Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    They once knocked on my door and started with the usual "Isn't it terrible that there's so much evil in the world" to which I responded "No, I'm quite glad about it"

They ran off down the path thinking that they'd found a son of Satan

Had they given me a chance I would have expanded on that comment saying that without the evil in the world you can't tell how good the good stuff is

Steve
    Good point Steve..

Senior Member Country: England Johnallan's Avatar
    Liked
    17 times
    Some years ago on the radio, I heard (I think Alan Coren) relating the strategy of someone he knew when the JWs knocked on his door. He would say “Oh I’m so glad to see you – I’m Jehovah – how are we doing?”

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    A very beautiful film. I saw it on television several times on the CBS Children's Film Festival in the late 60s. I am Catholic and had a friend who was a Jewish girl; we were about the same age as the children. I loved it. This brings back wonderful memories. Every scene is clear in my mind

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    I can see why you'd be able to identify with it, Tim. It's available on Region 1 DVD as well as Region 2, so I hope you've been able to add it to your collection.

Liked
    98 times
    Just arrived in my collection, this superb 8 x 10 press still of Philip Needs and Loretta Parry taken to publicise Hand in Hand.
    There is another one on its way to me that I expect to receive in the next few days.

Liked
    98 times
    As promised, just arrived in my collection. This still from Hand in Hand was taken so long ago (over 56 years),
    that Philip and Loretta must be eligible for their bus passes by now.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    I'm 62 and have been turned down for a bus pass by West Midlands Travel (Black Country sub-region) as the eligible year has shot up to 65 now in these parts. In more leafy boroughs of the UK I think you can still get them at 60. Hmm. Maybe after 56 years our two stars here are well deserved recipients lol

Liked
    98 times
    Amazingly, here in Stoke on Trent, I was awarded my bus pass when I was 60, which is now nine and a half years ago. Someone has reported on the IMDb that sadly, Philip (or Phillip) Needs passed away on March 8th this year, aged 65. Loretta, if she is still with us, would be around the same age.

Incidentally, the SC prefix on the bottom left hand corner of the still denotes The Star and The Cross, the title under which the film was made in the summer of 1960, when Philip would have been nine and a half.
    Last edited by darrenburnfan; 26-10-16 at 07:43 AM.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    Amazingly, here in Stoke on Trent, I was awarded my bus pass when I was 60, which is now nine and a half years ago.
    Here in the Great Wen (London) TFL let us have free travel on buses and trains (including tubes) from the age of 60 with the TFL 60+ Oyster card
    https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payment...-london-oyster

But I haven't applied for one yet, despite being 62

Steve

Liked
    98 times
    Because of health reasons, I don't go out much these days and so don't use my bus pass very much. But I'm grateful for it when I do occasionally use it, because the bus fares here are quite expensive...around �3 return to go from here to the city centre and back, a round trip of only three miles. I hope that the TFL bus fares are cheaper than that.

David.

Liked
    418 times
    Because of health reasons, I don't go out much these days and so don't use my bus pass very much. But I'm grateful for it when I do occasionally use it, because the bus fares here are quite expensive...around �3 return to go from here to the city centre and back, a round trip of only three miles. I hope that the TFL bus fares are cheaper than that.

David.
    I wouldn't know offhand. I just swipe my Oyster card and some money is taken off the credit on it. When the credit on the card gets too low they automatically top it up from my bulging bank account

(Looks it up)
    Apparently it's �1.50 per journey wherever you want to go on all London buses that display the red roundel
    You can't use cash to pay for your bus fare, only the Oyster card

Steve

Liked
    98 times
    That's amazing, Steve. Even if you can't pay with cash and only an Oyster card. London is a massive area and to be able to travel from south to north for only �1:50 is really cheap. Only problem is that if you are a visitor to London and you haven't got an Oyster card and you don't know where to get one from, it means you can't travel on the buses or the tube. However, if you have an OAP bus pass, I guess they'll let you on the bus with that.

David.

Liked
    418 times
    That's amazing, Steve. Even if you can't pay with cash and only an Oyster card. London is a massive area and to be able to travel from south to north for only �1:50 is really cheap. Only problem is that if you are a visitor to London and you haven't got an Oyster card and you don't know where to get one from, it means you can't travel on the buses or the tube. However, if you have an OAP bus pass, I guess they'll let you on the bus with that.

David.
    Only if it's a TFL (Transport for London) bus pass, they won't let you on by just showing your birth certificate or any other ID. The main advantage of Oyster cards is that they get everyone through the gates very quickly

Almost every newsagent, to tobacconist & sweet shop in the Greater London area sells Oyster Cards with some credit on it. But for the special discount cards (like OAP or disabled cards) you have to order them in advance via the web site.

There's always London black cabs

Steve

Liked
    98 times
    The latest vintage 8 x 10 press still from Hand in Hand to arrive in my collection, with, left to right, Loretta Parry; Dame Sybil Thorndike and Philip Needs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12