Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    0 times
    I have never seen this film before,but the other night,I think it was Turner Classics,it was shown on the telly,in its colourized version. I only watch a few minutes of it,it looked as it had been remastered.

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ron7885
    I have never seen this film before,but the other night,I think it was Turner Classics,it was shown on the telly,in its colourized version. I only watch a few minutes of it,it looked as it had been remastered.
    It's not colouriized, Ron, that's state-of-the-art 1940's Three-strip technicolor....

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ron7885'

Although it's sometimes hard to tell on TCM (US or CA) because they have to use that NTSC (Never The Same Color) system

Ron, try and see it projected in 35mm. The colour will be a revelation.

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Our Criterion DVD (Region 1 NTSC) is beautifully restored in most ways. The sound is very clear, crisp and free of hiss; and the video is always sharp, but ...

.. there are a very few disconcerting colour shifts. Most of the interiors are quite stable, but some of the exterior scenes have jumps in tone from magenta to yellow. Perhaps this is due to the various sources that made up the full-length restoration.

I haven't had the privilege to see the Carlton DVD, and I wonder how it appears to British viewers?

Pardon this minor quibble. BLIMP is a masterpiece that I'd happily enjoy on a 12" Romanian TV.

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Keechelus
    Our Criterion DVD (Region 1 NTSC) is beautifully restored in most ways. The sound is very clear, crisp and free of hiss; and the video is always sharp, but ...

.. there are a very few disconcerting colour shifts. Most of the interiors are quite stable, but some of the exterior scenes have jumps in tone from magenta to yellow. Perhaps this is due to the various sources that made up the full-length restoration.

I haven't had the privilege to see the Carlton DVD, and I wonder how it appears to British viewers?

Pardon this minor quibble. BLIMP is a masterpiece that I'd happily enjoy on a 12" Romanian TV.
    If you can point to an exact scene where you see this magenta to yellow jump then we can check on our Carlton DVDs, videos, laserdisks and other copies

Steve

Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Keechelus

For my eyes the transfer on the Criterion DVD (taken from their Laserdisc edition I assume) is too pink throughout....while the transfer on the Carlton disc is far better. What you do get on the Criterion is the commentary.....so what's a guy to do??? Get both.

This will show you the difference...

The Life and Dearth of Colonel Blimp

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the link to DVD Beaver - a site I know well, but hadn't thought of for help in this case.

I don't need an excuse to re-watch BLIMP, but the Beaver presentation has saved me the task of compiling screen shots.

Yes, why not have both? Amazon UK has the Carlton DVD for �6.48, so I'll probably add it to my next order from blighty.

Liked
    144 times
    Deborah Kerr (say ..aar in french) is still dead now, may she have lots of fun wherever she is, but she can't miss it with such partners as : Mitchum, Livesey,Lancaster, Granger, Farrar...etc

P.S/TOP GOSSIP: Mickee Powell was very much in love with her, as he seems to say in -M.P, "Une Vie dans le Cin�ma"....

Liked
    144 times
    Something makes me laugh very much in -Blimp- is after the duel(....and the wonderful shot indeed over the house, the night and the snow), when Candy exprime him self only by using his hands.

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by moonfleet
    Deborah Kerr (say ..aar in french) is still dead now, may she have lots of fun wherever she is, but she can't miss it with such partners as : Mitchum, Livesey,Lancaster, Granger, Farrar...etc

P.S/TOP GOSSIP: Mickee Powell was very much in love with her, as he seems to say in -M.P, "Une Vie dans le Cin�ma"....
    They were in love with each other - and having an affair. Until Deborah got her offer to move to Hollywood.

And remember that when they made Black Narcissus, that was with Powell's ex-mistress (Deborah Kerr) and his current mistress (Kathleen Byron). Kathleen told us that Deborah gave her some good advice on how to deal with Powell.

Micky Powell wanted Kathleen's last scene with Mr Dean to be played as if she was totally insane. Kathleen wanted to play it more restrained reasoning that Sister Ruth didn't think she was insane. She thought it was everyone else who was acting strangely.

Deborah advised Kathleen to say "Yes, Micky. Good idea Micky." And then do it the way she wanted to.

When he saw it, Micky said "It wasn't what I wanted, but it's very good." So he left it like that in the final cut.

Poor old Micky, he never stood a chance with those two conspiring against him

Steve

Liked
    418 times
    Something makes me laugh very much in -Blimp- is after the duel(....and the wonderful shot indeed over the house, the night and the snow), when Candy exprime him self only by using his hands.

Steve

Liked
    144 times
    .....is it really Roger Livesey under the bandages ??

One can ask...

Liked
    7 times
    It is indeed.......

Liked
    144 times
    ......when the flash back started, young C.Candy is born again...and after whistling, he recognize a fellow friend, and open his towel because he is "joyfull", and met the other completly nude ! Very laughing.

Liked
    418 times
    ......when the flash back started, young C.Candy is born again...and after whistling, he recognize a fellow friend, and open his towel because he is "joyfull", and met the other completly nude ! Very laughing.
    They threw their arms open wide, but they kept their towels closed

Steve

Liked
    144 times
    Are you sure?

Liked
    418 times
    Are you sure?
    Well, you don't know that he's nude. You never see anything.

Hoppy keeps his towelling robe (& turban) on.

Clive has his back to you when he comes out of the pool and we only see him from the waist up. The attendant wraps him in a big towel (or towels), we don't see the details of how it/they are worn.

When they meet, Hoppy throws his arms open, but keeps his robe closed.

Clive throws his arms open and with it the towel that covered the upper part of his body. But as he's got his back to us again we don't see if there was another towel, or another part of the same towel, or anything like trunks, covering the lower part of his body. You certainly never see that he's completely nude.

But if it makes you laugh, you should continue to think that he is

Steve

Liked
    144 times
    So, it's a possibility ..... and a funny one for me .

M.

Liked
    418 times
    When I told them about Clive "flashing", someone on the P&P list commented:

Is that when Hoppy exclaims "Why, they're both there? They told me you lost one at....????"

"Can't have, old boy, I'd have known about it"

I always assumed they were referring to his legs; maybe not then....

Steve

Liked
    144 times
    O.K, there is the friendship between the so told "ennemies", but the main thing in this film, for me, are the love stories.....

Clive Candy and Edith Hunter are in love, no doubt, we know their growing relationship, but not the one between she and Kretschmar-Schuldorff(and I have no grandchildrens!).Not to declare he(Candy) loves her in time (adding that she sent him lots of signals !), so he lost her and she goes with the other one....

Candy didn't realize at the time, but after, it's too late. And he spends his lifetime hunting (all animals of the creation !) and mainly looking for her.

Deborah Kerr and Roger Livesey are so well matched....it's a crime !

But this is the way storie goes...

Moon.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast