Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    It's the only Alistair Sim film that I've seen where he is upstaged - by John Laurie. Kind hearts and Ladykillers are wonderful too.

Such a difficult question!

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times
    The scene I always particularly remember in Laughter In Paradise is the one where Alastair Sim bungles several attempts at getting arrested for shoplifting - hilarious!

Liked
    0 times
    Yes! When he tried to steal that pearl-necklace and also when he was trying to muster the courage to throw the brick through the jewellers shop window - absolute brilliant acting and timing.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    It's hard to choose amongst the Alastair Sim films, he was such a brilliant performer.

Even in a "minor" role like in London Belongs to Me or Hue and Cry, his star still shines brightly.

Steve

Liked
    2 times
    I agree, Steve - he was one of those actors who brought a special something to any film he was in - even the bad or indifferent ones! I think my favourite is probably The Green Man. And I always loved the double act of him and Margaret Rutherford.

Liked
    418 times
    You must mean The Happiest Days of Your Life (1950). That was the only film where Sim & Rutherford really acted together (it seems like more). They were both in Innocents in Paris (1952) but didn't really have any big scenes together.

But The Happiest Days of Your Life is near enough to perfection for me, especially with Joyce Grenfell as Miss Gossage as well.

Steve

Liked
    2 times
    Well, I suppose it does really come down to just the two films, but as you say, it seems like more. For me they represent a wonderful eccentricity which just seems quintessentially British.

Ah, yes, Joyce Grenfell. "Call me Sausage."

Liked
    0 times
    Wasn't there a St Trinians film when Margaret Rutherford and Alistair Sim met? Doh! I'm confused now! Maybe it was "Happiest Days" Alistair was the Headmaster anyway - I think it was the latter actually!! Sorry!! I can see where the confusion comes from though! Shame they never acted together more.

Love Lisa-Lou XXXX

Liked
    418 times
    Lisa-Lou:

Wasn't there a St Trinians film when Margaret Rutherford and Alistair Sim met?
    There should have been - but there wasn't.

But Margaret Rutherford would have sorted out those St Trinian's girls :)

Another eccentric but brilliant performer. I think may favourites scenes from her are probably the shoplifter in Trouble in Store, the way she steals the train is great, and the nurse in Miranda, when she first meets Miranda, sees her tail and says "Oh good, I've always believed in mermaids"

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    Hi,everybody,

There is one particular scene which makes me chuckle in Laughter in Paradise. It is only a small,very brief scene.

I believe it is when the wonderful Joyce Grenfell enters the court to see her fiance,Alistair Sim,face trial for his misdemeanours.

It was the way she struts to her seat,all jolly hockey sticks with a wide idiotic,naive grin on her face.

Joyce,God bless her,could make people laugh without saying anything. That is a true comedy performance.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook
    It's hard to choose amongst the Alastair Sim films, he was such a brilliant performer.

Even in a "minor" role like in London Belongs to Me or Hue and Cry, his star still shines brightly.

Steve
    Yes an outstanding performer, I must watch London Belongs to Me again as I seem to remember him featuring quite a bit, but that is the measure of the man, he can make small parts big. Same with the great Stanley Holloway also.

Liked
    0 times
    There's only one thing I can add to this: "Daddykins!"

Liked
    1 times
    I like the scene in Laughter in Paradise at the end when Alistair Sim starts chuckling. I defy anyone to watch that scene and not laugh, perfection

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    I love Margaret Rutherford in Passport to Pimlico, and in the VIPs; Must have been simple for the wardrobe departments in her films as she seems to have worn the same tweedy hat and cape in them all!

Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by maturin
    I love Margaret Rutherford in Passport to Pimlico, and in the VIPs; Must have been simple for the wardrobe departments in her films as she seems to have worn the same tweedy hat and cape in them all!

would it be fair to say that Rutherford was the female equivalant to Sim ???

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by stevie boy
    would it be fair to say that Rutherford was the female equivalant to Sim ???
    In many ways, yes. They were both wonderfully eccentric. In real life as well as in their performances. And they were both very talented actors. Maybe a tad limited in their range, a lot of their own character always shone through the character they were portraying.

The surprising thing is that they were hardly ever in the same film - maybe it was thought that it would be too many eccentrics in one film?

Of course we know that they were wonderful together in The Happiest Days of Your Life (1950). They were both in Innocents in Paris (1953) but that was an episodic film following lots of different people on a day out to Paris. And Margaret and Alastair didn't appear in the same scenes.

Steve

Edit: I see I said much the same thing 4 years ago further back up this thread

Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook
    In many ways, yes. They were both wonderfully eccentric. In real life as well as in their performances. And they were both very talented actors. Maybe a tad limited in their range, a lot of their own character always shone through the character they were portraying.

The surprising thing is that they were hardly ever in the same film - maybe it was thought that it would be too many eccentrics in one film?

Of course we know that they were wonderful together in The Happiest Days of Your Life (1950). They were both in Innocents in Paris (1953) but that was an episodic film following lots of different people on a day out to Paris. And Margaret and Alastair didn't appear in the same scenes.

Steve

Edit: I see I said much the same thing 4 years ago further back up this thread

Steve, good comments, thanks

Liked
    0 times
    I just had to mention this Alastair Sim classic, which I viewed a couple of weeks ago. It inspired me to rush out and pick up "The Green Man," which was also extremely funny and clever. I'd be curious to hear some recommendations from folks who like these Alastair Sim films —�*anything else with the same flavour, I'd like to know about!

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettySpaghetti

I just had to mention this Alastair Sim classic, which I viewed a couple of weeks ago. It inspired me to rush out and pick up "The Green Man," which was also extremely funny and clever. I'd be curious to hear some recommendations from folks who like these Alastair Sim films �€”�*anything else with the same flavour, I'd like to know about!
    You should try The Happiest Days of Your Life and The Belles of St. Trinian's, which are definitely in the same vein and both boast excellent performances from Alastair Sim (two in fact in the latter - one in drag!).

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettySpaghetti

I just had to mention this Alastair Sim classic, which I viewed a couple of weeks ago. It inspired me to rush out and pick up "The Green Man," which was also extremely funny and clever. I'd be curious to hear some recommendations from folks who like these Alastair Sim films �€”�*anything else with the same flavour, I'd like to know about!
    Basically, any other film with Alastair Sim in it - his performances were always a work of genius

Even when he's only in the film for a short while, like in Hue and Cry (1947) or London Belongs to Me (1948) then Alastair's performance lifts the whole film to another level

Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast