Thread: Oh Rosalinda

Liked
    0 times
    Hello there....I would dearly love to find a copy of "Oh Rosalinda", a "modern" (1950s) version of "Die Fledermaus" and another Powell and Pressburger movie. Either tape or DVD would be OK.

Has anyone sighted this or is it a lost cause?

Cheers....P. :)

Senior Member Country: UK aphra's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I have a good VHS of OH ROSALINDA! and can make you a copy. I see you are in New Zealand, so you also use PAL.

Best,

Aphra

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    And do try to watch it on a nice wide screen. It was filmed in CinemaScope and they really do make good use of the wide screen. Especially on things like the balcony scene. When we saw it on a full size screen at the NFT here in London it won a lot of new admirers.

Enjoy

Liked
    0 times
    SteveCrook:

And do try to watch it on a nice wide screen. It was filmed in CinemaScope and they really do make good use of the wide screen. Especially on things like the balcony scene. When we saw it on a full size screen at the NFT here in London it won a lot of new admirers.

Enjoy
    Thanks for the replies folks...And the mention of wide screen. I hadn't thought of that. I'll try for a dvd first and a tape if thats not available.

So you've seen it full size...I'm bright green with envy. I saw it in Wellington NZ in the mid fifties I guess and I still have the LP. (Badly worn) and I've been thinking of copying that to a cd..and that lead to another try to find a copy of the film. There have been mentions in these forums of packs of dvds for sale of old movies. Have you seen anything like that of Powell and Pressburger that would include Rosalinda?

Thanks again...P.

Liked
    418 times
    No, sadly it's never been released in any form for home viewing that I've ever heard of. The best you can do is probably a video recorded from the TV (like that nice lady Veronica offered). The LP is very good. I do like the cartoon of Ludmilla (Rosalinda) on the cover.

There are a few other mementos that you might find if you search hard enough. I have a press book, some studio stills (10x8 B&W) and lobby cards from it.

I see your profile mentions The Tales of Hoffmann. We're still hoping that will be released on DVD by Criterion (they released it on laserdisc). There is a Japanese DVD available from CD Japan. It's not cheap but it's very good quality (no extras apart from the Japanese subtitles).

See http://www.Powell-Pressburger.org/FAQ/FAQ271.html for details of all the Powell & Pressburger titles that we know of that are available for home viewing.

Liked
    0 times
    Hello Steve...Thanks for the reply. Xmas came and went and here I am with another question regarding "Rosalinda". I'll probably go with the video in the meantime but I can't tie the lady Veronica to anyone here unless it refers to "aphra" in one of the replies to my original post. Best wishes for 04....P

Liked
    0 times
    name='aphra']I have a good VHS of OH ROSALINDA! and can make you a copy. I see you are in New Zealand, so you also use PAL.

Best,

Aphra
    hi, i just joined because i was looking for a good copy of Oh Rosalinda!

on vhs or DVD

i don't know what the procedure is here, but i am putting it out there

thanks!

Liked
    418 times
    name='harvill']hi, i just joined because i was looking for a good copy of Oh Rosalinda!

on vhs or DVD

i don't know what the procedure is here, but i am putting it out there

thanks!
    Hello harvill,

Some people would be tempted to ask "why?"

I quite like it, but it's not everybody's favourite, even amongst those that have actually seen it.

Any particular reason why you like it?

Steve