Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyStranger View Post
    hodge's is glenda's son!? now that is depressing i thought her speech when thatcher popped off was her best performance ever, but that guy is to the right of tony 'wmd' blair, yuck!

He is, he's a freelance Journalist, Dan writes for the Daily Mail amongst others, sometimes he's on the couch on BBC news, I don't think mum would approve (of the Daily Mail), Glenda's returned to acting now (maybe better if she had never left), like Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    Morden has a postal address of Morden, Surrey but is in the London Borough of Merton yet it's outside the London postal districts. It's post code is SM4 not SW19 or SW20
    So we're in London but we're also in Surrey, right on the SW edge of London

Steve

I know what you mean Steve, it was all Surrey once, my grandmother was born and bred in Mitcham, it was just a quaint village in Edwardian times, when she was a young woman. (Dad was 46 when I was born 55 years ago, hence the wide timespan !)

Ilford, Barking, Romford, etc; have all been in Greater London since 1965, when the boroughs were drawn up, but they're still regarded as being 'Essex'...

Senior Member Country: UK Nick Cooper's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    So you're an Eastender?
    Nah, wrong side of the river, although Mrs C does teach in Newham (Knees up Muvva Brarn!). I steadfastly stick to my native Hull accent.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Cooper View Post
    Nah, wrong side of the river, although Mrs C does teach in Newham (Knees up Muvva Brarn!). I steadfastly stick to my native Hull accent.
    I always thought East London covered North & South of the river. The Old Kent Road is South of the Thames

But if you're really in Kent are you a Man of Kent or a Kentish Man?

Steve

Senior Member Country: England Tonch's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Morden has a postal address of Morden, Surrey but is in the London Borough of Merton yet it's outside the London postal districts. It's post code is SM4 not SW19 or SW20
    So we're in London but we're also in Surrey, right on the SW edge of London

Steve
    Slightly similar here. Hither Green in the LB of Lewisham, which is SE13, bit historically is Kent (which suits Mrs C of Royal Tunbridge Wells!).
    So you're an Eastender?

Steve
    I thought I had just about established where you two stood on being in or out of the EU and now I realise I don't even know whether you're in or out of London.

My old rule of thumb used to be if you're within a half hour walk of a Tube station, you're in London. Then a friend of a friend who came from Ongar told me in no uncertain terms that that was bullsh*t, so what do I know?

Nick may or may not be an Eastender, but is he an East Riding-er? or a man of Humberside?

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonch View Post
    My old rule of thumb used to be if you're within a half hour walk of a Tube station, you're in London. Then a friend of a friend who came from Ongar told me in no uncertain terms that that was bullsh*t, so what do I know?
    That used to be the case, quite a few decades ago. But now the tube extends out to Heathrow (Middx) in the West and they're working on extending it more in all directions.

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    9 times
    London Underground once extended even further out - there was a station which was part of the old Metropolitan system, which was on a line that in theory was supposed to go to Birmingham!

Liked
    0 times
    I always thought East London covered North & South of the river. The Old Kent Road is South of the Thames
    It's always seemed to me that colloquially when people say either East or West London, it's the bits North of the Thames, with North London in between. In contrast everything South of the river is either South East or South West, and South London means both combine. I don't think there's really a hard and fast rule, and certainly I can't see an official designation anywhere. The closest seems to be in the various regional divisions used in the London Plan. The 2008–2011 version seems pretty much how I see it, with the Thames as a dividing line, although what I would regard as East is labelled North East. The current version designates Lewisham as being East, but I doubt many of my neighbours would agree with that!

But if you're really in Kent are you a Man of Kent or a Kentish Man?
    No, a Yorkshireman in Kent! Primary loyalties, you know?! In Mrs C's case, as the dividing line is supposed to be the Medway, that would make her a Maid of Kent.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonch View Post
    I thought I had just about established where you two stood on being in or out of the EU and now I realise I don't even know whether you're in or out of London.

No, that doesn't really work, mostly because London south of the Thames isn't particularly well served by the Underground. For many years there was just the "spine" of the southern branch of the Northern line (?!), and various extremities of the District and East London lines. I think I'd have to be walking very briskly to get to get from here to New Cross, which used to be East London lin, but is now part of the Overground. I wouldn't need to, though, as I can get from door to platform of Hither Green NR station in literally four minutes, and trains into central London run every 5-10 minutes most of the day.

Nick may or may not be an Eastender, but is he an East Riding-er? or a man of Humberside?
    Technically Kingston upon Hull was always a separate city (now unitary authority) within East Yorkshire/the East Riding. We don't mention the "H-word" - probably the only thing we could ever agree on with that weird lot in Lincolnshire!

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    London Underground once extended even further out - there was a station which was part of the old Metropolitan system, which was on a line that in theory was supposed to go to Birmingham!
    Yes, Verney Junction was the furthest point north, although Brill - on a separate branch from Quainton Road, itself on the branch than now stops at Amersham - was a bit further west. Goodness knows what Zone they'd be in now, given that Amersham is Z9! That said, with TfL Rail/Crossrail/Elizabeth line reaching out to Shenfield in the East, and various bits of the Overground pushing the Zone boundary's elsewhere, who know's where it's going to end.

Ob the subject of Underground extremes, Tonch mentioned Ongar, which obviously used to be the tail end of the Central line beyond Epping, but it suffered through lack of patronage because post-War Green Belt legislation precluded residential development around the isolated intermediate stations, and Chipping Ongar itself. When I was research my book on the Underground during the War and south out Prof Patrick Abercrombie's Greater London Plan and was surprised to discover that in advocating the building of New Towns with good transport links to London (rather than simply expanding London itself), one of his case studies was one centred on Chipping Ongar and Ongar station, and would reach as far West as the previous station at Blake Hall (which was eventually closed because of a reputed usage of just six passengers a day). Abercrombie even suggested that Central line services via Ongar could eventually reach as far as Chelmsford!
    Last edited by Nick Cooper; 19-06-16 at 11:07 AM.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Shall we change the name of this thread to 'Let's talk about London Underground line extensions' lol...

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark O View Post
    Shall we change the name of this thread to 'Let's talk about London Underground line extensions' lol...
    Northern Heights!!!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    9 times
    Yes, Verney Junction was the furthest point north, although Brill - on a separate branch from Quainton Road, itself on the branch than now stops at Amersham - was a bit further west. Goodness knows what Zone they'd be in now, given that Amersham is Z9! That said, with TfL Rail/Crossrail/Elizabeth line reaching out to Shenfield in the East, and various bits of the Overground pushing the Zone boundary's elsewhere, who know's where it's going to end.
    I knew about Aylesbury, but I'd forgotten about Brill! The whole line seems slightly mad now, but Watkins did have the vision of linking it up with a channel tunnel link. Of course he's the same bloke who thought an tower at Wembley would be a great idea. Of course, when you think about it, London has expanded so much, either offically or by default, that much of the South East is one giant Metroland.

BTW - whta was the name of your book? I'm actually not a rail buff, but the roads taken and not taken when it comes to railways etc are really interesting.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    BTW - whta was the name of your book? I'm actually not a rail buff, but the roads taken and not taken when it comes to railways etc are really interesting.
    London Underground at War.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345