Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Italian Job

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    What I understand often happen is that DVLA 'loan' registrations, probably the lead actors initials, and the registration is only valid for the duration of the film and is then withdrawen

I doubt that this happened in the case of the minis since from memory the registrations had no particular significance.

Liked
    0 times
    I absolutely love Get Carter,the ending is so haunting and unforgettable.

What a soundtrack too !

Oh nuts..

I had two screens open and posted this on the wrong one. I thought I was still in favorite films.

Sorry.

Liked
    0 times
    I have only just watched the American 2003 version, and in my opinion, as good as it is, it's not a patch on the original British made one, which is just pure heaven.

After all these years, I still wonder what Michael Caine's 'idea' was

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by monspencer
    I have only just watched the American 2003 version, and in my opinion, as good as it is, it's not a patch on the original British made one, which is just pure heaven.

the ending was like that because it was assumed there would be a sequel .the film didnt do as well as expected in the usa so there wasnt !

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    40 years today. Italian Job first-run London presentation, Plaza Haymarket June 5-July 16,1969

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick C
    40 years today. Italian Job first-run London presentation, Plaza Haymarket June 5-July 16,1969
    Rick,

It's wonderful to see these old images. I'm glad you saved the newspaper. Unfortunately,with the way newspapers are disappearing, soon we'll have nothing to save.

Michael Caine has just gotten better and better, thinking of his latest "Is Anybody There?"

Barbara

Senior Member Country: England mallee59's Avatar
    Liked
    8 times
    Did they ever get the gold out of the coach at the end of the film?........

just waiting for the responses....

Senior Member Country: UK EHV_Emmetts's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mallee59
    Did they ever get the gold out of the coach at the end of the film?........
    The last line in the film:

"Hang on a minute lads, I've got a great idea".

Senior Member Country: England woody123's Avatar
    Liked
    11 times
    Can the American "Italian Job" really be a remake.Apart from the title nothing of the original story remains.To me ,as a classic Mini nut, the B*W car has nothing in common with the original Mini except the name which was all B*W bought Rover for in the first place.As a piece of filmed entertainment the American film is Ok but they should have called it "The American Job"

My one gripe with the original classic is the scene where one of the Minis is jacked up at the rear and the actor tells Caine that they are having trouble with the differential.You can jack the back end of a Mini up till kingdom come but the diff's in the gearbox at the front.It annoys the hell out of me every time I watch it.

Liked
    0 times
    It doesn't annoy me, in fact I've heard so many jokes like the fact the Minis must have had 4 wheel drive. lol

Or you could just assume that they were lying to Charlie Croker, as they were just making excuses for not doing much work or something?

Anyway the classic Mini Cooper S earned it's place in this Brit classic as it had won the Monte Carlo Rally outright 4 times (for starters) and all The Beatles were owners and so was Peter Sellers and Mick Jagger etc.

I always wondered why BMC/BL never got a mention at the end (Fiat did) and of course I learned the true reasons years later. BMC were very short sighted and got worst when British Leyland came into being, but they just thought that it would be bad publicity having their product feature in a gold heist. This was only a few years after the great train robbery after all.

Still, some 30 years later and with an American in charge, Rover finally acknowledged the significance of this film when they relaunched the Mini Cooper in July 1990.

As for the hatchback that BMW now sells, that was pure product placement and it's not a proper Mini either.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbie
    I know...What's with that?

At least the Mini is back. thumbs_u
    No, or yes if you take these into consideration: -

Wood and Pickett

Not cheap though and they can't use the Mini name because of copywrite issues now BMW own it.

Senior Member Country: England woody123's Avatar
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by taffy1967
    It doesn't annoy me, in fact I've heard so many jokes like the fact the Minis must have had 4 wheel drive. lol

Or you could just assume that they were lying to Charlie Croker, as they were just making excuses for not doing much work or something?

Anyway the classic Mini Cooper S earned it's place in this Brit classic as it had won the Monte Carlo Rally outright 4 times (for starters) and all The Beatles were owners and so was Peter Sellers and Mick Jagger etc.

I always wondered why BMC/BL never got a mention at the end (Fiat did) and of course I learned the true reasons years later. BMC were very short sighted and got worst when British Leyland came into being, but they just thought that it would be bad publicity having their product feature in a gold heist. This was only a few years after the great train robbery after all.

Still, some 30 years later and with an American in charge, Rover finally acknowledged the significance of this film when they relaunched the Mini Cooper in July 1990.

As for the hatchback that BMW now sells, that was pure product placement and it's not a proper Mini either.

Steve McQueen owned a Radford Mini.I've only seen black and white pictures of it but from written description it looks as though it was similar colour to the Adam Adamant car.

Senior Member Country: UK Jonathan Smith's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    That iconic scene in the film where the mini's are travelling through the tunnel and on some occasions, they try and "flip", well, being a fellow black countryman and living not to far from where these cars were built, I can tell you why they couldn't flip them. . . . . they still had a couple of British Leyland workers taking their tea-break in the boot. Someone forgot to remind them that their 10 minutes was up

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    129 times
    Quote Originally Posted by monspencer

BBC NEWS | Science & Environment | Italian Job conundrum is 'solved'

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by woody123
    Steve McQueen owned a Radford Mini.I've only seen black and white pictures of it but from written description it looks as though it was similar colour to the Adam Adamant car.
    Here's Steve McQueen's Mini Cooper and yes it was similar looking (colour wise) to Adam Adamant's which amazingly also exists and was recently fully restored to better than new condition: -

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Smith
    That iconic scene in the film where the mini's are travelling through the tunnel and on some occasions, they try and "flip", well, being a fellow black countryman and living not to far from where these cars were built, I can tell you why they couldn't flip them. . . . . they still had a couple of British Leyland workers taking their tea-break in the boot. Someone forgot to remind them that their 10 minutes was up
    LOL, but I think BL really got that kind of reputation during the bad days i.e. the 1970's and after Sir Alec Issigonis had retired.

Where as everything was fab and groovy during the 1960's when The Italian Job got made: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gOkPrcYNSg

Liked
    0 times
    Great link thanks.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by taffy1967

Sorry I got the time line wrong and it was actually 19 years between when the last UK built Mini Cooper (which was a Cooper S) got built (July 1971 for the anoraks) and the Mini Cooper got reborn (July 1990).

My memory isn't what it used to be.

Liked
    0 times
    Oh and it was an American bloke called Graham Day, who after becoming the company chairman of Austin Rover he vetoed the death of the original real Mini in the mid 1980's.

He was a Mini fan and he loved 'The Italian Job' (1969) film and thanks to him, a massive cult following started up after he introduced the Mini in Japan. So it was only a matter of time before the Cooper name officially graced the Mini again.

Here's the Italian Job influenced sales brochure that accompanied the 1990 introductory limited edition Mini Cooper models: -

That really was the first time the company paid any recognition to the film, even though it had helped keep sales of the Mini healthy for years and no doubt helped see it remain in full production for over 41 years (1959-2000).

Liked
    0 times
    following on and as a kind of acknowledgement to the passing of Troy Kennedy Martin this week, in 1993 there was actually a limited edition Mini badged up as 'The Italian Job'.

It wasn't a Mini Cooper though and it bared little resemblance to the cars in the actual 1969 film, more so as they came in red, white, blue and green!: -

italian%20job%20345.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast