Thread: Gangsters

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi all! Anybody remember "Gangsters" a comedy/thriller series of the 70's? It started life as a "Play for Today" then when onto a 12 episode series on the Beeb. It starred Maurice Colbourne and (as far as my memory allows) was really funny. If anyone has any idea where I can get, or has any video of this show I would be hugely grateful,Thanks, Decks.

Liked
    0 times
    deckard:

Hi all! Anybody remember "Gangsters" a comedy/thriller series of the 70's? It started life as a "Play for Today" then when onto a 12 episode series on the Beeb. It starred Maurice Colbourne and (as far as my memory allows) was really funny. If anyone has any idea where I can get, or has any video of this show I would be hugely grateful,Thanks, Decks.
    Hiya

I've got all twelve episodes as well as the Play For Today 'pilot' available as DVD or VHS. Could you email me a copy of your list. Thanks

Jim

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks Jim! clap Will be in touch shortly....erm got a few probs wiv me pc....suks! Regards, Decks.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    Does anyone else remember the Open University programme about the production of Gangsters?

The only bit I can remember is a shot of the series' writer, Philip Martin, completing typing the final script at some kind of Indian ceremonial occasion in front of a large audience!

This might sound like I was eating too much cheese before going to bed, but Gangsters became more and more barking as it went on. The late Maurice Colbourne said in an interview that he could have killed the writers.

Senior Member Country: Wales David Challinor's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    I'm still anti-Freeview (ie I've paid already for BBC output thru the licence so why should I pay again for BBC 4 etc) ...but if they put the old Play for Today's on BBC 4 I'd pay for a box right away, including Gangsters

Liked
    0 times
    Jim Morris:

Hiya

I've got all twelve episodes as well as the Play For Today 'pilot' available as DVD or VHS. Could you email me a copy of your list. Thanks

Jim

Hi Jim!, I PM'd you a couple of weeks back regards Gangsters and stuff, let me know if you want to arrange something, Regards, Decks. :)

Liked
    0 times
    Hi

I was wondering if you could send me your list and then we can set up a trade.

Jim

Liked
    69 times
    I remember one scene from Gangsters,where two hoods (or maybe one) had Maurice Colbourne's arms locked as a grinning black gangster was threatening him. However,the black gangster's hand was over the top part of a door frame of car and the door was open. Maurice kicked the door shut clap . I still wince on seeing the black gangster's face,as he screams in pain and Maurice sorts out the other hoods.

Ta Ta

Marky B thumbs_u

Liked
    0 times
    Ah Yes I remember it now, excellent p.... take, of police series, one of the first.

whatever did Maurice do after, i moved to SA in 1979 and lost touch with Brit Tv for 15 years (wonder why)

THE Iindian actor also went on to do some good stuff as well, name began with a J

Liked
    0 times
    hello anyone still got gansters???????????

perhaps we could do a swap ????????

Liked
    3 times
    (deckard @ Oct 7 2004, 07:33 PM)

I remember it well and it was set in Birmingham, and one of the clubs featured in it was The Rum Runner, the old stomping ground of the band Duran Duran, and I went there once in 1980 because it had featured on Gangsters.

Maurice Colbourne played John Kline, and later went on to play Tom Howard in Howard's Way, and died during the making of the series in France in the late 80s. Paul Barber (Denzil from OFAH) played a character called Mallison in Gangsters.

The last episode was strange because the camara panned away to reveal the set, cast and crew as if to say "That's it we've had enough of all this!".

Liked
    0 times
    I remember Gangsters extremely well from my youth. I have the novel books that accompanied the series as well. It was a dream come true when I went to Birmingham for the day in 1977, as a teenager, who only really knew London and the East End. The series really had atmosphere.

Some random jottings :

Paul Barber, of course went onto a lot of different, but loveable TV roles - besides Denzel in 'Only Fools...' - I remember him running into a cross-beam of sorts, and having a scar across his forehead from that time on in the series. His highlight no doubt has to be his role in the film 'The Full Monty', in particular the audition scene. What a mover!

The character that Paul Antrim - who also appeared in a similar role in a 'Sweeney' - was a right ********.

The moog theme was also catchy, and reiterated the ether of the series. I remember the composer doing a explanation and demonstration on Pebble Mill at One. An alternative version, with words, even made the Top 40! He has since worked with Terry Pratchett on the discworld films.

I expect that 'Gangsters' will not be repeated or released on DVD in the immediate future due to its lack of PC, but it has all the makings of an underground classic for those who remember it.

edit : typos

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    (Zaphod Beeblebrox @ Nov 18 2005, 01:01 PM)

I expect that 'Gangsters' will not be repeated or released on DVD in the immediate future due to its lack of PC, but it has all the makings of an underground classic for those who remember it.

edit : typos
    Good news! According to the those fine chaps at the Mausoleum Club, Gangsters is to be released next march by the Cinema Club label. Click on the link below to read the thread.

Gangster release

Liked
    0 times
    (Remy @ Nov 18 2005, 02:30 PM)

Good news! According to the those fine chaps at the Mausoleum Club, Gangsters is to be released next march by the Cinema Club label. Click on the link below to read the thread.

Gangster release
    That is truely fantastic news. Now I know what to get some friends for Christmas 2006.! I, for one, shall buy the complete set as soon as it is released!