Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Educating Rta

Liked
    0 times
    Where can I get a copy of that "Pub Song" used in the film, Educating Rita? Remember the scene(s) and the song? Amazon.com doesn't show "Pub Song" in the song list. (Or I couldn't find it.)

Did the song ever have a title other than "Pub Song?" Who recorded it?

Thx!

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    4 times
    According to the BFI monthly Film Bulletin, May 1983, "the pub song" was written and performed by Stephen Gilbert, but that is all the information it gives.

Possibly Stephen Gilbert was some relation of Lewis Gilbert the director of the film.

Liked
    0 times
    Thx, Hugo. Let me check it out.

Liked
    0 times
    Hi,

Have only just found this site and this is my first attempt at asking a question! Can anyone please tell me the name of the song that is playing on the jukebox in the pub - the family are all singing along with it. I love this movie and have tried to catch the words everytime I watch it, but no luck so far. It has just about driven me crazy for years! My husband is going to have me committed if I don't stop driving him nuts! Many thanks.

[ 15. December 2004, 14:28: Message edited by: DB7 ]

Liked
    151 times
    It's called Pub Song by Stephen Gilbert aka Steve Gilbert. (Director Lewis Gilbert's son)

Liked
    0 times
    Many thanks DB7,

At long last I have something definite to search for! Haven't had any luck so far re finding the lyrics or where I can obtain a recording of the song, but at least your help will give me something to keep me occupied over the Christmas break (when there's nothing much to watch on television) :-)

Much appreciated - have a Merry Christmas and a Great New Year.

Liked
    0 times
    HI

I am wanting to find out more about the music from a specific scene in 'Educating Rita'.

It is when Frank is drunk and is searching everwhere for 'Rita' - and he goes to the nightclub and see's some of his students there. They persuade him to dance - the music excerpt lasts for about 45 seconds only within the film and is not credited at the end or indeed on the soundtrack. The words sound something like 'burn baby burn'?

It is in the style of Giorgio Moroder etc - can anyone enlighten me anymore?

Also - does anyone know anymore about the pub song where her Mother cries also?

Many thanks

Beekeeper

Liked
    0 times
    I can't answer your main question, but the pub song comes from sometime between 1971 and 1973. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Liked
    0 times
    The song I have found out - is called "I can't dance" and is by the films composer David Hentschel. Unfortuntaely it doesn't feature on the soundtrack (criminal surely as the BEST song from the film) however is featured as the B Side on the

7" single released of the films main theme tune.

Anyone got this? let me know.... ;-)

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    5 times
    Did you try looking on i tunes you might find it to down load.

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    name='Carmel']Did you try looking on i tunes you might find it to down load.

It's not available there or anywhere else to my knowledge.

The same goes for the 'Pub Song' in the film sung by Steve Gilbert.

Why these two tracks were not included in the soundtrack I'll never know.

There are plenty of people out there wanting copies of both tunes.

Dave.

Liked
    0 times
    SHADES OF SEVENTIES - RESTRUCTURE MIXES

Go to the above link - Glen Rivera has taken this fab fab tune and turned it into a 8 mnute long epic tune. Worth a listen! He's a really lovely and friendly guy too as I emailed him and he was very quick and approachable in his response.

Enjoy! I have been playing this tune over and over....

Liked
    0 times
    Anyone ever find a recording of this piece?

Liked
    0 times
    I distinctly remember this being on the pop music charts in the 1970' - circa 1972-1975(?) Not a Number One but pretty high up nonetheless.

(I assume we're talking about the song in the pub when Rita looks over to her Mum and sees her crying.)

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    I have done all sorts of searches over the last couple of years for this song - without ANY success.

I havn't been able to find a sniff of it anywhere.

It is obvious that there are many people out there who would like a copy of 'Pub Song', so it really beggars belief as to why it was never included on the soundtrack album.

Dave.

Liked
    0 times
    This was definitely not a hit and never entered the charts and in fact I don't believe it was ever commercially released.

Liked
    0 times
    Cosmo - I think we're talking about two different Pub Songs!

The one I'm referring to was playing on the jukebox when Rita and her family (Husband, Mom, Dad, Sister) were down at the local pub and Rita looks over and sees her mom crying. That was the record that was on the pop charts in the early 70s (maybe as high as the top 5 !)

I think there is another pub song that was playing when Caine and/or Rita are in a pub about two thirds the way through the movie. I suspect that it's THIS song that everyone is asking about.

Liked
    0 times
    No, Nappie B, they are NOT talking about some other pub song. They are talking about exactly the same song where Rita is sitting in the pub with her family. Are you really sure that this song was released earlier, in the 1970s? It would be a very important piece of information for all of us trying to locate the song. So please, can you remeber any details about this ealier song (the name of the song, band, etc.)?

Liked
    0 times
    name='henrim']No, Nappie B, they are NOT talking about some other pub song. They are talking about exactly the same song where Rita is sitting in the pub with her family. Are you really sure that this song was released earlier, in the 1970s? It would be a very important piece of information for all of us trying to locate the song. So please, can you remeber any details about this ealier song (the name of the song, band, etc.)?

Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the song - I have to confess that I never really liked the song when it was released in the early-to-mid 1970s. When I saw the movie during the movie's original release (1981 ?), I recognised the song immediately but doing so didn't increase my fondness for it. Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of the movie available to view or I'd put it in the VCR and fast-forward to that spot to jog my memory!

As far as I can remember, the song is a happy sing-a-long type of song with much chorus work, quite a solid beat and fairly good melody. Very much the type of song that would not be out of place on the football terraces. Definitely a British group performing it... in the period that saw the waning days of T-Rex (but T-Rex were not the group, that's just a period marker so to speak). It was on LOT of jukeboxes at the time! It's very possible that it was a "one hit wonder" with the group never having another successful record - maybe no other record at all.

Sorry that I can't be of more help with this, but as I said, I never really liked the song so had no reason to make a special note of it.

NOTE - I've ordered the movie from Netflix so hopefully I'll be able to solve this puzzle within the next few weeks!!

Liked
    0 times
    I would like to find this song too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast