Did you write that yourself, Will.15?

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Heck no....

Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by will.15 View Post
    The story is an urban legend that predates the Benson story.
    The Sally Ann Howes Christmas story has its basis in fact.

Last edited by Nick Dando; 23-01-11 at 10:39 PM.

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HUGHJAMPTON View Post

the 'sardines' game part of the ghost story is very similar to 'smee' by A.M.Burrage.

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times

I didn't know that. This is the most disturbing and genuinely frightening segment of the film, and on a whole different level. All of it is very well done, but I found this part to be the most effective.

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    It's such a shame that the sound quality on the Optimum DVD release of Dead Of Night that I have is so bad, that I can't make out most of the dialogue in the above scene. This film is a classic and deserves a proper remastering for DVD with high quality picture and sound. Many amazon uk customers are complaining about the atrocious quality of this DVD transfer.
    Last edited by darrenburnfan; 25-01-11 at 09:42 AM.

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    It's such a shame that the sound quality on the Optimum DVD release of Dead Of Night that I have is so bad, that I can't make out most of the dialogue in the above scene. This film is a classic and deserves a proper remastering for DVD with high quality picture and sound. Many amazon uk customers are complaining about the atrocious quality of this DVD transfer.
    Optimum sadly have gained a poor reputation for the standard of their releases. The quality control for their box sets of THE AVENGERS has been a joke.

Liked
    98 times
    What amazes me regarding Optimum is that when they get word that one of their releases is of poor quality, they don't recall all the copies and then re-master the product and re-release it. I was surprised that the quality of their Sammy Going South DVD was excellent. It appears that they can do things right...some times.

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenburnfan View Post
    What amazes me regarding Optimum is that when they get word that one of their releases is of poor quality, they don't recall all the copies and then re-master the product and re-release it. I was surprised that the quality of their Sammy Going South DVD was excellent. It appears that they can do things right...some times.
    To be fair to Optimum as regards THE AVENGERS, they did redo the faulty discs for the Series 1/2 boxset, the series 4 boxset and I believe the series 5 boxset, though I'm waiting to hear the "all-clear" on series 5 before I part with the considerable amount of cash that is required to purchase it. The new discs were provided FOC as long as you paid the postage when returning the faulty discs to them!

Liked
    98 times
    Maybe they should outsource the pressing of their releases to another contractor. Whoever does it for them now is obviously not very reliable regarding quality.

Senior Member Country: Ireland Edward G's Avatar
    Liked
    107 times
    Will,
    Enjoyed your posting on this.
    Genuinely unnerving.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    22 times
    The original negative of Dead of Night is no longer in existence, apparently destroyed many years ago which explains why a lot of prints in circulation are not as good as other Ealing classics. What looked like an original print of Dead of Night was used though for the very first dvd issue of this film in about 2004, much better than that later used by Optimum when they took over the Ealing releases. Although the image on the first dvd issue had some scratches and minor imperfections, it was much clearer and better contrasted and sound was clearer. Worth looking out for this version (It was issued as part of a box set initially, possibly released by Warner Home Video)

MrT

Liked
    98 times
    What a shame, MrT. Perhaps all is not lost though, as so-called dupe negatives would have been made at the time to send to places like America; Australia; Canada and New Zealand, so that those countries could print their own copies for distribution. The main problem here would be that those dupe negatives would almost certainly have been on nitrate film and would surely have corroded beyond use after sixty-six years. However, a complete print in good condition may still exist somewhere.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    The first negatives sent to the USA were mucked about with to cut out the best story

Liked
    98 times
    Blimey, no good looking there for one then, Captain!

Liked
    98 times

Does anyone know who played Francis Kent in the film? He isn't credited on the film cast list or on the IMDb or anywhere else.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    I have just lent my DVD of Dead of Night to my 14 year old son with instructions to watch it in his room last thing with all the lights off. He anticipates that the ventriloquist dummy will be the scariest bit but I casually mentioned to look out for a mirror! I will let you all know how it goes.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Pricey View Post
    I have just lent my DVD of Dead of Night to my 14 year old son with instructions to watch it in his room last thing with all the lights off. He anticipates that the ventriloquist dummy will be the scariest bit but I casually mentioned to look out for a mirror! I will let you all know how it goes.
    He might want to watch out for buses too... and as for golf clubs

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Odeon68's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Quite remarkably, a pretty good looking print of DEAD OF NIGHT turned up on youtube a couple of years back, and farsightedly I managed to record all the segments of this and put them onto home-made disk. The higher quality of the downloads meant the movie had to be spread over 4 seperate shiney discs [lower-res movies only 'officially' available on youtube can often be fitted onto a single disc]. This youtube version is certainly clearer than any UK TV print I ever saw over 3 decades.

I have clearly labelled these disk's contents, and intend converting them all as one, which I intend transferring onto a single blank blu-ray -------- I reckon it may be from the 'Queen of Spades' version, which is prohibitively expensive as we speak......as long as I watch this version on a scaled-down computer screen like flv-player, I'll have a clear-enough version of this excellent chiller.

Sadly, this version on youtube has since been removed, and existing versions on there now seem about on-par with the region 2 DVD release.
    Last edited by Odeon68; 23-07-12 at 10:07 PM.

Senior Member Country: United States torinfan's Avatar
    Liked
    71 times
    I saw a copy at Youtube - must get around to seeing it once again.

Hopefully tonight!

:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast