Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Thanks, Rick. I was thinking the same. I mean, why not tunnel underneath the river, like they did with the Mersey tunnel? However, this is the River Clyde in Glasgow in the photo and is a real location.

Liked
    98 times
    The latest vintage 8 x 10 glossy press still from The Maggie to arrive in my collection, with Tommy Kearins; Paul Douglas and Alex Mackenzie. Here, the old puffer runs aground on a reef towards the end of the film and the only way to get it afloat again is to throw the valuable cargo overboard into the sea.

Liked
    98 times
    The latest vintage 8 x 10 still from The Maggie to arrive in my collection. This may depict a scene from the end of the film that was shot differently to how it appears here. I'll have to run the end of the film again to be sure, but I don't think Tommy Kearins shook hands with Paul Douglas, just wished him good luck. If so, then the still shows a different take of the scene and one that got left on the proverbial cutting room floor.

Liked
    98 times
    Well, I've just run the film again and there is no scene in it where Tommy and Paul shake hands...although the above still probably represents a scene that was shot that way and didn't make it to the completed film.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    Well, I've just run the film again and there is no scene in it where Tommy and Paul shake hands...although the above still probably represents a scene that was shot that way and didn't make it to the completed film.
    Even official stills often portray scenes that aren't in the film. They can often be in the costume & make-up used in the film. But think about it. These aren't just snaps but carefully set up, posed and lit, stills. They needed to interrupt the filming to take the stills, arrange the people and the lighting (which will often need to be different to that used for the film)

Steve

Liked
    98 times
    Yes, I see what you mean, Steve. I have a number of stills showing scenes that aren't exactly what is seen in the release version of the film.

David.

Liked
    98 times
    The latest vintage 8 x 10 press still from The Maggie to arrive in my collection. Calvin B. Marshall asks if anyone has a shilling so that he continue his long distance phone call and his adult companions look towards Dougie, the Wee Boy, who puts in hand in his pocket but cannot find a shilling in there.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I have just watched Great Canal Journeys with Timothy West and Prunella Scales on Channel 4. This week they went through the islands off the Scottish coast passing through the Crinan canal on one of the two remaning Puffers still operating. TW is a patron of the Puffer Preservation Trust as he is of a local Bristol based MV Balmoral where he was born.

Tartu

Liked
    0 times
    My late father was a Mate on several puffers before and after WW2. He took me as an 11 yr old to the very first showing of 'The Maggie' at (if I remember correctly) The Cosmo Cinema in Glasgow in 1954. I remember the day very well as my Dad was determined to get into the first showing and we arrive hours before it opened. The queues were very long but we managed to make the very first showing. The Glasgow audience loved this classic film and my Dad was thoroughly impressed with it's representation of 'puffer life' It has remained one of my very favourite films and I regularly watch my StudioCanal copy. The 'grounding' of the Maggie on the Subway tunnel was a major attraction in the city and was watched by thousands of 'Weegies'. I recently visited Bowmore on Islay and had a drink in the pub where Paul Douglas chased the rascally crew and finally caught up with them! Fantastic thread about a fantastic movie.
    Last edited by Grappller; 16-11-16 at 09:19 PM.

Liked
    98 times
    You are to be envied, Grappler, on having such fond memories of seeing the film during the year it was released in the city where some of it was shot and of being in that pub on Bowmore. I've seen recent photos of the main street on Bowmore and it and the pub don't look very much different to what they did 63 years ago in 1953 when the film was shot there.

Tartu, I'll have to see if I can find that Channel 4 programme on I-player as it sounds very interesting.

Liked
    98 times
    Just arrived in my collection. This excellent, vintage 8 x 10 glossy press photo of Tommy Kearins in The Maggie.

Senior Member Country: Scotland narabdela's Avatar
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick C View Post
    DBF, look up Glasgow Underground Railway. A tube network from the 1930s. Not sure if it passed under the Clyde...

Just spotted this. The Glasgow Underground was actually opened in 1896 and is the third oldest in the world. It crosses the Clyde at two points.

http://www.spt.co.uk/subway/

Liked
    98 times
    Yes, but it doesn't say if the roof of one of the tunnels is just under the surface of the river at low tide.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234