’Singing In The Rain’’ in 1952 and I, as a twelve year old, was in love with her... (It soon passed).
    Anyway lets get back to ‘’DAFT’’.

Darth, Ronnie and I walk along some corridors and then into the cell where The Princess was being held. Darth had all the lines to say while Ronnie and I stood there looking ugly. (Typecast)
    In between lighting the set Carrie was very chatty and asked what else we had done in films. (Has she got that much time to spare?)
    I also met Harrison Ford and was to work with him again over the next few years.
    Star Wars was the highest grossing money film that I ever worked on.
    Some say it took a Billion Dollars at the box office and video sales…
    I earned �11 per day for seven days. Total �77. What’s the % ?…
    Twenty five years later I am held in deep respect for being one of "DAFT ADA’S" men, by my Grandchildren… Thanks Mr Lucas…

Liked
    7 times
    Thanks Harry. Lovely anecdote. How are you keeping by the way?

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    I agree. Such historical anecdotes are priceless, Harry. It's good to know you're still around 40 years later.
    Last edited by darrenburnfan; 01-06-16 at 08:31 PM.

Senior Member Country: England harryfielder's Avatar
    Liked
    51 times
    I'm getting better....My garden looks good...(ouch, me back)..... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...i.jpg~original