Thread: Helen Mirren

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mikey's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I recently came across an interview with Helen Mirren that she gave with the Daily Mail in 2014, where she said that her first movie appearance was as an uncredited extra in The Spy with a Cold Nose.

I’ve not been able to positively identify her, although I thought that this restaurant girl who has no dialogue might be her.

Apologies that the quality is not all it could be, but does anyone agree?

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    I see more of a resemblance to Jennifer Daniel to be honest, Mikey!:

Liked
    0 times
    Cornershop

Thanks for taking the time to look at this.

Yes, you have a point there. I obviously need to go through the movie again and see if I can find her.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times
    I thought Helen's first film was Herostratus released 1967 but filmed in 1964.

Liked
    177 times
    I think I can be of help with another uncredited actress, though. While looking for references to The Spy with a Cold Nose at various newspaper archives earlier (for your Locations thread), I discovered Joan Crane is in it too. Another young blonde, but not the one in your screencap. If you manage to find both that will be a great achievement.

Coincidentally, it was 50 years ago yesterday that Pickles the dog (who also has a part in the film) found the World Cup.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by philly View Post
    I thought Helen's first film was Herostratus released 1967 but filmed in 1964.
    philly

Read it for yourself, Helen's own words not mine.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...s-naughty.html
    Last edited by Mikey; 28-03-16 at 05:35 PM.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cornershop15 View Post
    I think I can be of help with another uncredited actress, though. While looking for references to The Spy with a Cold Nose at various newspaper archives earlier (for your Locations thread), I discovered Joan Crane is in it too. Another young blonde, but not the one in your screencap. If you manage to find both that will be a great achievement.

Coincidentally, it was 50 years ago yesterday that Pickles the dog (who also has a part in the film) found the World Cup.
    Cornershop

I need to look at the sequence where Laurence Harvey goes into his animal hospital called The Ark, and there are various blonde young women tending to the animals there.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times
    Thanks for link Mikey, she has obviously forgotten about Herostratus, after all it is over 50 years ago.

Liked
    0 times
    Unfortunately, I have had no luck with this one. As mentioned previously there are several blonde women in the foyer of The Ark animal hospital, plus others in the scene set behind Buckingham Palace and later there is a solitary blonde in the nightclub where patrons converse with each other by the telephones on their tables. However, there are no close-ups to allow me to identify Helen Mirren or Joan Crane.

Cornershop

Yes, I was aware of Pickles being in the film, there were also various publicity stills of him at the Associated London Films/Scripts office along with his owner, Galton and Simpson and Eric Sykes

Liked
    177 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I need to look at the sequence where Laurence Harvey goes into his animal hospital called The Ark, and there are various blonde young women tending to the animals there.
    Would you mind taking another look at that scene, Mikey? One of those blondes might be Donna Reading:

As she appeared in the 25th August 1966 Daily Mirror, where it's reported "she has a part in a film called The Spy with a Cold Nose."
    Last edited by cornershop15; 12-05-16 at 06:11 PM.