Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    Masterful fifties Science fiction told through a newspaper office. Simulaneous Russian and American Nuclear Tests knock the earth towards the sun and cause a catastrophic climate change. The cast includes a young Leo Mckern and portrays fifties London coming to an end through the cynical eyes of seasoned hacks. Far too intelligently written to be counted along with other sci-fi pictures of the time it is a must see.

Jago.

Liked
    0 times
    webmaster:

Masterful fifties Science fiction told through a newspaper office. Simulaneous Russian and American Nuclear Tests knock the earth towards the sun and cause a catastrophic climate change. The cast includes a young Leo Mckern and portrays fifties London coming to an end through the cynical eyes of seasoned hacks. Far too intelligently written to be counted along with other sci-fi pictures of the time it is a must see.

Totally agree....watch this and any Quatermass movie then watch Lifeforce and THEN rate how "good" Lifeforce is.

I loved the ending...the Daily (it is Express or Mail?) prints two front pages. Earth Doomed & Earth Saved.

Liked
    0 times
    As the club they used was off the back of old Fleet Street (pre-Murdoch) near St Bride's church, I'd always assumed that the paper was the Express but I can't be certain. Anyway I've been trying to obtain a video of this film for some time, anybody know of somewhere I might be able to purchase one. Any help would be much appreciated.

Liked
    151 times
    It was the Daily Express.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    And the newspaper editor, who seems a bit awkward in the part, was the real editor of the Daily Express at the time, Arthur Christiansen.

Steve

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times
    The story was serialized in the Express at the time of release and the paper sought maximum publicity because of its participation. The Express also serialized Quatermass II while it was being transmitted as a TV serial in 1955.

When I saw it in the cinema the non-flashback scenes had a red tint. The VHS version is b/w but I've heard that the tint is restored in the DVD version.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    The Invisible Man:

Anyway I've been trying to obtain a video of this film for some time, anybody know of somewhere I might be able to purchase one. Any help would be much appreciated.
    According to the IMDB this is available on video in the US and on DVD everywhere.

Liked
    0 times
    Yes the tint is restored in the new remastered DVD release from Anchor Bay, it also includes an interview with Leo McKern, UK/US trailers, together with a full directors commentary from Val Guest.

It is also available in Region 2 DVD, and has to be one of the releases of the year.

Now if only Anchor Bay could release Val Guest's "Hell is a City" in region 2 dvd and we would all be happy.

Oh I bought my copy from www.play.com £15.00 free postage.

Liked
    0 times
    The next time you watch this film pay particular attention for a cameo role played by Michael Caine who plays a police constable directing traffic. He stops Edward Judd who tells him he’s from the press and is on his way to see Jeannie Craig played by Janet Monroe. Caine warns Judd to stay clear of Chelsea because of trouble in the area.

Did anyone notice the stock footage of the London smog around the early 1950s during the heat mist sequence?

When I saw this film at the Odeon both the start and end of it had a kind of yellow hue to it, yet this has never been shown on the televised verions, does anyone know why?

-------------

Anthony

Senior Member Country: Vietnam hankoler's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    great film this, with leo mckern and edward judd the two reporters, the editor was played by the real editor of the express, the script i thought was quick witty and kept the film runnung at a fare pace.

Liked
    0 times
    I LOVE this film.

A very underated film IMHO. It's never on TV. I saw it on CH. 4 about 8 years ago and got the DVD. I have watched it countless times.

It is a very interesting subject for a film.

If you havent seen it then do yourselves a favour and get the DVD. You won't regret it for a moment!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    This is a masterpiece. The technical aspects and storyline of the film fascinate me - apparently the club they go to opposite the Express existed up until the papers moved to Canary Wharf and the Express Building still exists with its art deco entrance - now owned by Goldman Sachs

And it has the brief appearance of an unknown Michael Caine as a policeman.

Junior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Cracking film and a lovely British sci-fi feel to it. Leo puts in a perfect performance as always of course.

It may seem like a dull boring film by comparison to Hollywood disaster flicks though but it's got a lot more substance to it.

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadKenny
    Cracking film and a lovely British sci-fi feel to it. Leo puts in a perfect performance as always of course.

It may seem like a dull boring film by comparison to Hollywood disaster flicks though but it's got a lot more substance to it.
    That's because it's full of story and characterisations, not just special effects

Steve

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobean
    This is a masterpiece. The technical aspects and storyline of the film fascinate me - apparently the club they go to opposite the Express existed up until the papers moved to Canary Wharf and the Express Building still exists with its art deco entrance - now owned by Goldman Sachs

And it has the brief appearance of an unknown Michael Caine as a policeman.
    Also good footage of Battersea Power Station, Park and Chelsea Bridge.

Liked
    0 times
    I'm feeling the urge to get this on disc, haven't seen it for years. What's the correct aspect ratio though, as I believe the US and UK discs are different - US in 2.35:1 and UK in 1.78:1, though the extras content appears the same. Can anyone confirm?

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hopkins
    I'm feeling the urge to get this on disc, haven't seen it for years. What's the correct aspect ratio though, as I believe the US and UK discs are different - US in 2.35:1 and UK in 1.78:1, though the extras content appears the same. Can anyone confirm?
    The IMDb says it was released as 2.35:1

Steve

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Postmaster

Jago.
    Not seen this movie for years.

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wellpip
    Not seen this movie for years.

Then away and treat yourself. Excellent movie and arguably the best sci-fi movie from the UK in the sixties...

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadwell
    Then away and treat yourself. Excellent movie and arguably the best sci-fi movie from the UK in the sixties...
    Indeed it is .... a superb film .... go see it mrpip!

Bats.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast