Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: Great Britain bvs's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    'The Maggie' (AKA 'High and Dry')
    I had not seen this wonderful film for many years,the story of a steam 'puffer' on the scottish coastal trade,the filming locations were Glasgow/Islay/Crinan Canal and Crinan Lock.

Alex Mackenzie plays the Skipper - he had been a teacher and took up acting after retirement,he had a very expressive face and did not need to say much :)

James Copeland plays the Mate - he had a busy/long acting career.

Abe Barker is in fine form as the Engineer :)

Tommy Kearins almost steals the show as the 'The Wee Boy' - he was 14 when filming started and an absolute natural,he never made another film but there is a lovely interview with him on youtube centred around the 200th anniv of the Crinan Canal.

Paul Douglas plays the American in a battle of wits with the above motley crew who have conned him into putting an expensive (personal) cargo on board 'The Maggie'.

The Maggie was played by two Hays boats in the film - the Boer and the Inca.The other boat sometimes being used for the second unit.
    The scene shot at Bowmore (islay) - is very obvious as one gets a clear view of the Round Church at the top of the harbour road.The other Islay locations were Port Askaig and Port Charlotte,Askaig is almost unrecognisable now owing to changes for Ro Ro ferries.

Liked
    0 times
    Tommy Kearins interviews

https://youtu.be/gh_gPwgaiVE

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    I was amazed to discover that I have no material from this classic film, so I've just started to do something about it. I've bought an 8 x 10 still from the film off an eBay seller in Cambridge, with Paul Douglas and Tommy Kearins as Dougie, the wee boy, and I've just bought the Studio Canal restored DVD version of the film off an amazon uk market place seller. So that's a start. Sorry to report that Tommy Kearins passed away three years ago at the age of 75, so all the cast and crew are gone now, as far as I know.

Liked
    98 times
    Picture Show, April 3rd, 1954.

Liked
    98 times
    Just arrived in my collection, this press still from The Maggie, with Paul Douglas and Tommy Kearins, filmed in 1953.

Last edited by darrenburnfan; 18-06-16 at 12:50 PM.

Senior Member Country: England DeadlyStranger's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Picked this up a while back along with Painted Boats, but haven't got round to watching it yet. Films like this really have become documents to past British history now. The infrastructure, the vehicles, what people wore, even the interplay between men and children, all gone now.

Liked
    98 times
    Yes, they are historical documents about a now bygone Britain, as much as anything else. I'm expecting a Picturegoer magazine featuring it and dated March 20th, 1954, that should be here during the coming week and I'll see what still they've chosen to go with the review. I'm also expecting the DVD at around the same time.

Liked
    0 times
    Yes they are real snapshots in time :)
    We were at Crinan Lock in June last year...

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    Sorry to report that Tommy Kearins passed away three years ago at the age of 75, so all the cast and crew are gone now, as far as I know.
    I hadn't realised that - sad they are all gone.
    Thanks for posting the pics DBF - very nice too !

Liked
    98 times
    I received the Picturegoer featuring The Maggie this morning, dated March 20th, 1954. I'll scan and upload some material from it about the film when I've got time and depending on whether or not Photobucket is playing up. Nice modern colour photos of the Crinan Lock.

Liked
    98 times
    Picturegoer, March 20th, 1954.

Liked
    98 times
    Sheet music from 1954.

Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    86 times

Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    86 times
    It's a pity that this is no longer available on iPlayer as it was very interesting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06s5n0f

Nick

Liked
    98 times
    It's a pity that the programme was shown on the BBC, because they'll probably never repeat it and it's highly unlikely that they'll release it on DVD. I have a lot of those re-recorded Rumon Gamba CDs of old film scores and some of them are very good, especially the William Alwyn ones.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    Many of us of a certain age will remember Roddy McMillan in the BBC 1960s b/w family entertainment series The Vital Spark.

Senior Member Country: England cassidy's Avatar
    Liked
    94 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    It's a pity that the programme was shown on the BBC, because they'll probably never repeat it and it's highly unlikely that they'll release it on DVD. I have a lot of those re-recorded Rumon Gamba CDs of old film scores and some of them are very good, especially the William Alwyn ones.
    Keep your eyes peeled. BBC4 sometimes do repeat documentaries.

Liked
    98 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cassidy View Post
    Keep your eyes peeled. BBC4 sometimes do repeat documentaries.
    Thanks, Cassidy, I will do.

Liked
    98 times
    I have received my new Studio Canal DVD of The Maggie (also available on BluRay), beautifully restored by the BFI and have watched it for the first time and it really is an excellent film, a real British classic. The image and sound are beautifully clear and the transfer is perfect. It has the original BBFC 'U' certificate and Rank gong on the beginning, too. The extras are an introduction by film historian Charles Barr and a twenty minute featurette about the Puffer boats from Puffer boat enthusiast and fan of the film The Maggie Nick Walker, who, while supposedly an expert on the film, wrongly keeps saying it was made in 1958 instead of 1953 and nobody at either the BFI or Studio Canal picked up on this and had him correct it. The rear of the DVD case and cover lists the trailer as being one of the extras, but there isn't any trailer on the disc. There are also English subtitles, which can be turned on and off, and which are needed because the Scottish accents are a bit strong at times, especially Tommy Kearins' Glaswegian accent. On the plus side, Paul Douglas; Hubert Gregg; Dorothy Allison and Geoffrey Keen don't need subtitles. Highly Recommended.

Liked
    98 times
    Frames from the DVD of the film.

A very young Andrew Keir on the left.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast