Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Senior Member Country: Ireland
    Liked
    4 times
    The Third Man is a perfect film, and still fresh , 50 years later.
    Make that 60 years later.

GRAEME
    Not mentioned thus far, but great Spy TV, were the two series of 'Sandbagger' from 1978-80, starring Roy 'Adam Dalgleish' Marsden, Ray Lonnen and Richard Vernon....written by (allegedly) an insider, Ian Mackintosh, who died mysteriously before a third series could be written....a mixture of cold-war espionage and FCO politics, some episodes do seem to hint at 'Spycatcher' type goings on....

Certainly carries an air of authenticity, Marsden is superb...highly recommended. On DVD from

Network... Series 1 Series 2
    The show was called The Sandbaggers and there were three series of twenty episodes in total. Absolutely brilliant stuff!

Ian Mackintosh died in 1979 but he did write some of the scripts used in series three.

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    James Bond walks into M's office and in her/his place is George Smiley looking at Bond's file with a look of disapproval and sacks him

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    22 times
    watched ipcress again last night,superb film,great acting, just a sublime experience. One flaw though, when the police inspector gives Palmer the car information as a favour why did Palmer not return the favour? ie give him the girls phone number, sureley the policeman would not have done any more favours?
    I always say this when I watch it, give and take surely

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    I've just read David Lodge's account of how he did not get the shopkeepers part (Bernard Lee got it) in "THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD". Lodge remarks that the director, Martin Ritt, was not happy with the choice of Richard Burton. I find it difficult to think who else they could of cast at that time. Any thoughts?.

Patrick Mcgoohan (I think I may have spelled that wrong!!, it doesn't look right!!
    Needs a capital G ...

I have idly thought that too. He did a turn in Ice Station Zebra around the same time that suggests he could have easily morphed his popularity into a bitterness against the whole cold war paradigm. He does a great speech in ISZ, where he refers to how:

The Russians put our camera made by *our* German scientists and your film made by *your* German scientists into their satellite made by *their* German scientists.

Having said that, who would not have wanted Richard Burton to be the spy? Not me. He was fantastic.

Liked
    0 times
    Glad to see some love for The Deadly Affair, starring James Mason. Very similar tone to Ipcress and a great soundtrack from Quincy Jones.

:-)

Liked
    7 times
    I may be wrong but is 'Billion Dollar Brain' one of the very few sixties films to have a Beatles song in the soundtrack. I can't think of another non-Beatle film where one of their songs appear

Ironically, this sequence been cut from the DVD release due to "rights" issues !!

Liked
    22 times
    Isn't there a Beatles song in "The Prisoner" ? I know it's not a film but still rare

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    I may be wrong but is 'Billion Dollar Brain' one of the very few sixties films to have a Beatles song in the soundtrack. I can't think of another non-Beatle film where one of their songs appear
    It is one of the few, but there are a few others.

There's a Michael Nyman short called Love Love Love (1968) which has "All You Need is Love" on the soundtrack.

Katzenzungen (1967) - "Help"

David Holzman's Diary (1967) - "A Day in the Life"

Wavelength (1967) - "Strawberry Fields Forever"

So I suppose you could say that 'Billion Dollar Brain' is the only major non-Beatles sixties films to have a Beatles song in the soundtrack

Steve

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Isn't there a Beatles song in "The Prisoner" ? I know it's not a film but still rare
    They used "All You Need is Love" in episode "Fall Out" (1968), the final episode

Beatles songs have been used in other TV shows, even in the 1960s

An episode of "The Monkees" - "Mijacogeo" (1968) cheekily included "Good Morning, Good Morning" (uncredited)

The "Doctor Who" episode "The Evil of the Daleks: Episode 1" (1967) included "Paperback Writer" and episode "The Executioners" (1965) included "Ticket to Ride"

Steve

Liked
    22 times
    Thanks for that Steve

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    The "Doctor Who" episode "The Evil of the Daleks: Episode 1" (1967) included "Paperback Writer" and episode "The Executioners" (1965) included "Ticket to Ride"

Steve
    In the audio release of "The Evil of the Daleks" Episode 1 (the video of this episode having been wiped by the BBC), Paperback Writer is replaced by another (cheaper) contemporary song. I believe the R1 DVD release of "The Chase" omits the Beatles clip entirely.

Senior Member Country: England sanndevil's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Merton Park View Post
    Ipcress was superb when it was first released, and is still a great film, one of my all time favourites. I remember first hearing Caine's voice, and was really suprised, never really having heard a leading man speak with a cockney accent before. Within no time I got used to this unusual voice, and never really thought about it again, it added to the character.

The follow up, Funeral in Berlin, wasn't nearly as good, whilst Billion Dollar Brain seemed like a send up. I watched Bullet in Beijing a few years ago, and that wasn't quite so bad. But far and away, The Ipcress File was in a different league.
    Interesting - and proof that one man's meat is another man's poison. My two favourite spy movies from the 60s are Quiller Memorandum and Funeral in Berlin, both of which I have watched over 20 times and I'm not tired of them yet. In fact, FiB requires at least 3-4 viewings to understand the plot! In comparison, The Ipcress File leaves me totally cold - I always thought it too contrary and contrived, i.e. let's see how far removed from James Bond we can make this film. FiB is a little too arch and smug and steps closer to early James Bond sensibilities, but the sheer complexity of the plot, and Michael Caine's performance, is breathtaking. QM's casting was perfect - including George Sanders' cameo and the brilliant idea of casting the American George Segal (was this an early example of casting a bankable American for US audiences?), then you have Matt Munro singing the soundtrack and Pinter's dialogue and you have the perfect spy (well, neo Nazi anyway) film. Love them!

GRAEME
    Seriously now - are the later two Harry Palmers worth watching?

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAEME View Post
    Seriously now - are the later two Harry Palmers worth watching?
    For Harry Palmer/Michael Caine/spy film fans they are worth a look. They are pretty ropey but strangely enjoyable if you fall into any of the aforementioned categories. The plots are predictable, most of the performances are dull (Caine is as watchable as ever though), the direction is lethargic and the music is dire. However, I have them on DVD and actually do watch them now and again.

GRAEME
    Quote Originally Posted by batman View Post
    For Harry Palmer/Michael Caine/spy film fans they are worth a look. They are pretty ropey but strangely enjoyable if you fall into any of the aforementioned categories. The plots are predictable, most of the performances are dull (Caine is as watchable as ever though), the direction is lethargic and the music is dire. However, I have them on DVD and actually do watch them now and again.
    Cheers!

I am a Harry Palmer/Michael Caine/spy film fan and I just need more really. I shall take your post as a recommendation and set aside the snobbery that has prevented me from watching them so far.

How do they rate against the worst James Bond movies, just out of interest?

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAEME View Post
    How do they rate against the worst James Bond movies, just out of interest?
    If you ignore the awful synthesizer music, I would rate them as being on a similar enjoyment level to A View To A Kill, but on a much lower budget.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123