Member Country: England Sangster09's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Just wondered if anyone knows anything about this special edition anamorphically enhanced 2.35:1 DVD of The Day of the Triffids 1963 on Amazon in France..

Now I realise there are some poor editions doing the rounds.And that confidence is a bit low on getting a decent transfer.
    However I note there has been talk of a print being restored.

I cannot find any comment on this DVD.

There is a suggestion on a Blu-ray.com thread that it might be a transfer of this cleaned up print.

Here's the link to amazon.fr http://www.amazon.fr/La-R�volte-Trif...mg_top?ie=UTF8

Any inside views on this.Anyone seen the transfer ?

Thanks

Member Country: England Sangster09's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    OK....I've just seen a French DVD review.I translated it using a free online website and it's states the image is not enhanced and is also not 2.35.
    They also show some screen grabs.and the transfer looks no better than the best that might be available from Amazon here in the UK.

Thanks for looking.

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    The Day Of The Triffids was originally a Rank release in the UK and most of the Rank back catalogue is now owned by Carlton and they are notorious for releasing DVDs of Rank CinemaScope films that have been transferred from decades old 4 x 3 shape pan and scan transfers originally made for ancient television screenings. So even if they do release the film on DVD it'll only be in pan and scan, because they can't be bothered to have the film remastered for DVD and just pull the oldest transfer they've got off the shelf. However, about 14 years ago, it may be more, I remember buying a VHS video of the film from a company who's name I don't recall and it was transferred in full CinemaScope. The picture quality was as good as you could get on a video, but the sound was very faulty and so low that I had to turn my television up full blast before I could hear anything at all on the recording. I complained to the company about this and, while agreeing the sound level was very low, they told me that they had, at great cost, had the transfer done for them by BBC Enterprises and shortly thereafter withdrew the video from release. It seems that the BBC Enterprises quality control failed abysmally on that transfer. So there is a wide screen version knocking around somewhere.

Senior Member Country: UK Nick Cooper's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    However, about 14 years ago, it may be more, I remember buying a VHS video of the film from a company who's name I don't recall and it was transferred in full CinemaScope. The picture quality was as good as you could get on a video, but the sound was very faulty and so low that I had to turn my television up full blast before I could hear anything at all on the recording. I complained to the company about this and, while agreeing the sound level was very low, they told me that they had, at great cost, had the transfer done for them by BBC Enterprises and shortly thereafter withdrew the video from release. It seems that the BBC Enterprises quality control failed abysmally on that transfer. So there is a wide screen version knocking around somewhere.
    Second Sight release the film of DVD in 1997, and on DVD in 2001.

Senior Member Country: UK Nick Cooper's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    All of the above not withstanding, one should alway beware of French-produced DVDs, as they invariably force French subtitles on any non-French soundtrack, even when there is also a French language soundtrack.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Cooper View Post
    All of the above not withstanding, one should alway beware of French-produced DVDs, as they invariably force French subtitles on any non-French soundtrack, even when there is also a French language soundtrack.
    Not always, but often

The DVDs in the L'Institut Lumi�re set of Powell & Pressburger films are perfectly language friendly.
    The films all have their original English (mainly) soundtracks with optional French or English subtitles
    All of the many extras are either in French with optional English subtitles or are in English with optional French subtitles

49th Parallel (1941) [49e Parall�le]
    The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943) [Colonel Blimp]
    A Canterbury Tale (1944)
    I Know Where I'm Going! (1945) [Je sais o� je vais]
    Black Narcissus (1947) [Le Narcisse noir]
    The Red Shoes (1948) [Les Chaussons rouges]
    Peeping Tom (1960) [Le Voyeur]

All available from Amazon.fr

Steve