Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cottage Drama

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    An old black & white British film i saw many years ago was titled something like "Cottage for Rent" or "Cottage for Sale"(Not the John Mills film 'Cottage to Let')& revolved around a group of people either looking around the cottage or sheltering there.

In turn they each tell a story & the film follows each drama.It was a terrific movie.

Does anyone know the title/actors & whether it is still available?

Liked
    151 times
    Sounds a bit like Dead of Night which involved a collection of people at a farmhouse. Were the stories mostly supernatural?

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    4 times
    Possibly THE HALFWAY HOUSE (GB 1944) with Mervyn Johns as the landlord of an isolated Welsh inn where a number of people arrive all with their own personal problems and stories to tell.

Liked
    1 times
    Thanks guys for the info.It was definitely a house of some sort that was up for sale or rent.

If memory serves me correctly i think the ending scenes actually showed a "For Sale" sign or something like that still standing outside the house after the visitors departed.

I think the stories were supernatural to some degree.

Gee,must be over 20 years since i last saw it!

Liked
    0 times
    I agree with Hugo, surely Ealing's The Halfway House with a very young Sally Ann Howes of Truly Scrumptious fame.

Liked
    0 times
    "THE HOUSE THAT DRIPPED BLOOD" 1970?.

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    I'll go with HACKETT, because didn't the house at the end of HALFWAY HOUSE revert to being the bombed-out ruin which it really was all the time ?

SMUDGE

Liked
    151 times
    Yep Smudge, Halfway House closes with Mervyn and Glynis Johns standing in front of the smouldering inn.

I'm not sure about The House that Dripped Blood, there is a 'To Let' sign (with a Bray phone number wink ) but the occupants don't 'shelter there', their stories are related to the police inspector in flashback. Not really a terrific film either.

Liked
    114 times
    In that case DB7, is there a pub sign o/s the Halfway at the end, which may be causing some confusion ?

I have a particularsoft spot for HOUSE THAT DRIPPED BLOOD - a) because I grew up on those old Hammer-type horrors and [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.gif[/img] Cos part of it was filmed down the road from where I used to live (and Sanndevil still lives !)

Finally c) I got to know the director for a spell, we corresponded - I asked questions, he put up with them. He's a very decent chap thumbs_u

SMUDGE

Liked
    151 times
    </div><div class='quotemain'>smudge:

In that case DB7, is there a pub sign o/s the Halfway at the end, which may be causing some confusion ? [/b]
    I haven't watched it for some time so I can't say but the image I recall is:

It may well be Halfway House because some of guests hadn't planned on visiting the inn.

</div><div class='quotemain'>I have a particularsoft spot for HOUSE THAT DRIPPED BLOOD - a) because I grew up on those old Hammer-type horrors and [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.gif[/img] Cos part of it was filmed down the road from where I used to live (and Sanndevil still lives !)[/b]
    I do like the Amicus portmanteus but imho From Beyond the Grave, Asylum, Tales from the Crypt and Dr. Terror's House of Horrors are more rounded, better interwoven and have tighter segments.

Liked
    114 times
    Mmm - have to agree, that's the image that I tend to remember at the close, so I was struggling to think of where the pub sign would be. But isn't there a long shot, or a pull back from the valley as it closes too ?

Darn it - I CAN'T remember, and my copy is buried here somewhere...once it cools down I may exert myself and dig in, to see if I can find it to check.

Will post again if so.

SMUDGE

Liked
    1 times
    I think i've cracked it!

After much research i think i've answered my own question.Of course i'd have to see the film again to be 100% sure but it certainly sounds like the film i saw many years ago.

I believe it could be "House of Mystery" (1961) B&W film starring Jane Hylton,Peter Dyneley & Nannette Newman.

A house hunting couple hear from a mysterious woman why an apparantly desirable cottage is being sold at a low price.

Listed in Halliwell's as "a spooky thriller."

Has anyone else seen this film?

Many thanks for everyones help in trying to give my movie a title.

By the way Smudge,has it got any cooler in Wolverhampton yet? I still have relatives in Birmingham - poor buggers must be sweating in their beer's!

Cheers Guy's!

Dave.

Liked
    114 times
    No Dave - it's still 'orrible and sticky here... sleep

If anybody has HOUSE OF MYSTERY, I'd be grateful for a copy (will trade) as I am intrigued to see it now....

SMUDGE

Liked
    151 times
    I've House of Mystery (oh no, it's Smudge again) but it's not that.

Only 1 couple enter the house and there's only 1 story told in flashback. Good film tho.

Liked
    114 times
    Go on then, DB7 -

I'm game : wot u want to trade ?

SMUDGE

Liked
    151 times
    I got my copy via Aphra so you'd probably do better asking her as you'd get 2nd gen rather than 3rd gen.

DVD works a treat btw thumbs_u

Liked
    1 times
    Thanks DB,

My memory of the film was probably incorrect when i thought more than one couple were involved.

I do remember someone was relating a story inside the cottage.I imagined a few people were involved but that may have something to do with the connecting story told by the mysterious woman.

If there is a shot of the 'For Sale'sign outside the cottage at or near the end of the movie then i would say that would be the clincher.

Cheers!

Dave.

Liked
    151 times
    It's a story Sewell has filmed before as s Latin Quarter (1946), Ghost Ship (1952) and The Medium (1934).

No, I think the film ends in the house (can't say anymore without revealing the plot)

Liked
    0 times
    </div><div class='quotemain'>smudge:

Mmm - have to agree, that's the image that I tend to remember at the close, so I was struggling to think of where the pub sign would be. But isn't there a long shot, or a pull back from the valley as it closes too ?

Darn it - I CAN'T remember, and my copy is buried here somewhere...once it cools down I may exert myself and dig in, to see if I can find it to check.

Will post again if so.

SMUDGE [/b]
    Was it a pub sign or was it a picture on the ruins of a wall?

I remember the picture because it was called 'The Pastry Eaters'; a couple of ragged urchins in Italy/Spain/France eating pastry of course!

I shall have to watch HWH tonight!

thumbs_u

Liked
    114 times
    Cheers DB -

Will consult Aphra. wink Glad the BOARDERS is ok - must watch it again meself sometime - I tuned in at the end and was intrigued as I had forgotten it !

Ah yes - the GHOST SHIP with Hazel Court & Dermot Walsh ? In that case I must see t'other fillum...

SMUDGE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast