Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainWaggett View Post
    Indeed - I've just sent in a correction for the entry for Nicolas Bentley, cartoonist, whose first name they've managed to spell wrong, but it's a bit galling to have to find online sources rather than every single book he contributed to.
    Can't you just scan in the pages from the books?

I know what you both mean but it is tricky. Some film reference books have quite serious errors in them. Just because it's in a book doesn't guarantee it's accurate. Remember, one source is plagiarism but two sources is research

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK Geoffers's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post

I know what you both mean but it is tricky. Some film reference books have quite serious errors in them. Just because it's in a book doesn't guarantee it's accurate. Remember, one source is plagiarism but two sources is research

Steve
    Death Trap (credits order)

Albert Lieven... Paul Heindrick
    Barbara Shelley... Jean Anscombe
    John Meillon... Ross Williams
    Mercy Haystead... Carol Halston
    Kenneth Cope... Derek Maitland
    Leslie Sands... Inspector Simons
    Barry Linehan... Detective Sergeant Rigby
    Richard Bird... Ted Cupps
    Gladys Henson... Housekeeper
    Murray Hayne... Ramsey
    Barbara Windsor... Babs Newton
    Edward Dentith ...Quilby ...
    Peter Welch ...Andrews
    Patrick Connor...Police Desk Sergeant

Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Teacake View Post
    Hear hear!
    Some appear to think that USA laws rule world wide?

However every country has its peculiarities and while there is no public domain for moving images in the UK it does have public domain for sound recordings (I think?) over 50 years old , which is visa versa in the USA..
    This could explain why Cliff Richard lent his desert island pad to Tony Blair when some of his records hit 50 years old in order to do something about his recordings falling out of his control..maybe?
    Yes, but it hasn't worked! EMI has now lost control of all Cliff Richard and Adam Faith's recordings for them prior to 1st January 1961. There have been several PD releases already, but at least in the case of Adam Faith, EMI has made an effort to compete. In April they are releasing a 6-CD box-set containing every track Adam recorded for them. For a price of around �14 that's going to be very popular. So, if the 50-year rule is encouraging record companies to re-issue their back-catalogue, I hope the European Parliament continues to block an extension to 75 years or whatever.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadwasinflame View Post
    Unless its changed i couldnt even add details when he died, somebody did it for me, i have a list of all the things he did and there is a lot more than Imbd is showing , for example Brookside, Love Boat and Scare crow and mrs King are just a few , if you could help id pm you the full list
    I found imdb.com to be so full of mistakes and the routine for correcting so impracticable, I set up a facebook group to list cast and credits and include screen grabs pretty much just for my own benefit. It's still work in progress.

My listing for Death Trap is at Oct 1962 : Death Trap (EW22) | Facebook repeated here (entries in brackets from 'Geoffers' added in this thread (from imdb?) to show differences):
    Albert Lieven...Paul Heindrik, (Heindrick)
    Kenneth Cope...Derek Maitland,
    Barbara Shelley...Jean Anscomb, (Anscombe)
    Mercy Haystead...Carol Halston,
    Leslie Sands...D.I. Simons, (Inspector Simons)
    Barry Linehan...D.S. Rigby,
    John Meillon...Ross Williams,
    Murray Hayne...Steve Ramsey, (Murray Hayne ... Ramsey)
    Peter Welch...Andrews,
    Edward Dentith...Quilby,
    Gladys Henson...Housekeeper,
    Richard Bird...Ted Cupps,
    Patrick Connor...Desk Police Sergeant, (Police Desk Sergeant)
    Barbara Windsor...Babs Newton.

Screenplay by John Roddick (EW novel),
    Produced by Jack Greenwood,
    Directed by John Moxey.

Patrick Connor
    Photos from Merton Park Studios | Facebook
    Barry Linehan and Leslie Sands
    and there are more from the film.

Liked
    5 times
    Just to clarify that my cast list came from my DVD copy of the film and were typed exactly as and in the order they appeared on screen.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    Just to clarify that my cast list came from my DVD copy of the film and were typed exactly as and in the order they appeared on screen.
    Mine is from the closing credits, in a slightly different order of my own choice, my five differences to yours being:
    There is no 'c' in Heindrik.
    There is no 'e' in Anscomb.
    Inspector Simons actually says Det. Insp. Simons, which I abbreviated to D.I.
    Steve Ramsey: I picked up the Christian name from the dialogue.
    Police Desk Sergeant actually says Desk Police Sergeant.

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by money.talks View Post
    I found imdb.com to be so full of mistakes and the routine for correcting so impracticable, I set up a facebook group to list cast and credits and include screen grabs pretty much just for my own benefit. It's still work in progress.
    Why impracticable? Lots of other people manage to do it.
    The IMDb is there for the benefit of all and we all share the information that we know to help build it up

Steve

Senior Member Country: Afghanistan
    Liked
    46 times
    Quote Originally Posted by money.talks View Post

and there are more from the film.
    You have to remember that IMDB is contributed to by volunteers who actually want to get the best info up there, but they dont always have access to a wide range of sources, as well as having their own job to do maybe ?
    Many like to get the ball rolling just by getting a bare bones page up there with basic info on something long forgotten and obscure hoping that if they dont have the info themselves somebody else will fill in the details- that is what so great about the IMDB is the fact that its a living encyclopedia.

If you think anything is wrong or missing on the IMDB then the way to fast track a modification is to post it right here as I am sure one of IMDB contributors who are members of this forum will sort it out for you?

Those who set up their own pages (because they deem the IMDB as inaccurate) usually soon find they are are overcome with fatigue as all the films and clashing sources blur into one and it all becomes a tiring five minute wonder.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times

Steve
    Indeed - that's what I've done. But Nicolas Bentley was really quite a well-known author/cartoonist with his name on the cover of at least 20 books. It's not a matter of a single film annual.

What's particularly annoying is the situation with biographies - once someone has posted one, all you can do is post another with with corrections. All sorts of rubbish gets accepted and spread around the interwebs (even as fair as this site ) because someone has written an IMDB biography. At least on Wikipedia, people quote their sources.

Liked
    5 times
    Indeed - that's what I've done. But Nicolas Bentley was really quite a well-known author/cartoonist with his name on the cover of at least 20 books. It's not a matter of a single film annual.

What's particularly annoying is the situation with biographies - once someone has posted one, all you can do is post another with with corrections. All sorts of rubbish gets accepted and spread around the interwebs (even as fair as this site ) because someone has written an IMDB biography. At least on Wikipedia, people quote their sources.
    Unfortunately, though, even these sources sometimes turn out to be incorrect. It really is very difficult indeed for IMDb staff to tell if a bio contains false information, especially if the bulk of it is obviously correct, or if the person concerned is not particularly well-known (to them). If a biography is clearly completely bogus they will remove it on request and if it contains errors thy will accept corrections - there's not much more they can do.

As has been said, at least the site can be constantly updated with corrections. In the case of a newspaper the damage has often already been done. Take the recent death of John Barry. The Guardian's obit contained numerous errors, including a throat cancer scare he didn't have and his birth name, Jonathan Barry Prendergast, which it wasn't. They have subsequently printed a correction to some of the errors but by the time this had been done I'd already heard a discussion on BBC Radio Ulster in which these "facts" were repeated.

Unfortunately, IMDb often receive requests to correct bios or remove them when the information is actually factually correct. This is what makes the job more difficult than it should be.

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    If you write a biography for IMDb you are not allowed to quote any sources, which I find bizarre. The rules say your piece must 'stand on its own'. So in theory you could put in any old rubbish and then it would be accepted as fact. I would much prefer to be able to site sources as well.

Senior Member Country: Afghanistan
    Liked
    46 times
    Quote Originally Posted by didi-5 View Post
    If you write a biography for IMDb you are not allowed to quote any sources, which I find bizarre. The rules say your piece must 'stand on its own'. So in theory you could put in any old rubbish and then it would be accepted as fact. I would much prefer to be able to site sources as well.
    I have a theory that films and TV programmes only decay or fade away when people loose interest in them and forget them. The one thing the IMDB is doing is keeping up an interest and curiosoity in these things for the generations who were too young to have seen them in the first place.
    We have had Jack Hedley mentioned here, and for those who vaguely remember him in one particular part pages like the IMDB can show he was in a lot of other stuff that they might be interested in as well?
    So I think a few innacuracies are neither here nor there as long as we can keep the films alive.
    IMHO

Liked
    418 times
    Yes you can quote sources. What you can't do is to copy from those sources. The mini-biography must be your own work. But that's because they don't want any problems with copyright, not because they want "any old rubbish". As for citing sources, it is only meant to be a mini-biography, a thumbnail sketch of the person.

You can also write a full biography on another web site which can cite as many sources as it likes. That can then be linked to the person's IMDb page as an external biography

Steve

Senior Member Country: Canada Zlatna's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I can't believe that everyone on this forum has never bought a bootleg or downloaded a torrent though ... !
    I do know that everything of Hannah Gordon's that has not been officially released and is available for a price on ioffer, are simply episodes/series that have been downloaded from the torrent sites and then burned to disc. The ioffer people make a profit doing what others for a myriad of reasons will not do.

Liked
    191 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Zlatna View Post
    I do know that everything of Hannah Gordon's that has not been officially released and is available for a price on ioffer, are simply episodes/series that have been downloaded from the torrent sites and then burned to disc. The ioffer people make a profit doing what others for a myriad of reasons will not do.
    Yes, and some make a massive amount of profit selling material that, for whatever reason, the copyright holders will not release. I have bought series and plays there because I know they will probably never be released - but it makes me sad to think that those genuinely involved in the material are making no profit from it - and if a commercial release happens I will have no hesitation in replacing my other copies. It isn't all torrent material though - some are conversions from old VHS or TV repeats of archive material.

I'd rather see something shared than out of circulation, but my perfect solution would of course be for everything to be made available legitimately. Especially the Edgar Wallaces - I have them all but would love to see decent copies.

Liked
    191 times
    Yes you can quote sources. What you can't do is to copy from those sources. The mini-biography must be your own work. But that's because they don't want any problems with copyright, not because they want "any old rubbish". As for citing sources, it is only meant to be a mini-biography, a thumbnail sketch of the person.

You can also write a full biography on another web site which can cite as many sources as it likes. That can then be linked to the person's IMDb page as an external biography

Steve
    I didn't know that - makes a lot more sense. And I agree with Arfur that IMDb is invaluable as a key point for starting to find out about new people. It is why I continue to contribute to it (and yes, I did write the mini biog for my particular favourite there as well as updating a lot of his screen credits). It does seem though that IMDb does accept material in the trivia section that is unsourced - occasionally that leads to some dubious 'facts' getting through!

Liked
    418 times
    I didn't know that - makes a lot more sense. And I agree with Arfur that IMDb is invaluable as a key point for starting to find out about new people. It is why I continue to contribute to it (and yes, I did write the mini biog for my particular favourite there as well as updating a lot of his screen credits). It does seem though that IMDb does accept material in the trivia section that is unsourced - occasionally that leads to some dubious 'facts' getting through!
    They're tightening up on that. You can always add your sources or citations in a explanation box where they offer one or in a Miscellaneous Comment even when they don't offer an explanation box. These won't be displayed but will be kept by the IMDb in case anyone ever queries the item

Steve

Senior Member Country: Canada Zlatna's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Yes, and some make a massive amount of profit selling material that, for whatever reason, the copyright holders will not release. I have bought series and plays there because I know they will probably never be released - but it makes me sad to think that those genuinely involved in the material are making no profit from it - and if a commercial release happens I will have no hesitation in replacing my other copies. It isn't all torrent material though - some are conversions from old VHS or TV repeats of archive material.

I'd rather see something shared than out of circulation, but my perfect solution would of course be for everything to be made available legitimately. Especially the Edgar Wallaces - I have them all but would love to see decent copies.
    A lot of torrent material is old VHS conversions or TV repeats of archive material, which the ioffer people then gleefully suck up and repackage, and sell to people who don't want to torrent. I'm almost certain that there is nothing on ioffer that wasn't first available as a torrent.

Member Country: Great Britain Lustgarten's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi everyone - I am looking for this wonderful series on DVD and wonder if any member would be kind enough to help out? I have some trades (Hanratty doc's/Ruth Ellis/some Kenneth Williams etc).

Hope someone can help.

Many thanks

Lustgarten

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    Has anyone invested in the box set of the complete series, is the quality ok?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast