Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    4 times
    Can anyone help please? I'm desparately seeking a copy of this film, made by Rank in 1949 and directed by Derek Twist, starring a young Bryan Forbes. It was filmed around Lyme Regis in Dorset, and I would dearly love to obtain a copy.

Please help if you can.

Many thanks

Rob

[ 27. December 2003, 20:37: Message edited by: DB7 ]

Liked
    4 times
    Isn't there anyone out there who can help? (sob, sob!).

Can I borrow this film (or others like it) from a film library of some sort?

Anyone know?

Many thanks for any response (especially if it's a positive one!)

rgds

Rob

Liked
    4 times
    I am desparate to obtain a copy of this film, which I think has never been released on video or DVD.

Does anyone have any ideas? It was based on a book by R F Delderfield, and was filmed in and around Lyme Regis in Dorset.

Please help!

Many thanks

Rob

Liked
    0 times
    Hi Rob, I too would very much like info re the film "All Over the Town" made in Lyme Regis - as with many of my (then!) little friends, I was in it and an unpaid child extra. We walked around a lot and that was all. But I'd love to get a copy just to have a record of Lyme as it was in those days. It was very exciting for us all having major stars like Bryan Forbes and Sarah Churchill et al but there was a sad story about the film camera man, John something, who was a lovely guy and gave me, even at such a young age, an interest in photography which has lasted ever since. I think it was made before 1949, however, as we left Lyme long before that. If you hear of any copies, I'd be grateful for any news. Thanks and regards.

Super Moderator Country: Scotland
    Liked
    27 times
    What wass the sad story, Pam, about the cameraman? Incidently I have been speaking to the cinematographer of this film very recently, C.M. Pennington-Richards.

Liked
    4 times
    Thanks to both Pam and James for their replies. You are quite right, Pam, I made a mistake and the film was released in 1947.

All I know about it is from Bryan Forbes autobiography "The director was Derek Twist and I suspect he allowed me to overdo the charm - certainly studying the still photgraphs in my scrap album I appear to have cultivated a very coy hair style and I undoubtedly wore too much make up. Being engaged for the entire run of the picture, I came into what was then untold wealth, earning no less than £700"

(By the way, I recommend this book - Notes for a Life - very readable and very funny)

Pam, I'm fascinated to know you were actually in the film - wow! Like James, I'd like to know the sad story?

I know Lyme very well indeed, and I'd also love to see what it was like then. Any more memories or anecdotes?

And, of course, if anyone can suggest how to actually see the film, please do! I've tried the local museums and archives - no go!

Many thanks in advance

Rob :)

Liked
    0 times
    JamesM:

What wass the sad story, Pam, about the cameraman? Incidently I have been speaking to the cinematographer of this film very recently, C.M. Pennington-Richards.

Hi, you two - and goodness, I'd forgotten about C. Pennington-Richards! Bryan Forbes was quite friendly with someone called Monica (won't give the surname) who was an older pupil at the same school! As for the sad story, I think a pm to each of you would be the best way to reply, if that's O.K.

Liked
    0 times
    the Lyme Regis Film Society have been given a copy of this film by the studio and occasionally show it at the Lyme Cinema.

Lyme Regis Dorset - Lyme Regis Film Society

My Mother wasn't actually in the film but she worked in a clothes shop in Broad Street (the main street) and was asked to dress the shop window for the film set and was paid the princely sum of £5, which was a small fortune then.

If you look at the home page of the web site linked above: Lyme Regis Dorset - Home you will see a poster from the film, along with John Fowles "The French Lieutenants Woman" and Jane Austen's "Persuasion", which were also both filmed largely in Lyme Regis.

I am not a member of the film society but I'm sure that they will provide showing dates if you contact them.

Liked
    4 times
    That's really helpful, Buster, many thanks

I will make some enquiries as you suggest

rgds

Rob

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times
    Hi,

This film is being shown on TCM in the States on 17th January 2007 at 9.30 am EST.

Alex

Super Moderator Country: Scotland
    Liked
    27 times
    bump as a reminder

Liked
    4 times
    Thanks James!

I must have completely missed alex's post on 22nd November.

Can I ask a favour (I think you may know what is coming next!) and that is could anyone who has access to TCM in the US on 17th January at 09:30 EST, PLEASE record this film for me - either on to VHS or DVD, I don't mind.

I would be very happy to pay all expenses, and could - if anyone else wanted a copy - pass it on as necessary.

I've been looking for this film for 20 years or so - I do hope that

1. alex is right

2. there isn't a power cut

3. there is a kind person out there who could do this - please either post here or send me a private message so we can sort it out!

Many, many thanks in anticipation

rgds

Rob

Senior Member Country: United States rjd0309's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    I'll set the recorder for it.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I'd love a copy please.

Liked
    4 times
    Many thanks in advance to rjd0309 for his kindness in offering to tape it.

howard65 - I'll see what I can do, can you PM me nearer the time please?

Thanks all

Rob

Liked
    0 times
    did I already reply? I'm new here, a bit lost. I'm in Oregon USA, should be able to copy to VHS and/or DVD this broadcast, let me know if I can help, and how.

Liked
    4 times
    name='rkroning']did I already reply? I'm new here, a bit lost. I'm in Oregon USA, should be able to copy to VHS and/or DVD this broadcast, let me know if I can help, and how.

Thanks rkroning!

rjd0309 has very kindly already offered, but I'd much rather have two copies than nothing, which is what I've had up to now!

Happy to pay reasonable expenses

rgds

Rob

Liked
    3 times
    Got it, Rob.

Will post soon.

Liked
    0 times
    name='rjd0309']Got it, Rob.

Will post soon.

Hello, rjd ... I'm new here, from Seaside OR. Are we the only two Yanks here?

I also recorded 'All Over the Town' from TCM, but missed the last minute. Did TCM blow it, or did I? I also got the earlier 'London Belongs to Me'. If you're satisfying Rob's request, I'll not bother to proceed, with my truncated version.

rkroning Robert

Liked
    3 times
    name='rkroning']Hello, rjd ... I'm new here, from Seaside OR. Are we the only two Yanks here?

I also recorded 'All Over the Town' from TCM, but missed the last minute. Did TCM blow it, or did I? I also got the earlier 'London Belongs to Me'. If you're satisfying Rob's request, I'll not bother to proceed, with my truncated version.

rkroning Robert

Hi Robert,

There are several more British-film-loving Yanks here. We're tolerated by the locals as long as we keep a low profile... :

Dunno what happened to your signal, but mine was uninterrupted. The movie came through just fine, including the last minute. Have copied from hard disk and posted to Rob Compton.

Glad to have you in the group, you'll find lots of friendly and helpful folks here.

Cheers,

Robert (yes, another Robert)

--------------------

The Rita Tushingham Home Page - Rita Tushingham email, photos, films, biography

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast