Junior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi, hoping someone can help.

Back in the 70's and 80's - and before I guess - it was common for two films to be shown at the cinema (nostalgic memories of watching the first film before the cry of "Peaaaanuts! Jungle Fresh" and "Kia-ora", and buying ice cream during the intermission). The first film, or those I saw - were mainly 'documentary' in style, usually factual. But there was one that has always eluded me

From memory, the film opens on what appears to be an Army training establishment, with recruits doing various activities (for some reasons a scene of a Karate style punching kata stands out). The recruits, I think, are mixed race. One recruit is taken aside, and told that his final test is to go somewhere and do something. He drives off in a landrover to a building, finds a dead body. Might have an altercation with someone? Gets into the landrover, and is killed from behind (garroted or throat cut). The assailant might be female. Closing credits end with a caption along the lines of "training establishments such as those depicted do not exist in the UK. Yet."

Purpose of the bold is to establish what I am certain I remember, rather than "filling in the blanks". I cant remember exactly when the film was shown, certainly not after 1983, and I'm thinking it was between 1981-83. I can't remember what the main film was - Who Dares Wins is the obvious choice, and was released in that period.

Ring any bells from cinema goers at the time? FWIW, it was shown either at The Gaumont or The ABC in Bournemouth (leaning toward the former); ISTR this was still a time when cinemas were locally owned, and not part of a national chain, so it is possible that only the feature film had a national release and local cinemas choose what additional film, if any, to show. Ah, the days of "Pearl and Dean" and "Rank Screen Advertising" and their catchy "dah-da-da-dah, da-dada da-da-dah" tune, extolling the virtues of the "Persian Tandori" at 216 Wallisdown Road Sorry, I digress!

On a related note, what term was given to the film that preceeded the main feature film?

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    4 times
    I believe it might be this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0844003/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_1

Written by regular Pete Walker/Norman Warren collaborator (and Julian Clary gag-writer) David McGillivray.

Junior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Hmm, possibly, although the story line isn't familiar; he wasn't wounded, and he didn't meet anybody.

Thanks, though.

Liked
    4 times
    It's possible the storyline given by IMDB isn't quite the storyline of the film. The entries generally get added by people who've seen the movies in question (from what I'm told anyway) and not many seem to have seen THE ERRAND. At least not that many who regularly browse the site, anyway. Even I can't remember it fully, and I own a copy....I shall have to search for it, dig it out, and check. Though not straight away as I have a hefty workload on.

Ironically, if it is the film you're after, then that means lots of people did see it the first time- but have probably forgotten it now. Assuming they're still around of course!!!
    Last edited by Jack Gurney; 30-09-15 at 07:22 PM.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    films that preceded the main feature film were referred to as either a short subject or more generally the supporting programme, which usually included a short film a cartoon and a Pathe News or Look at Life etc.

Liked
    4 times
    Sorry for not having checked out THE ERRAND yet- I really am ludicrously busy, and aren't going to have much free time until about January, if I'm honest.

However, since we last spoke, I've also been informed of a similarly-themed Screen Two or Play For Today episode from the 80s, starring Ian Hart and entitled THE EXERCISE. Therefore, this might be another path to investigate...
    Last edited by Jack Gurney; 05-11-15 at 11:30 PM.