Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    The killer and the kid...the theme is almost as old as crime itself. But, in Rank’s Tiger Bay (filmed in late 1958 and released in 1959), it sparks off a first class thriller in the setting of the titular run-down docks area around Cardiff. A Polish seaman, Borislav Korchinsky (Horst Buchholz), arrives home to find that his girlfriend Anya (Yvonne Mitchell) has been unfaithful. In a fit of agonized anger, he grabs hold of a revolver she is threatening him with and opens fire, killing her. But there is a witness. For, peeping curiously through the letter-box and seeing the whole sordid business (just as Bobby Driscoll did in The Window), is a tomboyish eleven years old girl, Gillie (Hayley Mills). When the sailor realizes this, he abducts her and toys briefly with the idea of killing her, too. But he is no natural-born killer and Gillie remains resolutely trusting. The two hide out together and form a spontaneous friendship that turns into love. When the police, led by Superintendent Graham (John Mills), move in, it is Gillie, their chief witness, who tries to shield her new-found friend.

During the film, this bond of love that develops between the two runaways is so beautifully and sensitively handled, that in the end you really are hoping that the killer will be the one that got away. It is, in effect, a love story between a man and a child and one that is so beautifully done. While her reliable top-starred father John Mills takes a back seat, beautiful twelve-years-old Hayley Mills steals the film in her truly remarkable debut performance. She was a screen natural and, after Tiger Bay, you could see that it was all going to happen for her.

If the style of the superb score by Laurie Johnson sounds familiar, it is because Johnson also wrote the score for the hit movie The Moonraker a year or so earlier. The music captures brilliantly the feelings of love that Gillie and the sailor have for each other and Tiger Bay remains the true classic it was in 1959.

Some viewers may think that they’ve seen something like this storyline before somewhere and they’d be right. It is a sort of remake of the 1951 film Hunted, which had Dirk Bogarde and Jon Whiteley as the killer and the kid. In fact, J. Lee Thompson, the director of Tiger Bay, had originally intended the child’s part to be played by a boy, based as it was on Noel Calef’s story “Rudolf and the Revolver", but one day in 1958, when he was visiting John Mills at the star’s home to discuss the film with him, he admitted to John that he was having great difficulty in finding the right little boy to play the part of the child witness. However, he became fascinated by the tomboyish quality of John’s young daughter, Hayley, as she ran around the garden in her jeans and pullover and finally, he turned to John and said: “You know, I’ve been thinking…it doesn’t have to be a boy” and the rest, as they say, is history. There are also shades here of another classic film, The Fallen Idol (1948) in which an eight years old boy (Bobby Henrey) will say anything; do anything; tell any lie to the police in an attempt to save the man he idolises and loves (Ralph Richardson), who is suspected of murder.

The Front-of-House still illustrated shows, left to right, Hayley Mills; George Pastell; Horst Buchholz; John Mills and Paul Stassino in a tense moment from the film.

Last edited by darrenburnfan; 08-09-15 at 08:41 PM.

Liked
    98 times
    BELOW: Similar quad posters, seven years apart; Hayley Mills and Horst Buchholz in scenes from Tiger Bay; plus links to the original theatrical trailer for the film and the recording of the theme music that was released on a Top Rank single in 1959, 45-JAR 112.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU8GTKQFBAA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9aAgy3PAFc
    Last edited by darrenburnfan; 09-09-15 at 01:22 PM.

Liked
    98 times
    Hayley Mills as Gillie Evans in J. Lee Thompson's Tiger Bay.

Liked
    98 times
    See bottom link on post # 2 to hear the recording on this 1959 single.

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    153 times
    Unfortunately I missed this great film on its first release.
    I became a fan of Hayley in December, 1960 when I saw "Pollyanna" at my local Odeon, Southend-on-Sea, and it took me years before I finally saw "Tiger Bay".
    Great stills and review DBF.

Liked
    98 times
    Glad you like them, Stephen. I've got all eight stills from the original Front-of-House set. Hayley and I are about the same age and in those days, I was real gone on her. I thought she was the bees knees and as far as I'm concerned, I could never have enough stills of her. She really sent me. In fact she sent me so far, I haven't come back yet! I've also got a complete original Front-of-House set for Whistle Down The Wind. Some are very hard to find, though. I've yet to come across a complete original set for The Parent Trap on eBay, not even any single Front-of-House stills from that set and I've been an eBayer for nearly 14 years.

Liked
    98 times
    On location, Horst Buchholz signs autographs and makes friends with the children in the Tiger Bay area of Cardiff; Hayley and John Mills filming a scene at Avonmouth Docks in Bristol; Horst, Hayley and John on the Barry Pilot boat and Horst and Hayley taking a stroll together between scenes.

Liked
    98 times
    Three more 8 x 10 press stills.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    This recently-appeared advertisement from the American press (not known whether national or just local to the specific cinema), has an extension to the title which ponders the question, has the title been altered to steer audiences away from thinking of a social comment film and towards a more Famous-Five type adventure?

http://cinematreasures.org/photos/186997

Liked
    98 times
    The Americans were always changing the titles of British films. On this one, just Tiger Bay would have sufficed.