Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dam Busters

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    It's already out on DVD Marky, and has been for a while. I THINK you can get it individually, but it's current in THE BRITISH WAR FILM COLLECTION box set in HMV's sale. ICE COLD IN ALEX is another one in there.

McGoohan is the guard who sends 'that dog' off to it's untimely death....

SMUDGE

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    Not that it detracts too much from the overall quality of the film but it's a pity that some of the model work is pretty ropey. Still a great yarn for all that.

Senior Member Country: UK Freddy's Avatar
    Liked
    243 times
    A special effects chap mentioned that the best way to get a more natural water splash as in the Dambusters would have been simply to add salt to the water.

As you say though Tony it is far better to suspend

belief, similar to the landslide in the Railway Children, you could practically see the wires but it did not spoil the enjoyment of the film.

regards

Freddy

Liked
    0 times
    I know that bit of film with the shot down plan Tony. It's like the burning buildings at night one when the whole front of the building falls across the road making the firemen scatter. This is usually followed by the morning after air-raid shot of the double decker bus with the Hovis advert on it in the bomb crater. No old B/W war film would be the same without them.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    7 times
    Ah yes, the Hovis bus lying at a peculiar angle after being hit by a bomb. It's one of those oft-repeated and enduring wartime clips that stick in the mind. Another is the shot from a landing craft of scattered beachside houses during the D-Day landings and yet another is the scramble being rung at a fighter base on a bell bearing the words "Don't come till I ring then run like hell" or something along those lines.

Liked
    0 times
    The D-Day one Alan has just reminded me of the Dunkirk clip. The soldiers are walking into the sea off the beach and then climbing onto a ship. The camera is filming from the bridge and picks up a shot of one squaddy arriving on deck who only has the top half of his battledress on.

I think the sign at the fighter base says "Don't stand and yell ring like hell".

Liked
    0 times
    The wartime newsreel clip I remember the most is a shot of the Houses of Parliament and Big Ben surrounded by barb wire, with a double decker bus coming towards us on the far side of the road and an armoured scout car going away from us on the near side and passing the bus. It was the shot that used to open the 1961 weekly television film series "Winston Churchill: The Valiant Years" on BBC Television every Saturday evening. Now that was a great series, so why isn't it available on video or DVD as with "Victory at Sea."

Coming back to the subject of Political Correctness, I recall that as a youngster in the early 1950's, we used to have an ornament on the sideboard of a little negro boy sitting on a log and the embossed caption underneath read:"Little Black Sambo." I doubt whether the BBC would ever allow that to be screened on the Antiques Roadshow these days.

Liked
    0 times
    DAVID RAYNER:

The wartime newsreel clip I remember the most is a shot of the Houses of Parliament and Big Ben surrounded by barb wire, with a double decker bus coming towards us on the far side of the road and an armoured scout car going away from us on the near side and passing the bus. It was the shot that used to open the 1961 weekly television film series "Winston Churchill: The Valiant Years" on BBC Television every Saturday evening. Now that was a great series, so why isn't it available on video or DVD as with "Victory at Sea."

Coming back to the subject of Political Correctness, I recall that as a youngster in the early 1950's, we used to have an ornament on the sideboard of a little negro boy sitting on a log and the embossed caption underneath read:"Little Black Sambo." I doubt whether the BBC would ever allow that to be screened on the Antiques Roadshow these days.
    Now, there IS a point!

Liked
    0 times
    I take some of your points re PC, however the fact remains that terms previously used in normal conversation are now totally offensive to decent minded individuals.

I would therefore be grateful if members could refrain from airing their repugnant racist views any further on this thread.

Lets get back to British films.

Thank You

Liked
    0 times
    Russ:

I take some of your points re PC, however the fact remains that terms previously used in normal conversation are now totally offensive to decent minded individuals.

I would therefore be grateful if members could refrain from airing their repugnant racist views any further on this thread.

Lets get back to British films.

Thank You
    Hold it there lad! - nobody's endorsing what you call repugnant racist views. If the film/play/script was written in that fashion, then it must stand that way! AND people are still entitled to their opinion, whatever the PC brigade may think.

How can you say 'get back to british films', when many of the old films we talk about on this webby were full of racist remarks anyway?

I work with many immigrants and I can tell you when it comes to racists remarks, they take some beating!!!

Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    1 times
    Doris stokes <nee sutton>the medium was a driver in the the war and drove guy gibson about

then later when she lived in country was a childrens nurse and looked after richard todds children !!!!!!!!!

Liked
    0 times
    Spooky !!, I love things like that, thanks Anthony

Senior Member Country: UK Freddy's Avatar
    Liked
    243 times
    http://www.dambusters.org.uk/gibson.htm

60 years ago on the 19th September.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Whether Black, White, Polish or anything in between, those people back then were absolute heroes and I think it's a shame that perhaps near-sighted words like "repugnant" and maybe paranoid accusations of "racism" bandied around by a certain member should detract from the deep humilty in which we should remember the events of 60 years ago......lest we forget.....

Liked
    0 times
    RIGHT ON DECKS..... thumbs_u

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Here, here - Decks!

Great history piece on Guy Gibson, Freddy!

RIP!

Gibbie

Super Moderator Country: Scotland
    Liked
    27 times
    Is the dialogue intact in the Warner Home Video DVD? Anchor Bay plan to release a boxset of at least 5 British classic war films, 4 of which shall be Ealing films, the 5th being The Dam Busters. I shall write and let them know our thoughts on the subject, to keep the word in.

Liked
    0 times
    Just to clarify , you know very well that none of my comments were aimed at the people you suggested, and if you knew my background you would immediately realise that could never be the case.

It was merely aimed at puerile minds who glory in using words which are now in today's society classed as repugnant and racist.

The way you use them is as of a child discovering their first "swear" word, repugnant, racist and pathetic.......

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Also,just to clarify my post..there was never any "suggestion" that comments were aimed at the people of those days, the suggestion was that it was aimed at members..."if members could refrain from airing their repugnant, racist views"...so to use your ideology, if you knew our backgrounds you would also immediately realise.....

Pathetic? some might say, racist? never.And that as far as I am concerned is the end of the matter, I would much rather concentrate on the wonderful knowledge and film conversation on this forum. :)

Liked
    0 times
    Absolutely Decks ... I totally agree and I am grateful for your comments, thank you ........

As one who has spent all day in Rochdale trying to raise any sort of feeling and enthusiasm for tonight's documentary and film we have a lot of work ahead...

Take Care

Russ

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast