Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm really glad to see such a positive reaction to this great film. I saw it first when I was a child and only remembered the fog sequence, which came up as far as the first storey. Only a couple of years ago, I managed to track down a VHS copy and have since transferred it to DVD.

I never tire of watching it. The plot is wholly believable, the acting is spot on and the special effects, for the time, are very clever.

I'm really glad to have it as part of my collection and admit to watching it regularly; it's an hour and a half in the "comfort zone". Perhaps our politicians ought to watch it, as it is somewhat similar to what we're doing to the planet at the moment.

Wait a minute! Perhaps this "Global Warming" malarky is really an 11 degree shift in the earth's tilt, caused by................. no. It can't possibly be; our governments wouldn't really cover up something like this! That type of thing only happens in films! Besides, the French stopped testing nuclear devices a long time ago, when they realised nobody would buy their wine! Didn't they?

Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hopkins
    I'm feeling the urge to get this on disc, haven't seen it for years. What's the correct aspect ratio though, as I believe the US and UK discs are different - US in 2.35:1 and UK in 1.78:1, though the extras content appears the same. Can anyone confirm?
    The R1 disc doesn't have the McKern interview that the R2 disc has, unless it's an Easter egg and I missed it. I double dipped and bought the R2 disc just to see it, nice to see Leo interviewed,seems like a nice chap, can't recall seeing him ever interviewed before for anything, I think this is the fist time I've ever seen him out of character.

It looks like they used part of The Day Earth Caught Fire interview in Networks Prisoner documentary.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Absolutely cracking film - British cinema at its best. The DVD is worth every penny

Senior Member Country: England Owlett's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I thought the SFX of the Thames reduced to a fetid gutter was well-realized.

Liked
    0 times
    this was a great film. as an old (very) fleet street much-raker, I recall working a saturday evening at the sunday express in the 1970s and then arriving home to find the film showing on tv. extraordinary to see leo mckern sitting at the desk I was occupying only an hour or so earlier. leo made a convincing hack, but edward judd never hacked it for me

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='dulwichdave']this was a great film. as an old (very) fleet street much-raker, I recall working a saturday evening at the sunday express in the 1970s and then arriving home to find the film showing on tv. extraordinary to see leo mckern sitting at the desk I was occupying only an hour or so earlier. leo made a convincing hack, but edward judd never hacked it for me

Was Arthur Christiansen very convincing as the editor?

He really was the editor at the time.

Steve

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dulwichdave
    this was a great film. as an old (very) fleet street much-raker, I recall working a saturday evening at the sunday express in the 1970s and then arriving home to find the film showing on tv. extraordinary to see leo mckern sitting at the desk I was occupying only an hour or so earlier. leo made a convincing hack, but edward judd never hacked it for me

I thought Edward Judd did a pretty good job to be honest. Arguably this was his finest hour and is the film he is best known for. As for Leo, absolutely superb actor. He just makes it look so easy. In the DVD commentary, Arthur Christensen had cue cards all over the place so he didn't forget his lines. He's not an actor but I thought he did a reasonable job. It was a good touch to have the actual editor of the Daily Express playing, well, the editor!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dulwichdave
    that is a good story

Liked
    0 times
    What are those corrugated iron tubs on top of the vehicles in the film The day the earth caught fire. They seemed to have pipes going over the bonnet to the engine. I'm sure it was mentioned in the dialogue, but cant be bothered to sit through it so soon again.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times
    They were air-conditioning units to cool down the interiors of the vehicles.

D.

Liked
    0 times
    I,m after a link to still from the above movie that shows the roof mounted condensor/evaporater machines that the prop department fitted to the cars in the above movie, in particular the morris minor that Leo McKEARN drives (I think) as I,m a member of the morris minor owners clubs as well and that is one of the very early examples of the model, any pointers greatfully received.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Actually this is Edward Judd's car in the film, I ran it through quickly but don't recall seeing Leo McKern driving in the film

Liked
    0 times
    He just borrows it from McKern to go see Jeannie or the scientist person.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Yeah.. one of my favourite films.. haven't seen it for a while but i recall it was 'introducing' Edward Judd.. such a shame his career never took off and this ended up being his biggest role.. also sad to hear he passed away recently. Wasn't Janet Munro fantastic in this? must have just passed the censor!.. Great film.

Senior Member Country: England cassidy's Avatar
    Liked
    94 times
    About time it had an airing on TV.

cassidy.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    129 times
    Classic movie, bravo Val Guest. But did it catch fire before or after it stood still?

Senior Member Country: England cassidy's Avatar
    Liked
    94 times
    You'll have to buy the "Daily Express" to find out !
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy_Lea View Post
    Classic movie, bravo Val Guest. But did it catch fire before or after it stood still?

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    153 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy_Lea View Post
    Whichever way 'round it would likely be in the 'stop press'!

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    2 times
    I've always enjoyed this film but one thing has always puzzled me, if the second bombs stopped the earth getting closer to the sun, did they then push the earth away from the sun. Where the earth was at the end of the film wasn't a partucularly comfortable place to be, so, if the earth was pushed away from the sun, what would stop it from going too far and turning into an ice planet? Maybe it's time for a sequel, 'The Day the Earth Froze It's Arse Off'!

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 716Jones View Post
    I've always enjoyed this film but one thing has always puzzled me, if the second bombs stopped the earth getting closer to the sun, did they then push the earth away from the sun. Where the earth was at the end of the film wasn't a partucularly comfortable place to be, so, if the earth was pushed away from the sun, what would stop it from going too far and turning into an ice planet? Maybe it's time for a sequel, 'The Day the Earth Froze It's Arse Off'!
    Rather than a sequel, why not a remake? But this time, nothing gets done to stop it because the most powerful groups simply deny the earth is actually getting any hotter and accuse the paper of scaremongering. Until it's too late.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast