Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    From the DVD extras.

Liked
    98 times
    A clean shaven Andrew Keir in The Maggie, fourteen years before his title role in Hammer's Quatermass and the Pit.

Liked
    98 times
    Regarding the date of death of Tommy Kearins, I have been told by Philip Hatfield, who interviewed him on that YouTube video in 2003, that he passed away on Thursday, July 5th, 2012, aged nearly 74, in Irvine, North Ayrshire, Scotland. Philip was told the date by Tommy's grandson. Philip has already tried to upload this information onto the IMDb, but it never appeared. So I'm going to have a try at doing it.
    Last edited by darrenburnfan; 27-06-16 at 06:53 PM.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain bvs's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    As an addendum to the Maggie thread - we have just watched 'The Vital Spark' DVD - the only remaining 4/5 episodes of the series made in the early 70's with Roddy McMillan as the skipper,he had been the Mate in the 50's/60's series when Duncan Macrae had been the skipper.The Roddy McMillan episodes are really funny and the last 'episode' (Highland Voyage) is a musical special which has the 3 skippers on board (Alex Mackenzie,Duncan Macrae and Roddy McMillan).

I put 4/5 episodes because it looks like one of them might have been done as a double length special,so 4 episodes + Highland Voyage.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    Regarding the date of death of Tommy Kearins, I have been told by Philip Hatfield, who interviewed him on that YouTube video in 2003, that he passed away on Thursday, July 5th, 2012, aged nearly 74, in Irvine, North Ayrshire, Scotland. Philip was told the date by Tommy's grandson. Philip has already tried to upload this information onto the IMDb, but it never appeared. So I'm going to have a try at doing it.
    If you have proof rather than just hearsay then you can submit it with the proof to support the submission.

Steve

Liked
    98 times
    Well, Steve, short of scanning the death certificate, which I haven't got, and uploading it onto Photobucket and then giving the IMDb the link to the scan, I don't see how I could prove to them the date of his death. So either they believe Philip Hatfield, a friend of the Kearins family, who interviewed Tommy Kearins on video in 2003, or they don't.

David.

Liked
    418 times
    Well, Steve, short of scanning the death certificate, which I haven't got, and uploading it onto Photobucket and then giving the IMDb the link to the scan, I don't see how I could prove to them the date of his death. So either they believe Philip Hatfield, a friend of the Kearins family, who interviewed Tommy Kearins on video in 2003, or they don't.

David.
    That's exactly the sort of proof of the date of death that some people provide. Either that or the URL of its being reported in a newspaper obituary with the actual date of death mentioned

That's the sort of proof they require to add a date of death

Steve

Liked
    98 times
    I Googled Tommy Kearins, Irvine, North Ayrshire, Scotland, death 2012, but no newspaper report came up. Maybe it wasn't in the paper at the time. But Euryale has found a record of his death, which can be found on post # 196 at this link on the Actors and Actresses section.

http://filmdope.com/forums/ac...ppened-10.html

David.

Liked
    418 times
    I Googled Tommy Kearins, Irvine, North Ayrshire, Scotland, death 2012, but no newspaper report came up. Maybe it wasn't in the paper at the time. But Euryale has found a record of his death, which can be found on post # 196 at this link on the Actors and Actresses section.

David.
    Some people do "slip off the radar" without their deaths being reported in any newspapers.
    That's the sort of thing that needs to be sent as supporting evidence, official documents

Steve

Liked
    80 times

David.
    There was a newspaper announcement, DBF, in the Glasgow Evening Times:

http://familynotices.eveningtimes.co...f8ef89e7c1cz3r

That with the death record is unequivocal evidence. If you still have problems, let me know - I'll be happy to make the submission to IMDB.

E.

Liked
    98 times
    Amazing, Euryale. I couldn't find that in my Google searches. I submitted the date and place of his passing to the IMDb yesterday, but they haven't included it on his page yet. You can have a go if you like, just in case they ignore my submission, although I did get an automated acknowledgement for it.
    Last edited by darrenburnfan; 28-06-16 at 11:58 AM.

Liked
    80 times
    Amazing, Euryale. I couldn't find that in my Google searches. I submitted the date and place of his passing to the IMDb yesterday, but they haven't included it on his page yet. You can have a go if you like, just in case they ignore my submission, although I did get an automated acknowledgement for it.
    At present it seems to be taking about a week after submission for dates of death to appear at the IMDB. However, I have submitted Tommy's details to them so they can't say they weren't told!

I've also added his full birth name and the fact that he was born in the Tradeston area of Glasgow.

E.

