Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold
    True, though the same could also be said for Wally Patch; which begs the question; a cut sequence where they were talking, if the id is correct? I'll look at my copy tomorrow for a better view at the other chap.
    They are seen from a distance, beyond where Conductor 71 is waiting, as we slowly zoom in to him. The white "SP" helmet is quite easy to see. They wander up to and past the camera, going behind us. They look around but they don't seem to be talking to each other or to anyone else. Not in any of the scenes that made it through the final cut

Steve

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Welcome back, Hugh

I hope that is Leslie Dwyer (another Public Eye veteran, and indeed Armchair Theatre), always liked him. What a credit that would be to add to his filmography! It seems to make sense, bearing in mind some of his other early credits, such as 'Soldier in Cafe' in I See A Dark Stranger. The man behind Wally Patch looks a bit like Reginald Marsh. I know he always looked middle-aged but that would be ridiculous!

This is one of my favourite moments ... from one of my Favourite British Films:

"That's it!"

"It's the only real bit of evidence we have":

A couple of along-the-way captures from when I was searching for Michael Powell's dogs for 'Stars and Animals'

Senior Member Country: UK charliekane's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernardo
    Everything has been said but one. Roger Livesy had a voice to die for, what a gift and how he used it!

At 13 I was first struck by his talent in 1953 when he had a part in the TV coverage of the Coronation and have made a point of catching all his work on celluloid since.
    Believe it or not, when Micky Powell wanted to feature Roger in The Phantom Light, Michael Balcon rejected him because..... he didn't like his voice !!! The part went to Ian Hunter instead,and Roger didn't really get a decent role until Colonel Blimp (probably worth waiting for, though).

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cornershop15
    Welcome back, Hugh

I hope that is Leslie Dwyer (another Public Eye veteran, and indeed Armchair Theatre), always liked him. What a credit that would be to add to his filmography! It seems to make sense, bearing in mind some of his other early credits, such as 'Soldier in Cafe' in I See A Dark Stranger. The man behind Wally Patch looks a bit like Reginald Marsh. I know he always looked middle-aged but that would be ridiculous!
    Not all of them are actors. A lot of people used as extras in that and the other P&P films made during the war are actually members of the crew or just people dragged in off the street. In 1945, when they made AMOLAD, a lot of British actors were still serving in the armed forces or were touring parts foreign, entertaining the troops.

This is one of my favourite moments ... from one of my Favourite British Films:

"That's it!"

"It's the only real bit of evidence we have":

A couple of along-the-way captures from when I was searching for Michael Powell's dogs for 'Stars and Animals'
    That "tear on the rose" is the image I use on the reverse of my PaPAS cards that I hand out at the slightest provocation. It's an easily recognised and well loved image - by those that know the films

Steve

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    In many of my internet and public library searches for my transport community I frequently trap in whichever photograph I otherwise discover, posters or cinema billboards. A few recently have included Powell and Pressburger posters caught in the year of their 1940's and 1950's releases displayed in bus stations etc.

Am I being too geeky in asking if anyone wants the links to them?

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick C
    In many of my internet and public library searches for my transport community I frequently trap in whichever photograph I otherwise discover, posters or cinema billboards. A few recently have included Powell and Pressburger posters caught in the year of their 1940's and 1950's releases displayed in bus stations etc.

I don't think that one can ever be too geeky when it comes to The Masters, Powell & Pressburger

Have you seen the AMOLAD bus station at Walsall?

Steve

Liked
    23 times
    One of the photos actually comes from a Walsall picture house only a mile away from what would have been the new bus station.

Senior Member Country: Moldova Midwich cuckoo's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    My girlfriend lives in Halesowen and has been telling me I simply must see the bus station at Walsall because it is such a fascinating building. Now I know it has such a significant added dimension of interest for me, I will definitely be checking it out.

Liked
    418 times

I don't think that one can ever be too geeky when it comes to The Masters, Powell & Pressburger

Steve
    I think you know that you're being geeky, or obsessed, when you go a few hundred miles out of your way to visit an empty beach and a set of sand dunes just because they are the ones where Peter Carter (David Niven) was washed ashore and saw the dog and then the naked goat herd

I walked up and down the beach a few times, taking various photos of the dunes

and the headland to try to get the correct distance and angles worked out

And when I thought I had it worked out, even allowing for the way sand dunes shift over the intervening 60 years, and I was just about to go back home, what should I see but a black Labrador running towards me

"Oh, I'd always hoped there would be dogs"

Sometimes, unexpected things happen that makes it all seem so worthwhile

Steve

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook
    I think you know that you're being geeky, or obsessed, when you go a few hundred miles out of your way to visit an empty beach and a set of sand dunes just because they are the ones where Peter Carter (David Niven) was washed ashore and saw the dog and then the naked goat herd
    I wonder if "obsessed" fans visit the sand dunes where a naked Abigail Clayton and Paul Thomas made love in Seven Into Snowy? An interesting thought! The only Film or TV location I've ever visited was 17 Glazbury Road in Kensington, where Avril, Kate and Victoria shared a flat in Take Three Girls.

I captured these a couple of weeks ago - more ATWs from that 'Stars and Animals' assignment:

The first meeting at the beach (without the naked goat herd, mercifully, nor the dog ... alas)

This moment, where June and Peter are given their blessing by The Judge, matches the DVD cover:

The final image:

A typical example of 'Actors Creating Magic ... Then Leaving It All Behind' (EDIT - although it seems

they were reunited in a TV production of The Petrified Forest (1952). Does anyone know about this?)

Liked
    23 times

Have you seen the AMOLAD bus station at Walsall?

Steve
    Here's your first poster. Its photo number 7 on this web-page:-

BUSES.

The Odeon which is showing it would I expect be the Odeon, Halifax, W.Yorkshire.

Liked
    418 times
    Here's your first poster. Its photo number 7 on this web-page:-

BUSES.

The Odeon which is showing it would I expect be the Odeon, Halifax, W.Yorkshire.
    Thanks for that Rick. Shame it's only half the poster and a shame it's not one of the ones with any pictures on them. But it's still of interest

Steve

Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    86 times
    That was a nice VHS cover, wasn't it Steve? I'm not sure if I've still got it, but I did take a scan of it.

Nick

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Dando
    That was a nice VHS cover, wasn't it Steve? I'm not sure if I've still got it, but I did take a scan of it.

Nick
    It's taken from the trade ad which is actually more artistic than many of the commercial posters

Steve

Liked
    23 times
    Thanks for that Rick. Shame it's only half the poster and a shame it's not one of the ones with any pictures on them. But it's still of interest

Steve
    You may already have a photo of the West End cinema with the neon lighting advertising AMOLAD in 1946?

Liked
    418 times
    You may already have a photo of the West End cinema with the neon lighting advertising AMOLAD in 1946?
    Or I may not. I don't think I have

Steve

Senior Member Country: England Maurice's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times

Although if anyone can ever find out who that boy was...

Nobody knows. He's not listed in the cast, nor in any of the papers lodged at the BFI library about the film, nor in Powell's private papers. It's a mystery

Steve
    On Wednesday, Daily Telegraph columnist, Rowan Pelling, bemoaned the absence of naked children on Holkham beach, Norfolk - apart from her own toddler and his six-year-old brother.

Her column was headed: 'The innocent joy of a child running naked on the beach'.

The following letter appeared in yesterday's edition - without the advantage of a screen capture. Any published reply would benefit from one of the goatherd's face as Carter dashes off.

HERD NOT SEEN

Rowan Pelling's defence of naked children on beaches (Comment, July 21) is a reminder of the film A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH (1946).

In scenes shot at Saunton Sands, Devon, Squadron Leader Carter (David Niven) escapes from a burning Lancaster and asks directions from a naked goatherd.

The scenes were deleted for the American release after pressure from the National League of Decency.

The young actor's identity remains a mystery.

Senior Member Country: England Maurice's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    Letter, today's Daily Telegraph

From Michael Kidwell, Bramhall, Cheshire:

THE NAKED GOATHERD

The identity of the naked goatherd in the 1946 Powell and Pressburger film A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH (Letters, July 23) is no mystery to those living in north Devon at the time.

I was evacuated to my birthplace in Braunton, and my closest friend at school was Eric Cawthorne. Aged about 10, he went to live in the hamlet of Pickwell.

The stars filming locally, David Niven and Kim Hunter, together with the producer, were staying at Pickwell Manor.

They needed a young boy, and Eric was right on their doorstep, and ideal for the part, with an authentic local accent.

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice
    Letter, today's Daily Telegraph

From Michael Kidwell, Bramhall, Cheshire:

THE NAKED GOATHERD

The identity of the naked goatherd in the 1946 Powell and Pressburger film A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH (Letters, July 23) is no mystery to those living in north Devon at the time.

I was evacuated to my birthplace in Braunton, and my closest friend at school was Eric Cawthorne. Aged about 10, he went to live in the hamlet of Pickwell.

The stars filming locally, David Niven and Kim Hunter, together with the producer, were staying at Pickwell Manor.

They needed a young boy, and Eric was right on their doorstep, and ideal for the part, with an authentic local accent.
    Yes, good innit

It might mean the end to a mystery that's been puzzling a lot of people for a long time.

I've already started checking to see if it's correct and if any proof can be found

Steve

Member Country: United States
    Liked
    1 times
    Always been my favorite film since childhood. Always thought it was called Stairway to Heaven, got a little put out when I discovered my beloved film was actually called something else (have since got over it). Its hard not to agree with everyone's perspective on this film, all the above posts, because the film seems to leave every person with something different to carry away from it, and nobody's wrong. Maybe that's what makes it so special. I'm a professional set designer now I think in part because I sat in the dark as a little child and watched a beautiful vision of what heaven looks like from this film and its great production designer. That and Marius Goring totally freaking me out and that creepy piano music that still makes my hair stand on end.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast