Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Brief Encounter

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    The Richard Burton/Sophia Loren version of Brief Encounter is just about to be released at a very reasonable price.

Amazon.co.uk: Brief Encounter [1974]: DVD: Richard Burton,Sophia Loren,Ann Firbank,Jack Hedley,John Le Mesurier,Rosemary Leach

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    In my humble opinion the Richard Burton version of 'Brief Encounter' comes nowhere near the origional version.

Its like comparing a Schoolboys Division with the Premier League.

The origional has all the class.

Dave.

Liked
    0 times
    I love this film . The ending where her ' friend' buts in ( although she doesn't mean to ) makes me sad . I also love Irene Handel as part of the dreadful musicians that play in the cafe !

Where I live , a station tearoom is called Brief Encounter - the seats are old railway ones & there are stills from the film on the walls . Thankfully , the service is not as surly as in the film !

Love the music too , which is strange as I'm not a one for classical music , but it suits the mood of the film perfectly .

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    Listen to the Rachmaninov piece,and you will hear All By Myself,Eric Carmen's hit.

Ta Ta

Marky B:)

Liked
    0 times
    Oddly enough , I hated that record

My husband dislikes the film & says it's a ' women's picture . '

Judging by the replies on here , it seems to appeal to both sexes ,with those who are not keen split fairly equally between the sexes .

I must confess to 'rationing' myself with this film - only watching it twice a year so that I don't get tired with watching it .

Laura is a slightly bored woman , but how could she leave her children & husband ? She knows she never would , but is flattered by the attention of the doctor . Fred is solid & dependable - possibly a bit staid , but none the worse for that .

As I'm new on here - I will ask a question that no doubt has been asked before .

What is the name of the film with Celia Johnson as the wife of Noel Coward ? He is a psychiarist who ends up having an affair with an old schoolfriend of his wife , then commits suicide by jumping from the building they live in . All involved are ' terribly restrained ' about it all - personally I'd have thumped old schoolfriend

Liked
    0 times
    WEll I still enjoy watching it periodically and still think it is very romantic. Have never really thought too much of their characters, I guess she did have a lot of time on her hands. Most women of her station in life seemed to have household help and just sort of like her. Not that every woman went and had an affair.

The scenes in the tearoom are wonderful with Joyce Carey behind the counter and Stanley Holloway as Albert the Porter .Love some of their dialogue

Did anyone notice the sign at the station. It was supposed to be down south and one of the signs was written Leeds and Hebden Bridge.

Noel Coward was a gifted writer

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    For any Australian lovers of this film it is scheduled to be shown on ABC Television early Friday morning, the 11th August at 4.30am.

Dave.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by caroline
    Oddly enough , I hated that record

My husband dislikes the film & says it's a ' women's picture . '

Judging by the replies on here , it seems to appeal to both sexes ,with those who are not keen split fairly equally between the sexes .

I must confess to 'rationing' myself with this film - only watching it twice a year so that I don't get tired with watching it .

Laura is a slightly bored woman , but how could she leave her children & husband ? She knows she never would , but is flattered by the attention of the doctor . Fred is solid & dependable - possibly a bit staid , but none the worse for that .

As I'm new on here - I will ask a question that no doubt has been asked before .

What is the name of the film with Celia Johnson as the wife of Noel Coward ? He is a psychiarist who ends up having an affair with an old schoolfriend of his wife , then commits suicide by jumping from the building they live in . All involved are ' terribly restrained ' about it all - personally I'd have thumped old schoolfriend

The Astonished Heart [1949]

Liked
    0 times
    I sure would like to see that movie again. Will have to keep my eyes open for it on TV over here

Liked
    0 times
    The Astonished Heart [1949]
    Thank you for that - I've only seen it once , quite recently

Member Country: UK Ealingfilmfan's Avatar
    Liked
    2 times
    Just for the record, (If you didn't already know), there is a permanent "Brief Encounter" exhibition with rare film stills at Carnforth railway station, and the famous large station clock has recently been renovated.........

Liked
    0 times
    hi, i have got my exam coming up soon and i need to know certain parts of the film which display passion and repression. Can anyone give me a few examples from the film that show passion or repression?

Thanks

Casio

Liked
    0 times
    Hi I have my A level exam coming up soon and one of the films im studying is Brief encounter, could someone give me some examples in the film where passion or repression is displayed in a scene.

Thanks

Casio

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    4 times
    Well, might I politely suggest that you watch it for yourself and decide which scenes represent what you are after?

rgds

Rob

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    Well, might I politely suggest that you watch it for yourself and decide which scenes represent what you are after?
    Well said sir!!

The whole bloomin' movie. It's a positive roller-coaster of clenched orifices and extremities......

Liked
    0 times
    I've watched it twice, taken down notes jus thought id come on here for a bit of extra help. Thanks anyways

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    4 times
    I'm not trying to be unhelpful, its just that - as Moor Larkin says - the entire film is a long series of repressed emotions. If you seen it, you'll have enough evidence I would have thought.

Best of luck with the exams

rgds

Rob

Senior Member Country: Great Britain vaggmk1938's Avatar
    Liked
    12 times

rgds

Rob
    Poor Casio, but what can you expect from a man with that avatar!?

Repression--how about Celia Johnson's obivious embarassment when going to the friend's flat for an assignation? Also her very obvious reluctance to continue the "affair" in several instances. Whether these indicate sexual repression or are simply a reflection of the social mores (or morals) of the time is arguable. In the 1940s and 1950s women were certainly sexually repressed, middle class women, particularly.

Passion, the entire movie is laced as Moor Larkin remarked with both repression and passion. Perhaps again the scene where Celia decides to go to the flat, here passion overcomes repression--until she gets cold feet. Also passion is certainly shown in her mad dash to the platform edge--a wild desire to kill herself?--that always seemed a bit extreme.

I think it is a B of a question to put and I would suggest using LM's remark, perhaps in a more refined translation!

All best.

Liked
    0 times
    vaggmk1938 ur the man thanks for that i'll deffinately take that into account much appreciated and ye Rob Fair enough but im 19 and people from my generation dont particulary find these sort of films interesting or understand them as easily as most of you on here who either like these films or have experience in these sorta films or might have even grown up with them. And yes i have my evidence and notes but like i said i just wanted that little bit of extra help.

P.S ignore the avatar

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    It might also be worth mentioning that in Coward's original notes the Celia Johnson character was a man.

Bats.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast