Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 81 to 95 of 95

Thread: Dead of Night

  1. #81
    Banned Country: UK
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    22
    Liked
    0 times
    I loved the movie.

  2. #82
    Senior Member Country: UK MATTY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    175
    Liked
    0 times
    I have seen this film 4 or 5 times, it is excellent. My favourite story is the one involving the childrens party. It always spooks me.I like film anthologies.

  3. #83
    Member Country: UK
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    77
    Liked
    0 times
    It's a film I saw on television when I was quite young, and it petrified me - the ventriloquist section especially. Even thinking about it is quite frightening, especially if I'm alone in the house, as I am at the moment...really chilling. Also the haunted mirror section.
    It was shown again a few years ago, and was just as frightening.

  4. #84
    Senior Member Country: Australia IlllIIllllIIii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    804
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zonedevil84 View Post
    I loved the movie.
    I thought it 'a curate's egg' myself. Excellent in parts.

  5. #85
    Member Country: UK
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    77
    Liked
    0 times
    We watched this last night, and what struck me this time, as some one mentioned earlier in the thread, was all the smoking! Every scene seemed to take place in a haze of cigarette smoke. I suppose that in 1945 audiences wouldn’t have noticed.
    The Redgrave section and his performance are outstanding. I came across a thread on the imdb that suggested that he had learned to throw his voice, and was “doing” the voice of Hugo. I assumed that the very slight movements of his lips were conveying that he was producing Hugo’s voice, but that actually he wasn’t.
    In the final part of that sequence, when Redgrave is in bed in a room (cell?), for a second I didn’t recognise him.

  6. #86
    Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,131
    Liked
    143 times
    For a film project, I need to know who directed Dead of Night, and what the certificate was when it came out.

    The usual websites refer to the directors of each sequence, but isn't there an overall directorial credit? The film has been ordered but until it arrives I can't check the credits. The certification thing is also proving a little complex because the one website referring to it as an 'A' also refers to the 'H' certificate which I thought was a US not a UK certificate.

    I could try to appear more knowledgeable about all this by googling but I am happy in my ignorance and certain that my fellow members will know this stuff off the top of their heads.

    thanks in advance.

  7. #87
    Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6,020
    Liked
    98 times
    This is the advert that I copied down in my Stoke on Trent area programme records for the week beginning Monday, November 12th, 1945,
    from the original 'Today's Cinemas' page in the Evening Sentinel.

    REGENT, Hanley, for six days:

    Michael Redgrave; Mervyn Johns; Googie Withers and Ralph Michael in

    DEAD OF NIGHT (A).

    Showing at 2 pm; 5 pm and 8 pm.

    Also Full Supporting Programme.

    The BBFC passed it with an 'A' certificate on August 2nd, 1945.
    Last edited by darrenburnfan; 25-09-15 at 07:09 PM.

  8. #88
    Senior Member Country: Great Britain Odeon68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    525
    Liked
    0 times
    Can anyone report on the quality of the blu-ray release out fairly recently? Apparantly it is quite reasonable.

  9. #89
    Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    10,453
    Liked
    182 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowdon View Post
    For a film project, I need to know who directed Dead of Night, and what the certificate was when it came out.

    The usual websites refer to the directors of each sequence, but isn't there an overall directorial credit? The film has been ordered but until it arrives I can't check the credits. The certification thing is also proving a little complex because the one website referring to it as an 'A' also refers to the 'H' certificate which I thought was a US not a UK certificate.

    I could try to appear more knowledgeable about all this by googling but I am happy in my ignorance and certain that my fellow members will know this stuff off the top of their heads.

    thanks in advance.
    Rowdon, the screen credits simply say "Directed by Cavalcanti Charles Crichton Basil Dearden Robert Hamer". I think it was an "A"; Denis Gifford's A Pictorial History of Horror Movies lists all the "H" certificates and Dead of Night isn't included. "H" was indeed a BBFC category for "Horrific", used from about 1932 until 1951 when the "X" certificate was introduced.

    Quote Originally Posted by Odeon68 View Post
    Can anyone report on the quality of the blu-ray release out fairly recently? Apparantly it is quite reasonable.
    The bluray certainly has an improved picture, but the sound is still quite muffled and a bit warped, Odeon. Perhaps the original soundtrack materials they worked from are irrevocably poor.

  10. #90
    Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6,020
    Liked
    98 times
    It's rather pointless releasing the film on BluRay unless they have access to the original 35mm negatives or a pristine 35mm print of the film and apparently, none seem to have survived. However, sometimes, such things turn up abroad in Canada; Australia; New Zealand, or some other English speaking country. There are also a lot of 35mm cinema films in private hands. So one just might turn up one day. I'd be surprised if the BFI didn't have an original copy in their archives.
    Last edited by darrenburnfan; 26-09-15 at 07:20 AM.

  11. #91
    Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    4,131
    Liked
    143 times
    Thanks for the quote, Darrenurnfan and thanks to Gerald Lovell for the screen credits - the fact that they say "Cavalcanti Charles Crichton Basil Dearden Robert Hamer" explains why all the websites say the same thing. After posting I checked in Jonathan Rigby's English Gothic (should have done so before, perhaps) and he says "The edgy linking sequences were directed by Dearden" so that's the whole film covered.
    I'm a bit concerned now (after reading other posts here) that the quality of the DVD isn't going to be that good. The one we'll be using is from this box set:

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Definitive-E...dvd+collection

    Will it be OK? Has anyone seen this version?

  12. #92
    Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    6,020
    Liked
    98 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowdon View Post
    Thanks for the quote, Darrenurnfan and thanks to Gerald Lovell for the screen credits - the fact that they say "Cavalcanti Charles Crichton Basil Dearden Robert Hamer" explains why all the websites say the same thing. After posting I checked in Jonathan Rigby's English Gothic (should have done so before, perhaps) and he says "The edgy linking sequences were directed by Dearden" so that's the whole film covered.
    I'm a bit concerned now (after reading other posts here) that the quality of the DVD isn't going to be that good. The one we'll be using is from this box set:

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Definitive-E...dvd+collection

    Will it be OK? Has anyone seen this version?
    Amazon customers are complaining that Dead of Night isn't on that set, it's a modern colour film entitled Dylan Dog (whatever that is). Studio Canal have made a right bodge up with it. Try and get the film on its own.

  13. #93
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    260
    Liked
    0 times
    I understood that the master material of Dead of Night was lost in studio fire sometime ago.
    Obviously being nitrate stock didn't help matters.
    However a few years ago I went to see DON at one of those independent cinemas, it was obviously a very old print and quite crackly sound wise and actually enhanced the terrific atmosphere I thought.

  14. #94
    Senior Member Country: Great Britain Odeon68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    525
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks, guys [Gerald and Darren]: reckon I will go for the blu-ray------love the quick model shots used for the bus crash in this!

    Only three films have ever really creeped me out---and this film is one of them. Not bad for a 1945 entry.

  15. #95
    Senior Member Country: England cassidy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,901
    Liked
    94 times
    David Quinlan's book on British films gives it as an "A" Certificate. Without going through all the book I seem to remember that the only British film in the 40's in the book with an "H" Cert is The Fall Of The House of Usher.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Similar Threads

  1. Dead of Night: The Exorcism
    By Mandragora in forum British Television
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 13-03-15, 09:05 PM
  2. Dead of Night - Locations
    By Scouse Jeff in forum Film Locations
    Replies: 195
    Last Post: 27-06-14, 09:21 PM
  3. Dead of Night
    By torinfan in forum Films on TV
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-12-09, 02:07 AM
  4. dead of night v the wicker man
    By leebanks111 in forum Media Studies
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 18-03-09, 07:06 PM
  5. DEAD OF NIGHT - 22 Dec. in Bath
    By theuofc in forum Dates for your Diary
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 17-12-08, 03:03 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts