Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cottage Drama

Liked
    0 times
    I reviewed HOUSE OF MYSTERY for "Shock Cinema" magazine 10 years ago. I can copy out the review from the mag if it's of any interest.

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    Cheers Helldriver,

Your review would make interesting reading.

I believe the movie actually only ran for 58 minutes.Rather short even for a B-movie.

Yet previous reviews i've read for "House of Mystery" have mostly been positive.It seems to leave a "chill" with most Suspense lovers.

I only saw the movie once & that was about 30 years ago but i always remember it as good entertainment.

Is it one of your favourites Helldriver?

Regards

Dave.

Liked
    0 times
    Actually it's only a (seemingly hastily written) capsule review from pre-internet times when just alerting the largely American readership of British B-movies like THE IMPERSONATOR, NEVER LET GO, PLAY IT COOL, FACE THE MUSIC, THE VERY EDGE and COSH BOY was of some service. Here's how I saw it 10 years ago:

House-hunting couple come across a bargain-priced cottage; the woman who greets them tells a story explaining why the place is empty. The previous occupants (Nanette Newman and Maurice Kauffman) were haunted by strange happenings (and were forced to bring in a psychic investigator) including the appearance of a man (Peter Dyneley) who electrocuted--in an elaborate fashion-- his murderous wife and her lover, and then committed suicide, events which are revealed during a seance lending the film an elaborate mult-flashback structure. Directed by Vernon Sewell in an understated and subtle manner (especially considering he would later helm the likes of REVENGE OF THE BLOOD BEAST with its giant moth!) this plays like a low-budget, no-frills (it runs under an hour) British equivalent of THE HAUNTING, made 2 years later. The acting is good, Dyneley's murder plan is clever--the sort of thing that used to crop up in the likes of "The Avengers"--and there's a satisfying if not entirely unexpected coda.

I miss British TV!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12