The Fast Lady - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Fast Lady

Senior Member Country: England Alan F's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinU View Post
    There's something that looks a bit fake about the George and Dragon Hotel and the Odeon beside it, whereas all the other buildings look genuine. It's a bit of a howler that they inserted the extra building in the place of the side road that Troon and Chingford emerge from in the traffic jam shots and that they change the buildings in the background beyond Wells Cycles.
    I'd never noticed that the buildings changed within the film, apart from Brenda gaining a name part-way through.
    Two years later, in Father Came Too, "Brenda" has been repainted into blue and become Monique Fashions and the George & Dragon Hotel is now a British Railways goods depot.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan F View Post
    I'd never noticed that the buildings changed within the film, apart from Brenda gaining a name part-way through.
    Two years later, in Father Came Too, "Brenda" has been repainted into blue and become Monique Fashions and the George & Dragon Hotel is now a British Railways goods depot.

Also Pinnock (to the left of Brenda aka Monique Fashions) is the building that is sometimes on top of the side road in The Fast Lady. I wonder if some scenes in TFL had to be reshot after the set had been altered in preparation for Father Came Too. What's the building to the left of Pinnock, where the County Bank is in TFL?

I wonder why the trailers advertised FCT as a sequel to TFL when there are no character names in common and only three actors (James Robertson Justice, Leslie Philips and Stanley Baxter) were in common - there was no Julie Christie in this one,.

Senior Member Country: England Alan F's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinU View Post
    What's the building to the left of Pinnock, where the County Bank is in TFL?
    That's "The George"......

.....and to the left of that is another new building.....

.....that is not in TFL nor does it play any part in FCT.
    I wonder if all these buildings were on wheels and were rolled out from a store area and marshalled into a street scene when needed.

Liked
    7 times
    Ah, there are more differences than similarities between the sets of TFL and FCT.

Nice to see all the old cars: that Ford Capri (like a Ford Classic but without the reverse-rake rear window) and the Ford Anglia/Prefect/Popular (I was never very good at distinguishing between them). Looks as if the Anglia/Prefect/Popular's door is slightly ajar :-)

Senior Member Country: UK Wee Sonny MacGregor's Avatar
    Liked
    4 times
    Isn't it a bit early for parking meters in a town? The first parking metters in GB were in Mayfair in 1958. Lots of towns, Amersham for example, never had parking meters. And why does Monique have a sign saying "Clarks Shoes" when, judging from the window display, it's not a shoe shop?

Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wee Sonny MacGregor View Post
    Isn't it a bit early for parking meters in a town? The first parking metters in GB were in Mayfair in 1958. Lots of towns, Amersham for example, never had parking meters. And why does Monique have a sign saying "Clarks Shoes" when, judging from the window display, it's not a shoe shop?
    I suppose it plausible that a shop selling women's fashions (clothes) might also sell women's shoes.

I hadn't realised that parking meters were introduced so late. I suppose before that they relied on parking discs to regulate the time that people could park for free, rather than making them pay even to park for a short time. I'd love to meet the person who had the idea of making people pay to park in legitmate spaces - and grip him warmly by the throat! In my view, traffic wardens should only fine people who park in stupid places where they cause an obstruction (eg blocking a driveway or close to a junction) and not those who fail to pay to park where they are allowed to. Scarborough, near where I live, is wanting to charge for parking even in the middle of winter (previously they charged only in the summer months) which will have a fairly predictable effect on businesses on those roads - people will park elsewhere and walk, and may not use the shops/cafes along the seafront.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123