Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Preferably of those who don't have their own threads.

As they are so rare, I'd like to start building a collection of images that should help us recognise more 'background artists'.

Beginning with Stenson Falke in the aptly-titled UFO episode Close Up (filmed in 1969):

Originally a subject at 'Who are these people?' in 2010, I finally identified him last year in the LWT series Villains.

OMG! A prominent 'Woman on train' role for cult favourite Alison Daumler in Callan - First Refusal (1972):

Alison has always been in the distance whenever I've spotted her so this was a welcome surprise.

Coming soon: Pat Gorman and Aubrey Danvers-Walker.

Liked
    177 times
    Pat Gorman as a War Office Guard in the Adam Adamant Lives! episode D for Destruction (1966):

Aubrey Danvers-Walker in the Saturday Night Theatre play Emlyn (1969), part of the 'Male of the Species' trilogy:

With fellow jury member Joan Harsant. Just two of the 'stars' I've identified from the Public Eye book.

Senior Member Country: England harryfielder's Avatar
    Liked
    51 times
    I worked with Pat for many years... My mate....

Liked
    177 times
    Bob Blaine has a blink-and-miss role in the Callan episode That'll Be the Day (1972):

Thanks, philly I did miss this during my original scan. Bob is asked by Patrick Mower to search someone's room.

Jean Channon, my favourite female extra, as a diner in the Budgie episode Sunset Mansions*, from the same year:

*The full title is the rather clumsy Sunset Mansions or Whatever Happened to Janey-Baib? (Brenda Bruce's character).

Changed my mind about this being exclusively for extras without their own threads. My next post will feature Aitch and Jim!

Liked
    177 times
    As promised, reposts of James Payne (whitstablejim) as a 'Police Photographer' in Psychomania (1973) ...

... and Harry Fielder as the Shopkeeper at a hardware store in The Sweeney episode Bad Apple (1976):

Very different to The Two Ronnies' 'Four Candles' sketch - Aitch is threatened with a gun by would-be robber Rod Culbertson.

The action takes place in the pre-credits sequence:

The Sweeney Season 3 Episode 6 Bad Apple - YouTube

Liked
    177 times
    Music Interlude

It has occured to me that four of my subjects share their first names with the songs linked below:

Harry Fielder

Harry - Catherine Howe (Live version from 2010)

Alison Daumler

Alison - Elvis Costello (one for the 'Unmemorable Hits of the 1970s' thread)

Jean Channon

Jean - Oliver (of Good Morning Starshine fame, with the theme to The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie)

Aubrey Danvers-Walker

Aubrey - Bread (sad song about a girl named Aubrey)

Oddly enough, I saw the actress Jean Aubrey last weekend, in an episode of The Saint. Bob Blaine and Pat Gorman
    have something in common as well - the same names as Children's TV characters Bob the Builder & Postman Pat!

Normal service will be resumed with rare close-ups of ("Course you can") Malcolm Johns and Mr. Carraway lookalike Frank Draycott.

Liked
    177 times
    Malcolm Johns, as a British agent who is shot dead by the Russian defector he's trying to help,
    in the opening scene of the first Spyder's Web episode, Spyder Secures a Main Strand (1972):

Frank Dreycott is a dinner-jacketed spectator at a wrestling match in The Touchables (1968):

Frank appears in two more shots. Does he have a more important role? Manager, perhaps? I also spotted Ernest Blythe.

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    Originally in the Sighted thread:

This close-up of Dr. Cy Town is enough to get "A Woman Sobbing" in DEAD OF NIGHT (tx: 17.12.1972).

Liked
    177 times
    Cy Town also has a close-up in the Public Eye episode The Man Who Said Sorry (1972):

Just out of shot is Lola Morice. They are among the stunned train passengers who witness the suicide of (a guest star).

George Ballantine as a Hotel Porter in The Two Ronnies - Series 4 Episode 4 (1975):

Manager Arnold Diamond addresses him as Alphonse in Part 4 of Death Can Be Fatal.

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    Glad to see this thread has been "unlocked"!

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Brendan Stafford's cinematography makes Paddy Ryan look like a Man Ray photo:
    !!
    From the Danger Man episode "No Marks for Servility." Paddy plays a henchman that gets beat up by John Drake (of course).

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    Paddy Ryan is a man that my father held in high regard and they knew each other for years. I met him one time with my dad and we ended up in a dive bar on the Charing Cross Road. They both knew it as "The Iron Lung" but it probably had a far more normal name above the entrance. It was in the basement of a building close to Leicester Square tube station and you got to it down a flight of narrow stairs. Inside it felt like a step into a smoke-filled mock-up of the 70s version of The Rovers Return. Half the people in there looked like they hadn't moved in thirty years - they probably just unplugged them at night - and the rest looked every shade of shifty. Paddy and my father were greeted with an informal nod of recognition, which probably passed for a warm greeting to that bunch. It had the same atmosphere as one of those opium dens that Sherlock Holmes finds himself. After a few quick halves in there we ventured out into the midday sun and I watched in horror as Paddy strode directly across the busy road missing taxis and buses by inches. His timing and judgment of distance were superb - but terrifying to watch. This was around 1985, when he would have been 79 :eek:.

When Monty Python's Meaning of Life came out, they held a party at the Camden Palace (down by Mornington Crescent, it has changed its name so many times, it was called The Music Machine in the early 80s). Lots of Pythons, lots of movie people, lots of cast and crew. Paddy Ryan walks down the big staircase, slips and rolls A-over-T down the equivalent of three flights. The gathered people gasped and held their breath as this frail, elderly man died in front of their eyes. Of course, when he reached the bottom he rolled up to take a bow and flashed a cheeky grin. Half the people laughed and started breathing again, while the rest went in search of a stiff drink or a St John's Ambulance Volunteer.

Banned Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    When I was in Byker Grove ( as was everyone in Newcastle at one time or another) I only ever got a close up once in the last episode I was in. Dec ( of Ant n Dec) was in the Psycandric cult of which I was a member. At the end of that storyline Dec was tempted to go to Mexico with his girlfriend and the rest of the cult but backed out. I got a close up looking surprised when he boarded the bus and pleaded with his love to stay behind. Fun times although, even when we got the odd line, we were never credited. I didn't have it as bad as a mate of mine though who, on viewing his episode, found he'd been dubbed with this awful cockney accent! He was gutted. Anyway it was cash in hand at the end of the day which was nice when your 16. I might look for this episode and post the picture.

Liked
    177 times
    Have you found that picture yet, Stonefan?

Paddy Ryan's best known role must be as the 'Old Man' in Public Information film Peach and Hammer (1976):

The newly-identified Lorna Kilner as Prison Officer Knight in the Within These Walls episode The Keys (1975):

Lorna shares the 'Prison Officer' credit with Avril Ellis and Frances Pidgeon in IMDb's cast list for the earlier To Reason Why. I eventually identified her from a blink-or-miss appearance in Upstairs Downstairs - The Understudy (also 1975):

Last edited by cornershop15; 06-11-16 at 06:55 PM.

Liked
    7 times
    Here it is, that's me on the right. 27th of November 1992. Episode 14 of series four. I remember being annoyed that the lad on the left got a better close -up and he only did that episode and I'd been doing the show for about six months!

Why I cant upload the photo I don't know. I will try later.

Well I don't know what's wrong here. I'm trying to upload the picture, the same way as I always have and it will not work.
    Last edited by Stonefan; 07-11-16 at 12:46 PM.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Tigon Man's Avatar
    Liked
    86 times
    I don't think the systems working Stonefan, I can't post pictures through the image box anymore either.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigon Man View Post
    I don't think the systems working Stonefan, I can't post pictures through the image box anymore either.
    I can

You have to make sure that you select the correct options, which options are you selecting?
    From Computer or From URL?
    If you select From URL, are you unticking the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" option?

Steve

Liked
    7 times
    I'm using all the same options. Selecting Computer etc but when I press upload picture it doesn't appear. It's a mystery to me.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Tigon Man's Avatar
    Liked
    86 times
    I save the image to my own records and download the picture by selecting computer rather than URL. I've always used this option without any problems, but the last time I tried the picture wouldn't upload.
    It seems to have occured since we had those server problems a few weeks back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast