Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: Great Britain mariocki's Avatar
    Liked
    32 times
    Picked up the two disc ITV DVD in Tescos today for �4 and it's got some nice special features on it with a 15 minute documentary featuring the production manager returning to Mapledurham and visiting some of the locations plus some contemporary on-location features as well as an interview with Tom Mankiewicz. Well worth the �4.

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    I think this was John Sturges' last film. His immense success and reputation suffered a bit of a hammering after this. It didn't fair well critically or at the box office. I think that was a very depressing era for cinema in the UK generally, all the cinemas were getting converted into bingo halls as I remember. I think Caine kind of knew he was on a sinking ship as it were on this movie, in the interviews he dryly points to the fact that it could be difficult to win the audience over to the idea of his "hero" when he is a German officer trying to kill Churchill! Comparrisons to Day of The Jackal are made, quite frankly a film in a different league. I did enjoy The Eagle Has Landed though, I think ITC always had an eye on the American market, I guess you had to to be commercially viable, hence Sturges directing, it is enjoyable to watch but difficult to totally identify with a hero figure which is unusual for a war film of this type.

Liked
    151 times
    Tom Cruise's next film, Valkyrie, will face similar obstacles as no doubt Stauffenberg will be the films hero despite iirc being a Panzer commander before losing an eye.

I quite enjoyed The Eagle has Landed as an actioner, and Sturgess made a valiant attempt to make Caine's character honourable and sympathetic.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Tom Cruise's next film, Valkyrie, will face similar obstacles as no doubt Stauffenberg will be the films hero despite iirc being a Panzer commander before losing an eye.

I quite enjoyed The Eagle has Landed as an actioner, and Sturgess made a valiant attempt to make Caine's character honourable and sympathetic.
    I have seen a German TV version of the events surrounding Stauffenberg's assassination attempt. It is a pretty good film and does not portray Stauffenberg as a cinematic 'hero', but as a courageous yet frightened and disillusioned man, striving to try and help get his country out of the mess Hitler has put them in.

Stauffenberg (2004) (TV)

I somehow feel that the Cruise version will introduce some absurdly 'heroic' deeds for Cruise to perform which may indeed scupper its box office chances. It will be interesting to see how they handle this difficult issue, although any negative thoughts that the public may have about Stauffenberg being portrayed 'heroically', could be alleviated by the fact that he is actually trying to kill Hitler.

I enjoyed The Eagle Has Landed on the same level as DB7, as a good old fashioned action movie. I think the fact that we knew Caine's mission was going to fail, in the same way that we The Jackal wasn't going to kill De Gaulle, made us all feel more comfortable in 'cheering on' the enemy.

Bats.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I am sure the voice of 'Arthur' in this film is dubbed by a different actor, can anyone confirm?

He is the bully who in the village whom Donald Sutherland beats the bejesus out of and then Jenny Agutter promptly dispatches with a shotgun.

I think the new version of this film is excellent.

Liked
    0 times
    Mapledurham where the film was shot is mainly a private estate and many of the cottages can be rented ,my brother stayed in the Jean Marsh place shortly after filming ,bits of scenery were still in evidence...

Liked
    0 times
    I am sure the voice of 'Arthur' in this film is dubbed by a different actor, can anyone confirm?

He is the bully who in the village whom Donald Sutherland beats the bejesus out of and then Jenny Agutter promptly dispatches with a shotgun.

I think the new version of this film is excellent.
    The actor playing Arthur is stuntman Terry Plumber his voice is dubbed by Brian Blessed.

Liked
    0 times
    God, yeah, I knew I knew that voice, Blessed was quite restrained back then, lol.

Senior Member Country: England harryfielder's Avatar
    Liked
    51 times
    THE EAGLE HAS LANDED�Director John Sturges�

Big cast Inc. Michael Caine, Donald Sutherland, Robert Duvall�

Central Casting ask me if I could ride a motor bike and as I�d had a Scooter as a teenager I said �� Yeah of course I can��.

Well after riding a 40s army bike that weighed a ton for two days on THE EAGLE I made sure that was my last riding job.

I was part of a column leading Sir Winston Churchill to a country house for an important meeting in 1943�

We were driving down country lanes that were full of potholes and lumps and bumps and were told �� More speed ��

Well I never fell off but I was talking in a high voice for a couple of weeks�

Aitch,

Liked
    0 times
    I think The Eagle Has Landed was one of the first films to portray Germans in a sympathetic light and this aspect alone makes it really interesting. The brilliant Michael Caine turns in a great performance as Kurt Steiner (even though he doesn't attempt a German accent - perhaps wisely) and he is aptly supported by a very able cast including Donald Sutherland, Robert Duvall, Anthony Quayle and Donald Pleasance.

I love the way the film develops over time as we get to know several of the main characters (I would have really liked to get to know some of the other paratroopers better though - most of them are just bit parts and they form the bulk of the strike force) and the final battle in Norfolk is a joy to behold for its masterful execution - even though most of the Germans get wiped out too quickly and the final confrontation is particularly nail-biting.

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    36 times
    TEHL gets a couple of airings this weekend on Bravo.

I think it is best to try to watch this in conjunction with Went The Day Well to compare and contrast changing attitudes in the 30 years since the war ended.

Of course, the great thing about TEHL is that one can watch it and feel some sympathy for the German invaders whilst knowing what the outcome must be.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    I think The Eagle Has Landed was one of the first films to portray Germans in a sympathetic light ...
    Apart from some of the wartime films of Powell & Pressburger like 49th Parallel (1941), The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943) and some of their pos-war films like The Battle of the River Plate (1956) and Ill Met By Moonlight (1957)

But you're right, there aren't all that many that showed Germans in a sympathetic light, or even showed any understanding of their motives, in films made during or set in WWII (or WWI). There are even fewer that showed any anti-Nazi or good German characters like Theo in Colonel Blimp

Steve

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Apart from some of the wartime films of Powell & Pressburger like 49th Parallel (1941), The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943) and some of their pos-war films like The Battle of the River Plate (1956) and Ill Met By Moonlight (1957)

But you're right, there aren't all that many that showed Germans in a sympathetic light, or even showed any understanding of their motives, in films made during or set in WWII (or WWI). There are even fewer that showed any anti-Nazi or good German characters like Theo in Colonel Blimp

Steve
    Not British ... but The Young Lions (1958) has Brando portraying a 'good' German.

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    Hardy Kruger in 'The One Who Got Away' anyone??

Liked
    36 times
    Hardy Kruger in 'The One Who Got Away' anyone??
    Hardy Kruger had the advantage of playing the "underdog" and not, from what I remember, actually harming anyone.

Liked
    1 times
    Hardy Kruger had the advantage of playing the "underdog" and not, from what I remember, actually harming anyone.
    The One Who Got Away was one of the first films I recorded off the box. Excellent film and Hardy was very good.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Although he, or rather his character was still very pro German military even if not actually pro-Nazi. But as you say, he was portrayed in a quite sympathetic light in the film. Still quite unusual in any film, let alone in one from 1957

Steve

Liked
    36 times
    Although he, or rather his character was still very pro German military even if not actually pro-Nazi. But as you say, he was portrayed in a quite sympathetic light in the film. Still quite unusual in any film, let alone in one from 1957

Steve
    That's true. I was going to add that he had an arrogant streak but still came over as reasonably likeable. I suppose that in 1957 it was still close enough to the war that a German had to be given some characteristics so that a British audience didn't completely identify with him.

GRAEME
    Saw this movie for the very first time today (I know, I mean, what have I been doing... ) and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I always avoided it on its rep as one of the worst big budget war flicks. But no - that title still goes hands down to Escape From Athena!

I did think the ending rather let it down. What exactly is Devlin doing wandering about? Has he gone back for Jenny? And is that the German E-Boat he sees beached in the sand-bank - a very bad painted job shown only briefly?

Anybody remember it?

I know the plot outcomes differ from the book - but does anyone else find Jenny's devotion to Devlin rather bizarre? They haven't even had it off yet and she kills and covers up for him!

Senior Member Country: Germany Wolfgang's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    Six years too late but definitely Man Who Fell to Earth. I really like this film, but mainly because I love its cast, but you have to admit it is slightly crap!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast