Operation Diplomat (1953)
    Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I feel that we've identified this location for another film, perhaps I wrong, but and I still don't know where it shows.

Senior Member Country: England cassidy's Avatar
    Liked
    94 times
    Oslo Court London NW8 ??

Senior Member Country: UK SwingingLondon's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times

Liked
    0 times
    Many thanks for that SwingingLondon and you are dead right. That makes the block of flats to be Maitland Court and once I had the name I looked through some things and found that I had indeed seen the same location in the film 'A Song of Paris' (1952). However, in that film you can actually read the nameplate on the building so I had never asked for help in this forum for that location. Many thanks once again.

Liked
    0 times
    Once again, any ideas?

Liked
    1 times
    Hi Chris, Not sure if you've come across this site but, I typed in "Operation Diplomat" on the Internet and viewed IMCDb.org/movie. Photos of cars and some more locations!

Liked
    1 times
    Hi Chris, The 4th photo, on the bottom right hand side, is that the "Mitre" pub on Lancaster Mews? Just a thought!

Liked
    0 times
    Hello Clive,

First I'd just like to say that the IMCDb does show itself every so often when I'm searching but it's not generally something I look at, however many thanks for pointing it out for I was unaware of their postings concerning this film.

Second I have to say that you are spot on with The Mitre pub. Enough architectural elements remain on the buildings to confirm the location.

Later in the film there are some interesting views of Kingston-upon-Thames showing a church and Bentalls opposite. Next there is this series of views:-

I suppose these could all be in the Kingston area but there are plenty of cuts and plenty of driving.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Matheson View Post
    Later in the film there are some interesting views of Kingston-upon-Thames showing a church and Bentalls opposite. Next there is this series of views
    Kingston-upon-Thames has changed a LOT over the last few decades. Bentalls used to be a single (but big) store on the main drag. Nowadays Bentalls is built into a major shopping arcade on a pedestrianised street. The one-way system has been reversed a few times. But the town as a whole still survives as a major shopping centre, entertainment centre & University town

Oh, and it's the Royal Borough of Kingston-upon-Thames

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Messages like that are really annoying on very many levels especially ALL elements of the last line.

Senior Member Country: UK bobsterkent's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    The top picture not only does it show Trolleybus overhead, but the bus stop is a 'double flag' which means that it was also a green line coach stop. so its a road with trolleys and green line as well as a bus route.

Liked
    0 times
    Yes, bobsterkent, I too had noticed the trolleybus wiring and the multiple bus stops. I also notice that the reelstreets site has just identified the bridge as being in Springfield Road, Kingston, to the south of the town centre.

Liked
    0 times
    I now notice that the first image in my post No.5 has now been identified on the reelstreets site as Gloucester Terrace looking south into Lancaster Terrace and it looks good to me.

Using the same site's identification of the bridge I looked around, on googlemaps, in that area and found this:-

which is clearly the location of the image above the bridge in post No.8. This shows the view south along Fairfield West with the traffic lights being at the junction with Fairfield South and Orchard Road with Knight's Park dead ahead.

Liked
    11 times
    Nice one Christopher and a tribute to the person who built that concrete panel fence!

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for that tavistock and I've just noticed that the fence is at least 63 years old! Anyway the ride continues along this road, still looking like it could be Kingston, which has both stops for red busses and either (or both) Green Line and London Country service:-

And then we see this gate:-

And I imagine that gate could have survived.
    Last edited by Christopher Matheson; 16-08-16 at 04:42 AM. Reason: Spelling