Junior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi I was wondering if anybody could possibly help me. I remember a short animation from the nineties. I believe it was shown on Channel 4 and it was called something like Meat, or something similar. It was about an old man that raises a slab of meat that was actually alive. When anyone licked the meat they went on some kind of psychedelic trip. Very strange I know ha! This is about as much as I can remember unfortunately. If anyone knows the name of this it would be very much appreciated. Would also love to see it again if possible.

I'm also looking for a short film called Mirage (i think) that was on Channel 4 in the early nineties. A guy was in the desert and saw a mirage of a drinks machine. He then found a coin in the sand and put it into the machine. The drink came out, but unfortunately for the guy, went straight down the drainage part and an empty cup came out leaving the guy with no drink. It then ended ha! I'd love to see this again or if anyone knows any further details about it that would be great. Can't seem to find it anywhere.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by axl_voorhees View Post

I'm also looking for a short film called Mirage (i think) that was on Channel 4 in the early nineties. A guy was in the desert and saw a mirage of a drinks machine. He then found a coin in the sand and put it into the machine. The drink came out, but unfortunately for the guy, went straight down the drainage part and an empty cup came out leaving the guy with no drink. It then ended ha! I'd love to see this again or if anyone knows any further details about it that would be great. Can't seem to find it anywhere.
    I can't help you locate it, but you've definitely got the correct title. The earliest broadcast I can find is on Channel 4 on 29/12/1993, though that certainly wasn't the only time it was shown.

Listings blurb was merely "Short film about a thirsty man who finds a drinks dispenser in the desert.", no credits or anything like that.
    Last edited by Simon Coward; 15-04-16 at 11:14 PM.

Senior Member Country: Ireland Edward G's Avatar
    Liked
    107 times
    Sounds great!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Coward View Post
    I can't help you locate it, but you've definitely got the correct title. The earliest broadcast I can find is on Channel 4 on 29/12/1993, though that certainly wasn't the only time it was shown.

Listings blurb was merely "Short film about a thirsty man who finds a drinks dispenser in the desert.", no credits or anything like that.

Liked
    0 times

Thank you so much for this info Simon. I was wondering where do you view these listings is there a website online?

Liked
    0 times
    Thank you so much for this info Simon. I was wondering where do you view these listings is there a website online?
    I found the date using The Times Digital Archive, which is an online resource - albeit one accessible only by subscription. Thought not necessarily your own subscription, plenty of libraries have subs which allow any of their members free access.

As for the additional info, once I'd got a date I just took a look in a Radio Times to see what it said about it.

Liked
    0 times
    I found the date using The Times Digital Archive, which is an online resource - albeit one accessible only by subscription. Thought not necessarily your own subscription, plenty of libraries have subs which allow any of their members free access.

As for the additional info, once I'd got a date I just took a look in a Radio Times to see what it said about it.
    Thanks again for your info Simon. Could you poss send me a link for the archive. The one I keep finding seems to only go as far as 1985. Is there a Radio Times archive too? Or do you have these issues to hand?

Also, apologies for all the questions but could you possibly (when you have some spare time that is) have a look, if the below short film Countdown has ever aired on BBC 2 or Channel 4?

https://vimeo.com/24964352 Countdown - 1995 directed by - Marcel Kyrill Gardelli

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks again for your info Simon. Could you poss send me a link for the archive. The one I keep finding seems to only go as far as 1985. Is there a Radio Times archive too? Or do you have these issues to hand?

Also, apologies for all the questions but could you possibly (when you have some spare time that is) have a look, if the below short film Countdown has ever aired on BBC 2 or Channel 4?

https://vimeo.com/24964352 Countdown - 1995 directed by - Marcel Kyrill Gardelli
    I can tell you that I access the Times via this link - but it won't be any good to you without a Westminster Library card number. Joining the library is free, and you don't have to live anywhere near Westminster. Though you do have to visit to collect your card and present some ID. Plenty of other libraries have much the same thing though some only sign up to the (presumably cheaper) Times archive which ends in 1985.

Mirage was a fairly easy find because as a word on its own it doesn't turn up too often in TV listings in any case, and coupled with the words "desert" and "drinks dispenser" (and combinations thereof), produces a really small number to take a close look at.

Countdown, now let me see... there's been a programme called Countdown that's on five days a week for at least half the year every year for the last 33 years. Even allowing for the fact that the film you're interested in wasn't made for the first 13 of those years, to find one instance of Countdown in a TV listing in a newspaper that isn't for the game show... I did try searching for "Gardelli" or "Hoenig" in tandem but drew nothing with the latter and only numerous references to the conductor Lamberto Gardelli on Classic FM the same day as Paul Gambaccini's Countdown Top Ten for the former.

I've checked BBC 2 using their freely available search engine Genome and can't see it there, either.

I also looked at my listings for the Channel Four series Shooting Gallery, and it isn't listed there. Sorry.