Liked
    98 times
    That's great, Euryale. You're really excellent at tracking down this information. I wouldn't have a clue how to do it as good as you. I've often wondered how the birth and death details of even minor stars and film crew get uploaded on the IMDb. Take Darren Burn, for instance, born Darren Colin Burn at the Victoria hospital, Wood Street, Barnet, on August 28th, 1961, and found dead through suicide aged 30 on October 30th, 1991, at his flat in Grosvenor Terrace, Southwark, London. I know that because I've researched it. But somebody uploaded those details onto the IMDb and to do that, they must have had access to either government records or newspaper reports so as for the information to be accepted by the IMDb. But I've never come across any birth or death notices for Darren that were published in newspapers. They must exist somewhere, but I can't find them. I suppose they would have been in the local papers for the Barnet and Southwark areas, but not necessarily Southwark, as his parents and sister may have lived elsewhere in London at the time and maybe the death notice was put in a paper nearer to where they lived.

Liked
    98 times
    The working title for the film while it was being made in the summer of 1953 was Highland Fling and it wasn't retitled The Maggie until it was submitted to the British Board of Film Censors for classification in early February, 1954. In America, the official release title was High and Dry, but some American lobby cards of the time show that it was also shown there under the title The Maggie.

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Euryale View Post
    At present it seems to be taking about a week after submission for dates of death to appear at the IMDB.
    Check the IMDb Processing Times page
    That let's you see how they're doing in processing submissions

They've currently processed Date of death submissions up to 20 June 2016
    Any submitted before then have been rejected

Steve

Liked
    80 times
    That's great, Euryale. You're really excellent at tracking down this information. I wouldn't have a clue how to do it as good as you. I've often wondered how the birth and death details of even minor stars and film crew get uploaded on the IMDb. Take Darren Burn, for instance, born Darren Colin Burn at the Victoria hospital, Wood Street, Barnet, on August 28th, 1961, and found dead through suicide aged 30 on October 30th, 1991, at his flat in Grosvenor Terrace, Southwark, London. I know that because I've researched it. But somebody uploaded those details onto the IMDb and to do that, they must have had access to either government records or newspaper reports so as for the information to be accepted by the IMDb. But I've never come across any birth or death notices for Darren that were published in newspapers. They must exist somewhere, but I can't find them. I suppose they would have been in the local papers for the Barnet and Southwark areas, but not necessarily Southwark, as his parents and sister may have lived elsewhere in London at the time and maybe the death notice was put in a paper nearer to where they lived.
    I use several different archives, DBF, some have to be paid for, some not. I don't have any particular skills for it - the main things I think you need for genealogy are time and effort - and fortitude! You may run into many dead ends before you find the info. you want or you may not find it all!

Re: Darren - I would think someone searched local newspaper archives - perhaps at a library. Unfortunately many regional papers aren't digitalised and may never be. If you know a person's birth/marriage/death dates, you can send off for the relevant certificates - maybe someone did that for Darren.

E.

Liked
    80 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    Check the IMDb Processing Times page
    That let's you see how they're doing in processing submissions

They've currently processed Date of death submissions up to 20 June 2016
    Any submitted before then have been rejected

Steve
    Well, when you make a submission (usually births/deaths/marriages in my case), it says that contribution cannot be re-submitted for 14 days. Very occasionally, after that period of time, I've found some item I've submitted e.g. a birth-name, hasn't been added. I've immediately re-submitted it and as far as I can recall it was added within the hour!

I think data is sometimes missed rather than rejected. I find much of the time that stuff I submit - i.e. birth dates, birth names, and marriages - whether new info. or amendments to existing details - appear almost at once on an actor's profile. I still have to wait the statutory time for my deaths to be added though! If they trust you, do they let some submissions go through automatically then?

E.

Liked
    98 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Euryale View Post
    Re: Darren - I would think someone searched local newspaper archives - perhaps at a library. Unfortunately many regional papers aren't digitalised and may never be. If you know a person's birth/marriage/death dates, you can send off for the relevant certificates - maybe someone did that for Darren.E.
    Well, I bought Darren's birth and death certificates online some years ago now, to be sure of the dates. But even if someone else did that, the IMDb will only accept Internet links to the information and if the local newspapers containing his birth and death reports cannot be linked to digitally, I don't know how they could have uploaded the information unless it was uploaded by someone working at the IMDb who knew the dates and uploaded the details himself.

Liked
    80 times
    Well, I bought Darren's birth and death certificates online some years ago now, to be sure of the dates. But even if someone else did that, the IMDb will only accept Internet links to the information and if the local newspapers containing his birth and death reports cannot be linked to digitally, I don't know how they could have uploaded the information unless it was uploaded by someone working at the IMDb who knew the dates and uploaded the details himself.
    But surely you could scan or photograph the document then upload it to somewhere like Photobucket. That would give you a URL link which could be submitted to IMDB.

E.

Liked
    418 times
    The IMDb will accept scans of real certificates. They can recognise real certificates. But scan the whole certificate, not just the part with the person's name on it

Steve

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast