Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    36 times
    Saw this movie for the very first time today (I know, I mean, what have I been doing... ) and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I always avoided it on its rep as one of the worst big budget war flicks.
    I'm really surprised to hear that it is reputed to be one of the worst big budget war film - I've always thought it was a pretty decent film [even without Herself] and despite the somewhat comical Oirish accent.

Of course, it's major problem is that once we know what the plot is, we also know the inevitable outcome - won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't actually seen it.

Watched it again in the last week or so in tandem with Went the Day Well?

But no - that title still goes hands down to Escape From Athena!
    Now that was a bit of a letdown!

I did think the ending rather let it down. What exactly is Devlin doing wandering about? Has he gone back for Jenny? And is that the German E-Boat he sees beached in the sand-bank - a very bad painted job shown only briefly?

Anybody remember it?

I know the plot outcomes differ from the book - but does anyone else find Jenny's devotion to Devlin rather bizarre? They haven't even had it off yet and she kills and covers up for him!
    I did find Molly's devotion to Devlin, based on barely 48 hours to be bizarre - he was almost old enough to be her father and, though she may have seen him as somewhat more lively than Arthur, she also had an American army base in the vicinity and one would have thought that would have been even more exciting for a teenage girl. I also found it rather unpleasant that she could appear prepared to give up everything for a Nazi spy about whom she knew virtually nothing - except that he was a spy.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    I like The Eagle Has Landed .... John Sturges was past his best when he directed it but it's still a pretty decent adventure/spy/war film. Larry Hagman is good fun as a dopey US office and the action scenes are well done. A great film to wallow in front of on a wet rainy afternoon.

GRAEME
    I did find Molly's devotion to Devlin, based on barely 48 hours to be bizarre - he was almost old enough to be her father and, though she may have seen him as somewhat more lively than Arthur, she also had an American army base in the vicinity and one would have thought that would have been even more exciting for a teenage girl. I also found it rather unpleasant that she could appear prepared to give up everything for a Nazi spy about whom she knew virtually nothing - except that he was a spy.
    Quite. I believe in the book Devlin saves her from being raped and their relationship is a bit more protracted. Having her fall straight for his twinkling charms and kill for him despite knowing him to be a Nazi spy, is rather a bizarre change to make.

I was hoping all along that he'd turn out to be a British double agent. The fact that he isn't and manages to walk away at the end rather than be brought to justice is one of the main things that marks this out as a 70s film in contrast to earlier WWII blockbusters.

Senior Member Country: England harryfielder's Avatar
    Liked
    51 times
    The long hot summer of 76.....(mind the bumps)

Aitch,

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    Enjoyable film but Hagman's character spoils it for me, not his fault, just the way it was written.

I remember the beached boat at the end. I think it is some sort of law that every film has to have at least one really bad back-projection (I know this is a matte). Maybe it's in the SFX Union rules or something ?

Worst big budget war film, Escape to Victory

The scene at the start were Caine saves the little girl (briefly) always reminds me of another war film were stolen gold is being loaded on a train and someone drops a box. Anyone know what it is ?

Liked
    36 times
    Quite. I believe in the book Devlin saves her from being raped and their relationship is a bit more protracted. Having her fall straight for his twinkling charms and kill for him despite knowing him to be a Nazi spy, is rather a bizarre change to make.
    At least, if he did try to save her it would offer some explanation for what is otherwise most unusual behaviour. I had been thinking that she'd risk the hangman's noose twice but reading the Anthony Horowitz thread it seems she might have got away with it - the killing of Arthur could have been claimed as defending her honour and if Devlin was never caught, her part in helping him might never have been discovered

I have it and the sequel on order from my library.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Hi everyone, i wish to purchase this film but unsure which copy..........there's one 'special edition' released in 2004 which has Michael Caine and Robert Duvall in Nazi Officer uniform on the front cover with the film title in red, and there's another special edition released in 2007 with Michael Caine in combat uniform with the film title in silver, I've been reading customer reviews for both on Amazon and some are saying one version is cut and others that it's not for both editions which has left me more confused than ever!

I'd like as many 'extra scenes' as possible as i hate cuts, any recommendations as to the best buy please?

Banned Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    Hi everyone, i wish to purchase this film but unsure which copy..........there's one 'special edition' released in 2004 which has Michael Caine and Robert Duvall in Nazi Officer uniform on the front cover with the film title in red, and there's another special edition released in 2007 with Michael Caine in combat uniform with the film title in silver, I've been reading customer reviews for both on Amazon and some are saying one version is cut and others that it's not for both editions which has left me more confused than ever!

I'd like as many 'extra scenes' as possible as i hate cuts, any recommendations as to the best buy please?
    The silver one you mentioned has a Making of with additional documentary footage.

The Red one is the one I have and I am happy with it,the 2 disc offers both the original theatrical cut and the extended version of the film.

The 2 disc Special Edition especially at such a cheap price too is the way go Mark.

Banned Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    Mark,The cuts that were mentioned on that Amzon site were not BBFC cuts but were studio cuts to bring the running time down to an acceptable level for the cinema showing.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    These two Austin Seven's were the ones used in the film, they are now on display at Bletchley Park.........

Liked
    36 times
    At least, if he did try to save her it would offer some explanation for what is otherwise most unusual behaviour. I had been thinking that she'd risk the hangman's noose twice but reading the Anthony Horowitz thread it seems she might have got away with it - the killing of Arthur could have been claimed as defending her honour and if Devlin was never caught, her part in helping him might never have been discovered

I have it and the sequel on order from my library.
    Marky's photos of the two Austin 7s reminded me that I'd ordered the novel to read and compare with the film.

I enjoyed the book more than I'd really expected to and it was clear that the screenplay had been changed at a number of points. Initially, I found Devlin a very unattractive and hard character but by the end I had a grudging respect for him - I never had any for him in the film. It was easy to understand the reasons why Molly was attracted to him in the novel, far more so than in the film.

A recommended read - and the sequel!

Liked
    36 times
    Thoroughly enjoyed The Eagle Has Landed yet again - and not just for the lovely Jenny. Michael Caine has a couple of superb lines that it's worth watching for alone.

Of course, since one can reasonably assume that most people are aware of the outcome of WWII, it is obvious that the original objective will fail but there are some nice twists.

Some things that don't seem quite right in the film are made clearer by reading the book, which differs in outcome and is worth a read - as is the sequel. It's a shame the sequel wasn't turned into a film.

For anyone who hasn't read the novels, if you enjoy the film, they're well worth getting out - of your local library while it is still open!

Senior Member Country: England phil's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Caught the last half hour and have'nt seen the film for ages, did I miss something earlier with Donald Sutherland and the dogs? He seemed to hypnotise them!

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Caught the last half hour and have'nt seen the film for ages, did I miss something earlier with Donald Sutherland and the dogs? He seemed to hypnotise them!
    Yes, he did that earlier on in the film, by whistling. When the Americans sent the dogs into his cottage, barking fiercely, we hear the same whistle and then, when the Americans go in themselves, Devlin has slipped out the back, taking the dogs with him. At the end of the film, we see him again, on the cliff top with the dogs fully under his control

Steve

Senior Member Country: England phil's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Yes, he did that earlier on in the film, by whistling. When the Americans sent the dogs into his cottage, barking fiercely, we hear the same whistle and then, when the Americans go in themselves, Devlin has slipped out the back, taking the dogs with him. At the end of the film, we see him again, on the cliff top with the dogs fully under his control

Steve
    Thanks Steve. Donald Sutherland must have liked the role, Eye of the Needle is quite similar.

Liked
    36 times
    No surprise as to what I'll be watching this evening - BBC2 this afternoon. Set to record again as I'm working day

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    If you like The Eagle Has Landed, check out Eagles Over London ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0kOopFuTiA&NR=1

Junior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    0 times
    Hilariously, this film was my teenage introduction to Jung...!
    I had such a crush on World War 2, but most films about it were older and so you only saw them on tv, or blockbuster, which rather bored me, so this was the one I'd waited for. I was about 15 at the time and I'd been at boarding school for over a year, and this was the first year we could go out every weekend if we wanted to, so I headed for the cinema whenever I could (we had a drive in where I grew up, so movies DURING THE DAY... the thrill!!) I saw 'The Eagle has landed' 9 times in 2 weeks and took a notebook after the first viewing to try and write out the script...
    YES, I was that much of a dag!
    I can still hear Larry Hagman 'Action this day - that's Churchill's personal motto' 'this time next year, pigeon's gonna be crappin' on statues of you all over the state of Nebraska'; or later, spluttering 'It's that bitch Grey's house' over poor misguided Jean Marsh.
    I stil have a fondness for it...

GRAEME
    Quote Originally Posted by batman View Post
    If you like The Eagle Has Landed, check out Eagles Over London ....
    Oh! That looks great! Thanks Quent.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    9 times
    Mentioning 'Eagles Over London' brings to mind probably one of the worst WW2 films I've ever seen, although 'big budget' would probably be pushing it. 'From Hell to Victory' (1979)From Hell to Victory (1979) - IMDb is one of those Italian made films, with an 'international cast'. This is shorthand for people who were once big stars but now are happy to be in almost anything legal for the money. The story is fairly run of the mill, but what sets it apart is the dreadful effects and the total lack of authenticity. This is not totally surprising, since the makers took many of the main sequences from 'Eagles Over London'.

A quick look at You Tube for 'Eagles' gives you a flavour of the other film. Really bad models which supposed to be Me 109's, but look more like Hurricanes - yes (and which switch from day to night and back again with no explaination). Dunkirk with strange bazooka like weapons and Sten guns - yes. The Luftwaffe possibly flying Spitfires - looks like it. Add a dull script, phoned in acting and you've got it. However, I think the later film got ecen more mixed up, because I'm fairly sure that the Jean Pierre Cassel is fighting against the Luftwaffe in what appears to be Me 109's painted as Spitfires. They are probably Spanish machines from BoB, but I suspect that when your working on a film this rubbish, who cared?

As for The Eagle Has landed? Love it - not perfect, but not a bad effort at all, and Sturges handles it like the pro he was. The Special Edition has a different start (not the Gran Sassio narration), and I'm fairly sure that the HQ Hitler/Himmler are in was filmed at the St. Pancras Hotel (I had a look around it before renovation). I'm also fairly sure that the 'E boat' (of course its not - its a former british MTB captured by the Germans) is not filmed against a backdrop.

The score is very good (and was a nightmare to get hold of before the CD came out). I can understand why they had to cut out so much of the book, but the British SS officer would have been interesting.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast