Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    Recorded this from the London live channel before Christmas and just got round to watching it. What a really charming little film full of lovely performances from a cast of wonderful british actors/actresses, including Sid James, Megs Jenkins, Wlfirid Hyde-White, Constance Cummings,Peter Sellers,Moira Lister. From a time that now seems long ago and far away, alas.

Senior Member Country: England phil's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    I agree with you pelam, a memorable and charming film. The cast are perfect for their roles, and you know Sid will come round in the end. I remember it took me maybe 4 attempts to record this off the telly, it was back in the 80s and was always shown it the afternoons. Either there was a power cut, or a change of schedule, or I'd forgotten to rewind the tape.

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    I wonder what became of Colin Gibson and Lesley Dudley who played John and Julie. They must be around 70 by now. Colin stopped acting in 1956, but Lesley went on acting until 1963.

Senior Member Country: Ireland Edward G's Avatar
    Liked
    107 times
    Bought the DVD a while back and watched it with my daughter, who surprisingly enough (to me, anyway!) quite enjoyed it.
    A charming and engaging film, nicely filmed and performed from a much simpler (alas) time.
    Has me on the trail of more British movies from that time.

Liked
    98 times
    Although it was an ABC circuit release during August, 1955, I've looked through all my ABC Film Review magazines for that year and there's no review of the film or any stills from it in any of the issues. Perhaps it was going to be released on the Rank circuit and ABC took it up at the last minute. Anyway, there's a centre pages pictorial souvenir of it in the August 13th, 1955, issue of Picture Show, that I'm expecting this week. When it arrives, I'll scan the page and upload it here.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    Although it was an ABC circuit release during August, 1955, I've looked through all my ABC Film Review magazines for that year and there's no review of the film or any stills from it in any of the issues. Perhaps it was going to be released on the Rank circuit and ABC took it up at the last minute. Anyway, there's a centre pages pictorial souvenir of it in the August 13th, 1955, issue of Picture Show, that I'm expecting this week. When it arrives, I'll scan the page and upload it here.
    Can't quite recall the year I first saw it on TV, late 80's, circa 90 probably, but for years after I wondered where the quaint looking town where the kiddies board the Coach for London was, purchased the film on DVD a few years ago and eventually ascertained it was Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire, the same town backdrop can be seen in the earlier part of 'Brief encounter' where Celia Johnson walks along the street with her shopping basket, having the appearance of a washer woman.

Liked
    98 times
    Yes, it is Beaconsfield, Mark. But I suppose it looks completely different now to how it looked in the film over sixty years ago. Colin Gibson's clothes now look as if they're out of the Ark. I used to wear a long mackintosh (albeit a navy blue one) belted at the waist like he was wearing and a schoolboy cap in those days and, looking back on it, it must have looked dreadful. Lesley Dudley's clothing looked much better.

Liked
    98 times
    Picture Show dated August 13th, 1955.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    Sad to learn that Patric Doonan ,who played the bike shop owner 'Jim Webber', comitted suicide just a couple of years later aged just 32.

Liked
    98 times
    Yes, according to the IMDb, he killed himself on March 10th, 1958. No information as to why he'd do such a terrible thing. In fact, hardly any information at all about him on the Internet. But at the time, he was engaged to actress Ann Firbank. Perhaps something went drastically wrong with their relationship and he couldn't cope with it.