Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    4 times
    I think More's handsome house in the film was played by Studley Priory, near Horton-cum-Studley, in Oxfordshire. It was then a hotel but is now a private house. The river frontage was along the Beaulieu River, near Buckler's Hard, in Hampshire.

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Windthrop
    Heston made the film after playing the part on stage to mixed reviews (I saw him at Newcastle and thought him very good) because he replaced Tony Britton in a production that originated at Chichester.

The best thing about the Heston version is the it restores the part of the 'common man' played by Leo McKern in the original production. Roy Kinnear was superb on stage and the TV film in the part. It was Kinnear's last stage part and in tribute the Theatre Royal Newcastle named their bar after him.
    I recall reading a newspaper report at the time that Heston's dresser was moaning that Chuck insisted on wearing his More wig on top of his regular syrup.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianTurner
    I think More's handsome house in the film was played by Studley Priory, near Horton-cum-Studley, in Oxfordshire. It was then a hotel but is now a private house. The river frontage was along the Beaulieu River, near Buckler's Hard, in Hampshire.
    That rings a bell. I know my father and his colleagues didn't have far to travel from Bicester, where we lived at the time.

Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    A Man for All Seasons (UK, 1966)

Alex likes this one.......

Reel history | A Man for All Seasons: less piety would have been More | Film | guardian.co.uk

Senior Member Country: Scotland narabdela's Avatar
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by julian_craster

Alex likes this one.......

Like it or not, Alex is beginning to get up my nose.

Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times
    Loved John Hurt as Richard Rich

xx

GRAEME
    The main problem with the film, and with the play (which I do think is a masterpiece), is that it makes More into too much of a saint (yeah I know he is one!).

His posturing as a man of priciple and reason would be less palatable against the background of his murderous persecution of protestant heretics, especially the movement for the English Bible.

Bolt doesn't allude to this because he doesn't want to muddy the waters of his pure dramatic conflict - and it is excellent drama, less so as history.

More was a religious zealot and that explains much of his refusal to conform to the pragmatic line expected by the court, it was not really about integrity. He personally authorised torture and execution by burning for those he dismissed as "heretics".

That would have made him a less instantly attractive character - but might have made for an even more morally challenging plot.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAEME
    The main problem with the film, and with the play (which I do think is a masterpiece), is that it makes More into too much of a saint (yeah I know he is one!).

His posturing as a man of priciple and reason would be less palatable against the background of his murderous persecution of protestant heretics, especially the movement for the English Bible.

Bolt doesn't allude to this because he doesn't want to muddy the waters of his pure dramatic conflict - and it is excellent drama, less so as history.

More was a religious zealot and that explains much of his refusal to conform to the pragmatic line expected by the court, it was not really about integrity. He personally authorised torture and execution by burning for those he dismissed as "heretics".

That would have made him a less instantly attractive character - but might have made for an even more morally challenging plot.
    This rather less attractive side to his character was dealt with very well in the first series of The Tudors in which he was superbly played by Jeremy Northam.

Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    One of my all time favs. Blue Ray anyone?

Member Country: England
    Liked
    2 times
    i didn't see it until after it had been granted all those awards - and i went to see it thinking " no film is that good, there has to be something wrong with it" and i could find nothing

the cinematography, the atmospheric river thames, the beautiful and evocative score, and superlative acting from the 2 major protaganists, the side-plots, and the truthful recording of history, the marvellous costumes, the great "contemporaneous" lighting, the shivers you felt in the prison scenes, the familial rows between Moore his wife and daughter, (still true today) - all these things make this one of the truly great British films of all time....

Liked
    0 times
    I saw this when I was rather young, before I knew much of the setting or the history. Sir Thomas became my image of personal strength and willingness to defend a cause in a nonviolent way. Doesn't seem like a movie for children, but I was completely drawn in!

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick C' date='21 October 2009 - 11:57 AM' timestamp='1256144257' post='341724

I have the original brochure to the film and also the double disc vinyl LP on RCA of the spoken-word soundtrack featuring the major scenes. Its a treasure.
    Ah! You were here first Rick.

I was just looking though my brochure and looked for this thread.

However I do not have the LP - with spoken words; I had not even heard of it. A treasure indeed.

Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by judgecerf' date='04 January 2010 - 12:50 PM' timestamp='1262627457' post='372414

I saw this when I was rather young, before I knew much of the setting or the history. Sir Thomas became my image of personal strength and willingness to defend a cause in a nonviolent way. Doesn't seem like a movie for children, but I was completely drawn in!
    That was precisely my own experience.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TimR

Ah! You were here first Rick.

I was just looking though my brochure and looked for this thread.

However I do not have the LP - with spoken words; I had not even heard of it. A treasure indeed.
    I had it right to hand, Tim. LOL

(Incidentally, bottom left a block advert for the type of roadshow presentation cinema this film slotted into, both in London and UK nationwide).

GRAEME
    Quote Originally Posted by judgecerf
    I saw this when I was rather young, before I knew much of the setting or the history. Sir Thomas became my image of personal strength and willingness to defend a cause in a nonviolent way.
    Quite. The character in the play/film that is.

In reality, there was nothing non-violent about burning people for publishing books. Odd people they choose to be saints.

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    "Man for All Seasons" was on TV a while back and I found myself wondering if Robert Bolt's play had been far more of an influence upon Patrick McGoohan and his Prisoner, than Franz Kafka ever was...

"I will not take the oath.

I will not tell you why I will not."

The final *court* scene felt like a mirror image of Fall-Out in some ways, but perhaps that was just the insidious characterisation by Leo McKern......

I recall *doing* this play to death at the time, in English Literature classes at my Catholic school, and becoming heartily sick and tired of it.......

I enjoyed seeing the movie again at this long remove.

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    I think that the strength of the acting in the 1966 film, particularly Paul Scofield, comes through when you watch the Charlton Heston version instead. That uses the same source material, Robert Bolt's play, almost word for word, but falls flat. Even Vanessa Redgrave as More's wife can't match Wendy Hiller. The 1966 film is understated and is all the better for it. A wonderful historical film.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    The Heston version is more faithful to the original and is basically a filmed version of the play for TV, which Heston had done on stage. It features the character/narrator The Common Man (wonderfully played by Roy Kinnear) who does not appear in the film. While not as good as the film (which is one of my favourites, especially Robert Shaw) it is worth a look for those who a haven't seen the play. Heston is pretty good as More IMHO.

Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick C

I had it right to hand, Tim. LOL

(Incidentally, bottom left a block advert for the type of roadshow presentation cinema this film slotted into, both in London and UK nationwide).
    More good memories.

I recall those advertisements from when A Man for All Seasons was reissued here in the 70s. I was too young - about six - when the original was released to see it in the theatre. That was true for many of the 60s roadshow historical films. But many of them were reissued and had a brief return roadshow engagament in few major cities before another wide release.

Of course now there is no need to wait, as even the most successful film is released on DVD. But it just isn't the same. There are still a few theatres that show the older films - but not many.

One of the most powerful and impressive experiences I have had a in a theatre was seeing the restored Lawrence of Arabia in the late 80s. That was stunning. I had not seen it before and I have not seen it since on the small screen. A film like that must be seen in a theatre.

Liked
    29 times
    It's more than time to give a much deserved assistance to this classic film's thread. I watched it again this week, and then had to watch it again the next day. I have long ago lost count as to the number of times I have seen it.

Magnificent British film making at its very best.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast