Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dam Busters

Liked
    0 times
    They didn't cause much in the short term but they did manage to create disillusion which I feel gave us an edge. I feel strongly for those prisoners of war that got swept away by the resulting flood but war is war and casualties are a part of it, there is no easy way to explain it I suppose.

I was brought up in a rough end of Sheffield where battles between blacks and whites were an everyday occurrence, some families just up and left because of the whites intolerance. However I also was beaten pretty badly and robbed by a bunch of Jamaicans not too long ago, this is probably why I don't want to see multi-culti or the pc brigade get the upper hand, to me at least it spells disaster, also whilst I'm at it, Thatcher was a bad leader no doubt and I agree to her being removed from office but as for her not being English...can't say I agree there, the Falklands was a mess but if the Russians had their way who knows..

Liked
    0 times
    What did they do when they broke the dam?

That was also the codeword sent back when the dam burst.

I do dislike the re-writing of history like that.

Steve
    The code word is Vesuvius its repeated in the control room when the dams break

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    The code word is Vesuvius its repeated in the control room when the dams break
    Sorry,Peter,you are getting mixed up with 633 Squadron.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Liked
    0 times
    As no one seems to have mentioned it i would like to point out that today is the 65th anniversary of the raid.There is a flypast by a Lancaster and 617 squadron at Derwent water today which is or has been shown on BBC news

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    As no one seems to have mentioned it i would like to point out that today is the 65th anniversary of the raid.There is a flypast by a Lancaster and 617 squadron at Derwent water today which is or has been shown on BBC news
    And Richard Todd is laying a wreath of poppies on the water....

Respect to those who never came home.

Smudge

Liked
    69 times
    Just watched the memorial flypast on the BBC news. Only one pilot from the raid is still alive. Despite the arguments that it did little damage to the German war effort,it was still a magnificent achievement of unparalleled heroism.

Ta ta

Marky B

Senior Member Country: England earlb's Avatar
    Liked
    15 times
    It's also so moving and sad that East Midlands Today (BBC) didn't cover it. BBC National, ITV News and Central News East did. PLEASE - PLEASE do not let us forget what 617 Squadron did and their bravery and heroism. In case anyone didn't know, the whole operation was controlled from Grantham in what are now Government offices. Also don't let the P.C brigade win - History is History and shouldn't be tampered with (you know what I'm talking about).

Senior Member Country: England mrs_emma_peel's Avatar
    Liked
    155 times
    Very moving to see the Dambusters news tribute and the brief interview with Richard Todd.

There’s an excellent documentary on the Dambusters raid narrated by Geoffrey Palmer with reconstructions, rare archive footage and interviews – one with Barnes–Wallice’s son, on the National Geographic channel, 5pm, 4th June 08 and at 3pm 10th June 08.

Liked
    0 times
    Very moving to see the Dambusters news tribute and the brief interview with Richard Todd.

There’s an excellent documentary on the Dambusters raid narrated by Geoffrey Palmer with reconstructions, rare archive footage and interviews – one with Barnes–Wallice’s son, on the National Geographic channel, 5pm, 4th June 08 and at 3pm 10th June 08.
    Showed it to the twin Rugrats and they were in awe at the sight of the Lancaster, have to admit, I shed a tear. Will never forget.

Many years ago I was playing golf at Perivale, West London, and I was privilege to see a Vulcan bomber, two Spitfires and a Lancaster heading towards Notholt Aerodrome and that for me bought home the sacrifices of the lost so that we could be free.

Hooked off the line

Liked
    15 times
    This is a photo of me and my friend during our National Service in 1956. It was taken at the Mohne Dam and we went there to pay tribute to those who went over and above the call of duty. Heroes one and all.

Liked
    151 times
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrswB3zjWS8

One of the most noticeable things is just how slow the aircraft is, and wouldn't have posed a great deal of difficulty to ack-ack gunners.

Liked
    0 times
    I also watched the fly by on the news last night what an amazing sight of the plane gave me shivers down my spine.

Liked
    0 times
    Relatives of both Guy Gibson and Barnes Wallis were present at the flypast.I have been to the dams,some years ago and met one of the Germans who was in a flak battery on the dam.very interesting.

Liked
    15 times
    You need time to read this - It's the War Office record of a blow by blow account on the Dam raids. It reads like a 'Boys Own' adventure - But it's for real - It is History.

http://www.dambusters.org.uk/docs/recordbook.pdf

Liked
    0 times
    If only they still made movies like this. Then again the PC brigade would probably not allow it. I guess it would be deemed too 'english' and likely to offend the rest of the world?

Liked
    7 times
    The 2007 BBFC Annual Report has an interesting para on The Damnbusters in which the BBFC discuss the appropriaetness of its U certificate given the name of the dog.

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    If only they still made movies like this. Then again the PC brigade would probably not allow it. I guess it would be deemed too 'english' and likely to offend the rest of the world?
    It would offend most of the Commonwealth if it was too English....more than half of the crews were Canadian, Aussies and New Zealanders. And at least one Yank.

Senior Member Country: UK Freddy's Avatar
    Liked
    243 times
    Robin Gibb was on the Daily Politics show earlier in the week. He was there as President of the Heritage Foundation and was talking of Bomber Command and the fact that there is no memorial to them even though more than 55,000 died. Nearly all were young volunteers aged between 18 and 22. The Heritage foundation is raising funds so that a memorial can be built.

Ian Duncan Smith who was there as well added that those who died were some of the brightest young men, engineers and technicians of that generation which after the war ended, contributed to the decline of Britain as an industrial base.

Regards

Freddy

Liked
    0 times
    Hi, I was reading the information about the Dam Busters on this website and 1955 is shown as the release date - however my lecturer had said 1954 so I was wondering which is the correct date.

Ashley

Liked
    7 times
    It was filmed between April and September 1954 and premiered at the Empire, Leicester Square on 16th May 1955.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast