Liked
    0 times
    Can anyone here inform me as to whether 'The Stone Killer' (1973), directed by Michael Winner and starring Charles Bronson as Lt. Lou Torrey in a type of lone cop movie, is related in any real way to the John Gardner novel from 1969, 'A Complete State of Death' on which it is based?

The character in the book was named Derek Torry, and later appeared again in the 1974 John Gardner novel 'The Corner Men'. I know that Vescari's are mentioned in that novel, as they are the Mafia family in the film. Bronson as Torrey also replies at one point when asked 'What hit him?', 'A Complete State of Death'. John Gardner is a thriller author of books such as the Boysie Oakes series, of which 'The Liquidator' was filmed, starring Rod Taylor in 1965. He also wrote The Moriarty Journals, the Herbie Kruger novels and from 1981 to 1996 was the official Bond continuation novelist. Hope someone can help who has read both the novel and seen the film. Or if you know any more about the details of the film, let me know. Thanks.

Liked
    0 times
    I have a first Gen VHS CVT20020 "THE STONE KILLER". The blurb on the cover says:

A dramatic look into the life of a brutal 'shoot first ask questions later' Los Angeles police detective (Charles Bronson) whose methods of dealing with suspects frequently upset his superiors but which usuaily produce results.

A series of seemingly unconnected events lead him to the discovery of a major criminal conspiracy which evolves from a 40-year-old vendetta of a crazed Mafioso leader determined to revenge himself on the gangland assassinations of his colleagues back in 1931. His plan is to stage an underworld massacre ('my biirthday party') using Vietnam veterans to wipe the slate clean once and for all. Bronson must stop him at all costs...

John Gardener's noval 'A Complete State Of Death' is brilliantly recreated for the screen by director Micheal Winner in a film which is packed with violent shoot-outs, cas crashes and Mafioso infighting. Bronson is at his toughest as detective lou Torrey; Martin Balsam lends convincing support as the reigning 'godfather'.

Liked
    0 times
    I have also got a copy of the film 'The Stone Killer' from when I taped it off the TV last year. Thankyou for the information, Hackett. I'd like to get hold of a copy of the book by John Gardner and read it to see how close it is to the book. He is one of my favourite authors. Do you know anything about the history of the film production, how they got the rights for the film, for example? Thanks.