Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    Did anyone tape/disc this from a non-digital source on ITV the other week ?

Just curious as the Digital transmission had a signing person as an overlay. I wondered if the analogue source didn't have this.

I was watching the FIVE documentary on Spitalfields the other day and that was signed on digital, but not on analogue ; hence I was wondering if the same applied to U & D....?

SMUDGE

[ 10. January 2005, 20:54: Message edited by: DB7 ]

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    </div><div class='quotemain'>smudge:

Did anyone tape/disc this from a non-digital source on ITV the other week ?

Just curious as the Digital transmission had a signing person as an overlay. I wondered if the analogue source didn't have this.

SMUDGE [/b]
    I taped it and it's the same on analogue.

I also have a recording from ITV of 'True as a Turtle' with a signer in the corner but found it unwatchable.

So I tried propping a book over that corner of the screen and that worked OK. wink

Liked
    0 times
    What is the point of this practise? If you were deaf or hard of hearing, you could view the sub titles on page 888. But either way, whether a person views sub titles or the distracting sight of someone in the corner of the screen waving their hands and arms about, they would get precious little time to watch the actual film. I suppose they have decided on sign language as well as sub titles in case the viewer can't read English.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    </div><div class='quotemain'>DAVID RAYNER:

What is the point of this practise? If you were deaf or hard of hearing, you could view the sub titles on page 888. But either way, whether a person views sub titles or the distracting sight of someone in the corner of the screen waving their hands and arms about, they would get precious little time to watch the actual film. I suppose they have decided on sign language as well as sub titles in case the viewer can't read English. [/b]
    Sign language isn't a universal language, it's British Sign Language they use, which is different from American Sign Language or signing in any other language.

See Wikipedia on sign language.

Steve

Liked
    151 times
    It's covert censorship wink

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    </div><div class='quotemain'>DB7:

[/b]

Whenever I see programmes with signing, the signer is in the lower right hand corner of the screen and fairly unobtrusive. Methinks that image was manipulated a bit clap

Steve

Liked
    151 times
    "if it weren't for those pesky kids".

Liked
    0 times
    </div><div class='quotemain'>DB7:

[/b]
    Is he so big to signify shouting?

Liked
    151 times
    Helen Mirren: Does my bum look big in this?

Liked
    151 times
    Going back to the original thread. I think ITV by law have to provide 10% of their programming signed - they normally get around this by adding sign language to programmes at 3 in the morning.

Some may find it a distraction, but it's only a minor inconvenience compared with those the deaf face on a daily basis. I'm not being PC just putting it in perspective.

With the advent of a digital service and the glorious 'red button' I'd have thought an on/off signing feature could have been created.

[ 11. January 2005, 16:15: Message edited by: DB7 ]

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the info and the link, Steve and quite right, DB7. There should be a way of switching the sign language off for those who don't need it. But I suppose this kind of thing will now spread, like the once non-existant but now common place practises of a continuity announcer chattering inanely about nothing in particular over the end cast of a film (that'll ruin your recording of the music), or the equally obnoxious practise of squashing the cast to the size of a postage stamp in the corner of the screen, making it completely unreadable, while the announcer chatters on about the glories of the following programme. Showmanship and pride in appearance? They haven't a clue what the words mean.

Liked
    114 times
    LOL David !

I was rejoicing that CH4 have finally rid themselves of the AWFUL animated 'coming next' cubes inbetween ad-breaks :) Only to find that those nice black fades they'd done on this afternoon's ST.TRINIANS film included some nasty clipping of the sequences leading into them

I suppose I could always wait a few years for BBC2 to buy the films...

SMUDGE

Liked
    151 times
    Last night's Demi-Paradise was also subjected to signing. I can understand why people have trouble concentrating as the contrast between old b&w film and colour signing is far from the ideal solution for either the deaf and film fans.

[ 17. January 2005, 17:32: Message edited by: DB7 ]

Liked
    114 times
    Mmm - at least with U&D it was colour on colour. So Sunday night (Mon a.m.) is signing night eh ?

Glad I already have DEMI-P :)

You would think that with the proliferation of digital channels, the prime ones could do whole channel variants TOTALLY signed for the HofH ; then they'd get a fair crack of the whip all the time too, rather than just odds and ends.

But then that might cost ITV1 money ; and they don't want that with somebody on the doorstep with a £6 billion bid for the company, as announced earlier...

SMUDGE

Liked
    151 times
    </div><div class='quotemain'>smudge:

Mmm - at least with U&D it was colour on colour. So Sunday night (Mon a.m.) is signing night eh ?

[/b]
    Yep, next week Appointment with Venus is subtitled and deaf-signed.

Liked
    114 times
    Remind me to miss it then...

(No offence to our HoH comrades-in-arms, but I do find it terminally distracting. blush )

SMUDGE