Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    The scene is, a young couple are in a barn or some farm building, he is on the run from national service, she sort of idolises him but thinks he has done something more serious, like a murder or something.In the scene I can remember he is having a shave and she remarks about the fact that he can shave without a mirror.

Liked
    0 times
    Triple Echo (1973) maybe, with Glenda Jackson and Oliver Reed?

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks spd will look into your reply and hopefully find the answer

Ta BACUS thumbs_u

Liked
    151 times
    Triple Echo is on tv tomorrow night.

Deckard also mentions it here .

Liked
    0 times
    </div><div class='quotemain'>DB7:

Triple Echo is on tv tomorrow night.

Deckard also mentions it here . [/b]
    DB7 URGENT WHICH CHANELL?

BACUS

Liked
    0 times
    TA DB7, ALL SET TO TAPE. BACUS

Liked
    0 times
    People, help me out please! I diddn't understand the ending. Why did she shoot him? I enjoyed the film a lot - but just sat there after, trying to decide why she did that. I came up with:-

a) He was gong to be shot anyway - this way is quicker.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.gif[/img] She aimed at the sargent and missed.

c) She was insane and didn't want to lose him.

or d) I missed some vital piece of info in the first 10 mins of the film (I missed the first 10 mins).

Please won't someone enlighten me!

Rob

Liked
    151 times
    It was pretty ambiguous. Surely she couldn't have believed he'd be executed because (I think) deserters were imprisoned during WWII.

By this stage the relationship between the two had deteriorated (it started too once he began cross-dressing) and she appeared to want rid of him anyhow.

Curios little film, sorta Performance meets Straw Dogs.

Liked
    0 times
    no

SORRY EVERYBODY BUT WHEN I WATCHED THE FILM LAST NIGHT I REALISED IT WAS NOT THE FILM OF THE SCENE THAT I REMEMBER. HOWEVER THANKS FOR THE EFFORT, AND IT LOOKS LIKE IT HAS STARTED A BIT OF THOUGHTS ON OTHER ASPECTS. BY THE WAY ON OPINIONS AS TO WHY SHE SHOT HIM, I THINK WE CAN ONLY SPECULATE AND FOR WHAT ITS WORTH I THINK IT WAS BECAUSE HE WAS EITHER GOING TO GET A LOT OF STICK WHILE IN PRISON OR IN SOME CASES YOU COULD BE SHOT FOR DESERTION (SO SHE WAS PUTTING HIM OUT OF HIS MISERY) OR COULD IT BE THAT SHE WAS JUST TESTING THE GUN AFTER THEY HAD FIXED IT!!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Ilove this film ,as DB7 said the ending is ambiguous and i've got no answer for the ending but heres a couple of idea's.If you remember glenda jacksons husband was a japanese p.o.w.(interesting he went to war as i thought some farming was reserved occupation?)when deacon first turns up, her husbands dog(lovely rotty)dosen't like him she says the dogs a one man dog.The dog is old and in pain and by this time he and the dog have bonded,and when he has to be PUT OUT OF HIS MISERY,deacon is the one who does it as glenda can't.when deacon is discovered as a man theres a scene in the kitchen where ollie berates glenda with reference to her husbands situation,and her involvment with deacon this may have hit home.So to conclude,she's either consumed with guilt about her husband,or she really loved deacon and new in those unenlightened times (cross dressing and all that,must be gay)he'd have HELL,or even she harboured thoughts that there was SOMETHING WRONG WITH HIM so she PUT HIM OUT OF HIS MISERY,something she couldn't do for her own dog??Maybe the H.E Bates book has more answers,the main thing i love,apart from some good performances,is its "englishness" same feeling i get when i watch the GO BETWEEN OR FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD.

Liked
    0 times
    The scene in the barn reminds me of "Life in Danger" (b&w,1959), with Derren Nesbitt as a fugitive.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    4 times
    I was just about to say that.

To recap slightly for Bacus' benefit: the Nezz turns up unnanounced and unknown in a small village (presumably somewhere in Surrey or Berkshire, as they tended to be due to the proximity of said areas to Merton Park Studios) The villagers believe him to be either (a) a gypsy or (b) the much-ballyhooed escapee of the local asylum (the presence of which hangs over their lives like a constant bogeyman), but is he? He hides out with a teenage girl (who falls for him) and her brother in the local barn whilst the inevitable "angry mob" light their torches, so to speak- all leading to a gripping conclusion. National Service isn't mentioned, but he does talk to the girl of experiencing the war- in particular an air raid, where he lost his family. He is reminded of this by the siren from the asylum going off.

It's a fascinating film, and one day I shall review it for this site. But is it the one to which our inquisitive member refers?