Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The 39 Steps

Liked
    0 times
    About 6 months ago I thought I would like to read the book again. So I brought a non pc 1938 copy from abebooks at a very good price. Turned out to be a too good to be true price for a 1938 book. Turned out to be a cd of the Orson Wells Mercury Theatre Broadcast of August 1st 1938. Its a lot closer to the book than any of the films and was a happy surprize in the end. Got a surprize in my Christmas stocking as well this year, two tickets to see the stage vertion in Feb. Which was nice.

Liked
    0 times
    i love the 39 steps, robert powell version only. also i bought HANNAY (very expensive) but worth it

HANNAY is the TV version , new adventures same character

steve

Liked
    0 times
    i love the 39 steps, robert powell version only. also i bought HANNAY (very expensive) but worth it

steve

I like all three versions for different reasons - the first one for its age and the actors; the second one for Ken Moore (always liked him0 and the 3rd one for Robert Powell and the scenery; there are other considerations of course - but I'll leave them for now.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    This film has been played by a great many english actors but for me Robert Donat, Kenneth More and even Robert Powell!

I have to say that the Robert Donat version for me was the classic a very good story loved this film

Liked
    0 times
    I've never watched the origional but of the Robert Powell and Kenneth More versions I prefer Robert Powell. It was a film I watched as a child and never forgot.

Liked
    1 times
    It's maybe the one film that ANY version is great................

Ken Moore just edges Powell for me....................

Liked
    1 times
    First version, fantastic

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    This film has been played by a great many english actors but for me Robert Donat, Kenneth More and even Robert Powell!
    They are the only three actors to have played Hannay in versions of The 39 Steps.

The only other actor to have played Hanny at all is Barry Foster in a rather good TV version of The 3 Hostages.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times

steve

I would second that.

I have the Powell DVD too.

Liked
    255 times
    I would second that.

I have the Powell DVD too.
    I love the Powell film and the series .... I am glad I am not the only person who likes the series!

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    They are the only three actors to have played Hannay in versions of The 39 Steps.

The only other actor to have played Hanny at all is Barry Foster in a rather good TV version of The 3 Hostages.
    A pedant writes ...

The stage version of The Thirty Nine Steps has been running for about 18 months and has had at least two cast changes. It's on Broadway, plus there's a touring version so at least five other actors have played Hannay.

Liked
    255 times
    A pedant writes ...

The stage version of The Thirty Nine Steps has been running for about 18 months and has had at least two cast changes. It's on Broadway, plus there's a touring version so at least five other actors have played Hannay.

The pedant in you should realise that on a site about films/TV I was referring to the screen appearances of Hannay.

And I saw the stage version at the Southwold Summer Theatre, directed by Jill Freud, in 1999, so I know all about that fantastic show.

Liked
    492 times
    The pedant in you should realise that on a site about films/TV I was referring to the screen appearances of Hannay.

And I saw the stage version at the Southwold Summer Theatre, directed by Jill Freud, in 1999, so I know all about that fantastic show.
    #

But you did say 'ever'. *is smug*

I taught Jill Freud how to use a PC. Did you know she's the real Lucy in the Lion, the Witch and Wardrobe?

Liked
    255 times
    But you did say 'ever'. *is smug*

I taught Jill Freud how to use a PC. Did you know she's the real Lucy in the Lion, the Witch and Wardrobe?
    The word 'ever' is not used in my post .... the words I used are 'at all', which, as I stated earlier is a referral to the screen Hannay.

You will have to go back to pedant school if you carry on making those sort of silly mistakes.

I know nothing about the TLTWATW .... but I just noticed that it has the word 'twat' in it if you just use the initial letters of the title words.

Liked
    492 times
    I can carry on pedanting (that would have been an awesome film, set at one of the new universities with Sid James brought in as the new Vice-Chancellor) if you really want. There's been a radio adaptation as well.

Senior Member Country: UK EHV_Emmetts's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    What slightly annoys me about the 1978 version is that Robert Powell has a stupid 70's style bouffon. Why didn't he have a proper hair cut?

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm sure that the Donat version is probably technically the best, but for me it's the Kenneth More version every time. I think it's More himself - he always had a wonderfully laid-back, relaxed and natural way about him.

And if there's a scene in which he prods someone with his pipe, so much the better.

Senior Member Country: Europe Bernardo's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    The Thirty-Nine Steps began as a cheap thriller, but its appeal has lasted nearly a century. Now Hollywood is remaking it once more. Geoffrey Macnab reports

Friday January 16, 2004

The Guardian
    (I deleted the report due to its length)

DB7 or anyone. I have not seen any news of a remake, if it is like other recent remakes of British classic films, I hope I do not, but I would like to know if our resident eggheads have news on progress of the remake.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    DB7 or anyone. I have not seen any news of a remake, if it is like other recent remakes of British classic films, I hope I do not, but I would like to know if our resident eggheads have news on progress of the remake.
    It's been announced, that seems to be all.

According to the IMDb it's "sort of on the back burner."

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Last October, my mum and myself spent a week in London. We saw four theatre productions and by far and way the best - and the one which had the least spent on it in set design - was the 39 Steps at the Criterion in Piccadilly Circus.

With only four actors playing all the oparts, and an inventive and ingenious use of the barest minimum of props and sets, it was rollicking good fun.

Not long ago, I saw a bit of the Kenneth More version and the stage play seemed very close to it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast