Liked
    0 times
    Years ago when I was a child, I remember watching an old black and white film on T.V. on a Sunday afternoon, which has always stayed in my mind, but I have never seen it repeated. I probably watched it around 1963-1965. The film I imagine would have been made sometime in the forties, and I think set in the late eighteenhundredst or early nineteenhundreds. All I can remember about it was the dramatic ending which I can see even now. The heroine was in a field, having some sort of argument with the hero who she had fallen in love with and a fox hunt was going on in the background. As the hunt got closer the fox ran at her and she caught it in her arms to protect it from the huntsman, who closed in round her and as they jostled her she stepped back and fell down either an old disued well or mineshaft and presumably killed. That was the end of the film, and that is all I can remember about it. This has bugged me for years, and I would love to see it again. Any suggestions?

Liked
    151 times
    Gone to Earth (1950)

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Gone to Earth (1950) Powell and Pressburger film starring Jennifer Jones and based upon the novel by Mary Webb.

Liked
    0 times
    That's what I call quick work! I'll attempt now to obtain a copy. Thanks very much

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Gladly. If you can't find a copy, Aphra can help you find a copy.

Best,

Gibbie

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    It should be easily available on video or DVD from most retailers. The DVD includes an extra "home movie" sequence of filming the people making the film. But there no soundtrack (apart from some music added recently) and no commentary or subtitles so it's hard to work out who is who unless you know them.

It may have been shown on TV in B&W (possibly a B&W TV) but the film itself is in glorious Technicolor.

It was all filmed in and around Much Wenlock, just south of Shrewsbury.

More info & pictures at P&P web site and the IMDb.

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the info, Steve. Since finding out the title of the film I've been checking it out on the internet and read lots of reviews....it seems everyone knew about this film except me! Yes our T.V. in the sixties was black and white we didn't get a colour one till about 1973, so that explains why I've always imagined it to be b/w. Silly me! I will definitely be obtaining a copy soon. Thanks again