Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    Hi,

I think one of the most underrated films made is Lewis Gilbert's Operation Daybreak.

Is it available on DVD?

Ta Ta

Marky B thumbs_u

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi

I don't know if this film has already got a thread as I couldn't find a search option on the forum.

As far as I can find out this film was ONLY released as a VHS in a UK version - there is a South Korean (apparent) Official Release on DVD but that doesn't have english subtitles in the few sequences where the cast are speaking German and that is, to me , important.

This film is great but has only been on TV a handful of times over the years which is why I am hoping someone might have, or know where I can find, a VHS copy with those subtitles mentioned.

Any help would be appreciated as I am now googled to death trying to find it!!!

Mike

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    I too enjoyed this film and so far have failed to find a DVD of it. An underrated film with a heartbreaking ending.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Liked
    0 times
    i do have this buit am checking its quality.send me a pm if interested

Liked
    151 times
    Lots of R2 copies on ebay that claim to be 'brand new' but I couldn't vouch for their authenticity.

Liked
    0 times
    Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but you never know:-

Amazon.com

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='FilmBuffuk']Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but you never know:-

http://www.amazon.com/Operation-Dayb...3981780&sr=8-1

It is the right film and, according to the blurb, it is one of the South Korean copies. I bought one of these of e-bay and was new and sealed. It is a VHS transfer of reasonable quality but, as far as I know, as it is the only R2 DVD available and was only �4 inc postage so I'm not complaining.

Bats.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='shadowmike']Hi

I don't know if this film has already got a thread as I couldn't find a search option on the forum.

Mike
    There's a Search facility linked just under the top banner

You can get it to find threads or individual posts

Steve

P.S. Operation Daybreak, great film. Historically quite accurate and great drama as well.

Senior Member Country: France HitchcockScholar's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    [quote]name='shadowmike']Hi

... but that doesn't have english subtitles in the few sequences where the cast are speaking German and that is, to me , important...

I have an off-TV copy which includes English subs.

Please send me a PM

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks to the people who responded to this thread - in the end I got what I wanted through a rather convoluted method.

Someone here had an off air copy of the film which they kindly let me have. I already had the Korean version and as the quality was much better on that one I ended up adding the subtitles myself using the off air copy to get the correct wording. I then made a dvd from that and then recorded the dvd onto my dvd recorder hard drive with subtitles set to on.

Finally I burnt a dvd from the Hard Disc recording (which had the subs as part of it now).

So I now have a good qiality copy of this film WITH the subtitles.

If anyone wants more info on this please send me a message.

Mike

Liked
    255 times
    name='shadowmike']Thanks to the people who responded to this thread - in the end I got what I wanted through a rather convoluted method.

Someone here had an off air copy of the film which they kindly let me have. I already had the Korean version and as the quality was much better on that one I ended up adding the subtitles myself using the off air copy to get the correct wording. I then made a dvd from that and then recorded the dvd onto my dvd recorder hard drive with subtitles set to on.

Finally I burnt a dvd from the Hard Disc recording (which had the subs as part of it now).

So I now have a good qiality copy of this film WITH the subtitles.

If anyone wants more info on this please send me a message.

Mike

Phew!

Bats

Liked
    0 times
    I am off to Prague next week and hope to visit the church where the agents were surrounded and shot.It is still one of the controversies of the war.Was it a wise move in reflection to assinate Heydrich bearing in mind the revenge exacted by the Nazis.

Liked
    255 times
    name='orpheum']I am off to Prague next week and hope to visit the church where the agents were surrounded and shot.It is still one of the controversies of the war.Was it a wise move in reflection to assinate Heydrich bearing in mind the revenge exacted by the Nazis.

Even historians seem to disagree about this .... I have read some books which insist that Heydrich's death shortened the war, while others say it made no difference at all. I would interested to know what the Czech viewpoint on this is.

Bats.

Liked
    0 times
    i have recently purchased a biog of Heydrich off amazon which i hope will give me some answers.It is of course interesting to note that no similar actions were taken against other Nazi commanders.Admiral darlan was asssasinated in Africa but not by British agents.Maybe the British Government felt they owed something to the Czechs after selling them down the river at Munich.The Czechs were not allowed to particioate in the conference that decided their future.

Liked
    255 times
    name='orpheum']i have recently purchased a biog of Heydrich

I have read a couple about him .... you should enjoy the book. A fascinating man, but not one I'd have wanted to upset.

Bats.

Liked
    0 times
    There was the very good tv film starring Kenneth Brannagh about the Wannsee conference to decide on the final soloution.

Liked
    255 times
    name='orpheum']There was the very good tv film starring Kenneth Brannagh about the Wannsee conference to decide on the final soloution.

Yes, Conspiracy, I have that on DVD. The Germans did their own film on the conference a few years ago but the film I would really like to see is a 1960s Czech production about the assassination called Atentat. There were some clips from this featured in a documentary about the assassination on C4 sometime ago, this programme also demonstrated how closely Operation Daybreak stuck to the known facts.

Bats.

Liked
    0 times
    I have actually met the director Lewis Gilbert many times as he used to sit in the same area of Highbury as me.He must be one of our most versatile directors.

Liked
    255 times
    name='orpheum']I have actually met the director Lewis Gilbert many times as he used to sit in the same area of Highbury as me.He must be one of our most versatile directors.

He directed The Scarlet Thread which I taped last night and also directed Max in Wall of Death. Many of his films are among my personal favourites. Shame he's a Gooner ...

Bats.

Liked
    0 times
    In my years at Highbury i have had Barry Norman,Alf Ramsey and Geoff Boycott sitting in my row so he is in very good company.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast