Thread: B&W Sci fi

Senior Member Country: Moldova Midwich cuckoo's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Twenty five to thirty years ago, I came home from my Friday evening shenanigans to catch the beginning of a British Science fiction film, I think from the late fifties or early sixties. All I can remember now is a street scene (I think in a modern 'new' town) where a man is walking along and is suddenly struck down by a sudden attack of something. I think it happens to everyone else in the street, including the people who go to his aid. His face is covered in spots. After that I have no more memory other than the fact that the picture quality seemed very sharp (is this what is referred to as print quality?). Can anyone recognise this film from the brief description ? MC

Senior Member Country: Australia wadsy's Avatar
    Liked
    40 times
    The spots on his face sounds like "They Came From Beyond Space" (1967) but this is a colour film!

Senior Member Country: UK SilverTyne's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Picture of said spots in a rather amusing review of 'They Came From Beyond Space' here. Might jog the memory?

http://www.millionmonkeytheater.com/...yondSpace.html

Senior Member Country: England cassidy's Avatar
    Liked
    94 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverTyne View Post
    Picture of said spots in a rather amusing review of 'They Came From Beyond Space' here. Might jog the memory?

http://www.millionmonkeytheater.com/...yondSpace.html
    Well spotted !

Senior Member Country: UK SilverTyne's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cassidy View Post
    Well spotted !
    Thank you for that rather 'rash' comment.

*here all week*

Senior Member Country: Moldova Midwich cuckoo's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Doesn't look like 'They came from Beyond Space' at all I'm afraid. I'm 99% certain it was black and white and the feel of the film was a little like that of 'X The Unknown,' though without the military presence, just a street scene (perhaps a contemporary commercial street, not crowded) and a man suddenly being stricken by a 'space virus(?)' and falling down, his face covered in large, evenly spaced spots. The spots actually looked really fake but who's to know what spots caused by a 'space virus' would look like. Still really keen to know what this one is as it's been bugging me on and off for more than 25 years!

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Could be Terence Fisher's The Earth Dies Screaming.

Member Country: Great Britain Gaumont's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    No Spotted Man, but it could be a garbled memory of the opening of 'Village of the Damned" (1960). Check it out on YouTube.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Possibly Robert Day's First Man Into Space (1959) ? Many years since i've seen it, but could be a contender.

Senior Member Country: New Zealand Anthony McKay's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    There is a sci-fi virus attacking people in London in "Doctor Who and the Silurians" for quite a while there was only a B&W versions of this available.

Senior Member Country: England cassidy's Avatar
    Liked
    94 times
    I wonder if that modern new town could be the tall dome like buildings in Quatermass 2 ?

Liked
    4 times
    UNEARTHLY STRANGER perhaps? I'm sure that begins with one character walking along a London street then falling down as the result of some form of extra-terrestrial interference...

Liked
    0 times
    he's being chased by something unseen (John Neville ) in Unearthly Stranger, but he doesn't fall down

+ it doesn't involve an "attack of the zits " !

Liked
    4 times
    That's it, John Neville. Couldn't remember whether it was him, Warren Mitchell or someone else. Christ, it's been a long time since I saw that film!!