Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Here's one which has been puzzling me for years. I saw it on the television, and it must have been before 1975, because I moved house in that year and remember that I watched it in the old house, so the film must date from the sixties or, even, the fifties.

A British secret agent is about to be sent beyond enemy lines; I can't remember whether this was in the Second World War or the Cold War. Just before he leaves, he is being briefed by his "control", and the atmosphere between them is quite cordial.

"There is one final thing I must tell you", says the Control.

"Oh yes, what's that?"

And the Control jumps up and slaps the spy in the face.

"What the ...."

"No, it's all right", interrupts Control. "I caught you off your guard to see if you reverted to speaking German" (or Russian, depending on when it was set.) "Now I know you're one of us."

Does this mean anything to anybody?

Liked
    0 times
    I don't remember that action in a spy film but such an incident occured in The Wooden Horse didn't it, when the resistance wanted to prove they weren't German spies.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you, Russ.

I don't think I have ever seen The Wooden Horse, so you may be correct, although I remember it as being an agent about to be sent abroad. It is, of course, at least thirty years since I saw it.

The imdb says that the Horse is available on video, so I may try and find a copy. Failing that, it is the sort of film which turns up on the T.V. quite often, so it is surprising that I have never seen it.

Senior Member Country: England Pam1927's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    The scene you mention at the top, Culpepper, is definitely not from 'The Wooden Horse'. Russ is right that a rather similar scene is in that film though. Leo Genn, along with Anthony Steel, has escaped from a prisoner of war camp and has made contact with the French resistance to try and get help in getting back to England. The French resistance leader slaps Leo Genn in the face, and the dialogue is very similar to the dialogue you've quoted above.

As far as I know, the video of 'The Wooden Horse' is deleted over here. Copies come up on eBay quite a lot. There is a rather expensive DVD available on eBay, but it's in Australia, and you'd have to have a multi-region player to view it. However, as a good Leo Genn fan, I've got it on video and would be happy to do you a copy. Let me know if you want one.

'The Wooden Horse' aside, the dialogue you've detailed above is familiar, but I can't think from where. I'll search the brain cells, and if I come up with anything, I'll let you know!

Regards

Pam

[ 19. July 2004, 22:49: Message edited by: Pam1927 ]

Senior Member Country: England Pam1927's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    PS:

Having said that 'The Wooden Horse' is deleted, I've just checked Amazon and there's quite a few for sale on there, starting at £4.99 for a used copy.