Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    Listening to Alan Titchmarch on BBC Radio 2 last night,he was playing the music from The First Of The Few by Sir William Walton. Was that music used in the Battle Of Britain,where Dowding (Olivier) leaves his desk to go out on the veranda to look up at the sky,then Rod Goodwin's End Credit music comes in?

Ta Ta

Marky B

Liked
    0 times
    The Battle of Britain ranks as one of my favourite World War II films and certainly among my favourite aviation films. It has the perfect blend of action and human drama which enables us to take a step back in time to see what life was like in Blighty under the threat of Nazi invasion. With an extremely impressive cast (especially Michael Caine, Trevor Howard, Ian McShane, Kenneth More, Laurence Olivier, Christopher Plummer and Robert Shaw) the film doesn't disappoint for one second. The dogfights are also incredibly well done and the Blitz scenes and the Nuremburg Rally-esque scenes preceeding it are utterly horrifying. 5/5 from me.

Liked
    69 times
    The Battle of Britain ranks as one of my favourite World War II films and certainly among my favourite aviation films. It has the perfect blend of action and human drama which enables us to take a step back in time to see what life was like in Blighty under the threat of Nazi invasion. With an extremely impressive cast (especially Michael Caine, Trevor Howard, Ian McShane, Kenneth More, Laurence Olivier, Christopher Plummer and Robert Shaw) the film doesn't disappoint for one second. The dogfights are also incredibly well done and the Blitz scenes and the Nuremburg Rally-esque scenes preceeding it are utterly horrifying. 5/5 from me.
    The 15 September dogfight is the best in movie history.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Liked
    0 times
    While I am not a fan of remakes, I think this is one film that, IF, done correctly, could benifit from one, as for a modern cinema audience and a younger generation up to date f/x work could make for a great film.

I have to say I am not a fan of a CGI though.

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    First, I will say that I saw this when I was 15 and didn't think that much of it because it was not a straight documentary - and that was all I was interested in at the time because I was expecting newsreel footage. So I kept the general impression that it was a "disappointing" film.

Well, it is possible to teach old dogs new tricks, more than thirty years on (at least this old dog). I watched it again this week, on DVD - and it is an outstanding film.

I was entirely wrong. Mea culpa.

What an achievement this is: a brilliant cast, superb direction and editing and a low-key finale that moved me far more than I expected, and I will admit - produced a very strong and intense emotional response.

I have read so much about the Battle of Britain since I was a very small boy, listening to my dad tell me about it, along with the maps of London and the channel. He always stressed the bravery of those pilots and what we owed them. This beautifully made film impressed me again with the extraordinary accomplishments of those few.

Liked
    69 times
    First, I will say that I saw this when I was 15 and didn't think that much of it because it was not a straight documentary - and that was all I was interested in at the time because I was expecting newsreel footage. So I kept the general impression that it was a "disappointing" film.

Well, it is possible to teach old dogs new tricks, more than thirty years on (at least this old dog). I watched it again this week, on DVD - and it is an outstanding film.

I was entirely wrong. Mea culpa.

What an achievement this is: a brilliant cast, superb direction and editing and a low-key finale that moved me far more than I expected, and I will admit - produced a very strong and intense emotional response.

I have read so much about the Battle of Britain since I was a very small boy, listening to my dad tell me about it, along with the maps of London and the channel. He always stressed the bravery of those pilots and what we owed them. This beautifully made film impressed me again with the extraordinary accomplishments of those few.
    You're right,Tim. The ending was very low key. The Luftwaffe pilots contemplating their unexpected loss,the RAf,though victors,were still on tenderhooks and Dowding's response to the Air Minister was anti-climactic. The minister,who reports to Dowding,that the German embassy in Washington have laughed off the RAF's figures of victory>

"I am not that interested in propaganda,minister. If the figures are right,they'll give up. If they are not,they'll be in London within a week."

No rhetorics - whilst a solid victory,there were still panels of doubt.

Thanks to those brave young boys,Hitler did give up any thought of invasion.

Ta Ta

MArky B

Liked
    29 times
    You're right,Tim. The ending was very low key. The Luftwaffe pilots contemplating their unexpected loss,the RAf,though victors,were still on tenderhooks and Dowding's response to the Air Minister was anti-climactic. The minister,who reports to Dowding,that the German embassy in Washington have laughed off the RAF's figures of victory>

"I am not that interested in propaganda,minister. If the figures are right,they'll give up. If they are not,they'll be in London within a week."

Ta Ta

MArky B
    The ending worked beautifully: the invasion plans had been stopped by this victory, but the war was just beginning, the worst of the Blitz was still to come, Hitler's Germany was still gathering strength - so there was no time to celebrate. They managed to capture both the success and the ominous clouds on the horizon.

I had the experience of realizing again something I had known for so long: what it would have meant if the plans for Sea Lion had gone ahead and the Nazis had arrived in England. I don't think the world would ever have recovered, and Hitler would have won the war in Europe.

And for us, in the US, it would have been too late - with our heads still in the sand in the summer of 1940.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times

Ta Ta

MArky B
    Dowding was right, it was a very close run thing. It was undoubtedly a victory for the Allies (don't forget all the non Brits) in the end. But there were a few places where we could easily have lost.

If the Nazis had carried on bombing the radar stations at the beginning. They didn't realise their significance.

If the Nazis had carried on bombing the airfields and hadn't switched to bombing London

If the factories hadn't managed to churn out the fighters (mainly the Hurricane) at such a rate

If it hadn't been for the pilots of other nations who were initially kept out by RAF snobbery but who were eventually allowed to join in. There was more danger of the allies running out of pilots than planes. Remember that roll at the end of the film showing the nations that took part in it and how many each of them lost.

Steve

Liked
    418 times
    The ending worked beautifully: the invasion plans had been stopped by this victory, but the war was just beginning, the worst of the Blitz was still to come, Hitler's Germany was still gathering strength - so there was no time to celebrate. They managed to capture both the success and the ominous clouds on the horizon.

I had the experience of realizing again something I had known for so long: what it would have meant if the plans for Sea Lion had gone ahead and the Nazis had arrived in England. I don't think the world would ever have recovered, and Hitler would have won the war in Europe.

And for us, in the US, it would have been too late - with our heads still in the sand in the summer of 1940.
    And they wouldn't have had the British Isles as a convenient training ground and jumping off point for the invasion of western Europe. D-Day quite possibly wouldn't have happened and they might have had to fight their way up from the South, or wait for the Russians to move in from the East.

Steve

Liked
    69 times
    And they wouldn't have had the British Isles as a convenient training ground and jumping off point for the invasion of western Europe. D-Day quite possibly wouldn't have happened and they might have had to fight their way up from the South, or wait for the Russians to move in from the East.

Steve
    I totally agree there,Steve. However,as for your last point,would we have been under the Red Flag in the end?

Ta Ta

MArky B

Liked
    418 times
    I totally agree there,Steve. However,as for your last point,would we have been under the Red Flag in the end?

Ta Ta

MArky B
    It could well have happened. Losing the Battle of Britain would have had many far-reaching effects

Steve

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    I haven't seen this flick since it came out, but this thread has definitely fired me up to reconsider it. I can strongly recommend Richard Overy's book "The Battle Of Britain: The Myth And The Reality" - it's a quick read - concise and excellent.

Liked
    29 times

Ta Ta

MArky B
    Or the Nazi flag. The invasion and conquest of Britain would have made the success of barbarossa more likely as it would have changed the timing and ended the active war, at least temporarily, in western Europe.

It could well have happened. Losing the Battle of Britain would have had many far-reaching effects

Steve
    The full impact is unimaginable.

Nazi Germany would have been supreme in Europe. That supremacy would have gone far beyond a military and political victory. The spiritual and psychological blow to the west would have have shattered the morale and the hope of those who looked to Britain as the one holdout of civilization. The invasion of a nation that had not been invaded since the Norman conquest would have broken the spirit beyond repair.

Those are the factors that literally cannot be measured.

Liked
    69 times
    Or the Nazi flag. The invasion and conquest of Britain would have made the success of barbarossa more likely as it would have changed the timing and ended the active war, at least temporarily, in western Europe.

The full impact is unimaginable.

Nazi Germany would have been supreme in Europe. That supremacy would have gone far beyond a military and political victory. The spiritual and psychological blow to the west would have have shattered the morale and the hope of those who looked to Britain as the one holdout of civilization. The invasion of a nation that had not been invaded since the Norman conquest would have broken the spirit beyond repair.

Those are the factors that literally cannot be measured.
    That is why I think 15 September (Battle of Britain Day) should be remembered more.

Ta Ta

MArky B

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Apologies if this has been posted before, but I haven't the time to go through several pages and the search seems a bit hit-and-miss.

To me, the Walton 'Battle of Britain March' is one of the finest pieces of 'Imperial' music I've ever heard, and quite similar to his 'Spitfire' overture and Richard III prelude. Very moving.

The Soundtrack to the film is on RYKO RCD 10747. It contains Ron Goodwin's and Waltons music and a pc video file of the theatrical trailer. Brilliant stuff.

The restoration notes are fascinating.

Walton's score was recorded at Anvil Studios in Denham, but when the studios closed it was thought that the tapes had been lost forever.

Fortunately, recording engineer Eric Tomlinson had 'retained' three backup reels and had them stored in his garage for over 20 years. When James Fitzpatrick (producer of this CD) happened to mention what a shame it was about the loss of the music, out the tapes came!

Apparently most of the recordings were in fair condition but there was some distortion, especially on the left channels which contained the heavy percussion.

The recordings were very 'dry' ie no reverb and so this was added to add some life and to calm the brass. The music was recorded with a very wide image, and this has not been altered.

Again, I'm sure most of you were quite familiar with all this, but I thought I'd pop it in in case....

We went to see Ron Goodwin conducting some of his music at the bridgewater Hall a few years ago and it was absolutely *spiffing*. When he came to 'work and play' from BoB, he managed to make it even more sumptuous than on this CD!

Liked
    29 times
    Apologies if this has been posted before, but I haven't the time to go through several pages and the search seems a bit hit-and-miss.

To me, the Walton 'Battle of Britain March' is one of the finest pieces of 'Imperial' music I've ever heard, and quite similar to his 'Spitfire' overture and Richard III prelude. Very moving.

The Soundtrack to the film is on RYKO RCD 10747. It contains Ron Goodwin's and Waltons music and a pc video file of the theatrical trailer. Brilliant stuff.

The restoration notes are fascinating.

Walton's score was recorded at Anvil Studios in Denham, but when the studios closed it was thought that the tapes had been lost forever.

Fortunately, recording engineer Eric Tomlinson had 'retained' three backup reels and had them stored in his garage for over 20 years. When James Fitzpatrick (producer of this CD) happened to mention what a shame it was about the loss of the music, out the tapes came!

Apparently most of the recordings were in fair condition but there was some distortion, especially on the left channels which contained the heavy percussion.

The recordings were very 'dry' ie no reverb and so this was added to add some life and to calm the brass. The music was recorded with a very wide image, and this has not been altered.

Again, I'm sure most of you were quite familiar with all this, but I thought I'd pop it in in case....

We went to see Ron Goodwin conducting some of his music at the bridgewater Hall a few years ago and it was absolutely *spiffing*. When he came to 'work and play' from BoB, he managed to make it even more sumptuous than on this CD!
    Interesting post. I was very impressed by the quality of the score, and thought while watching it that it stnads up well on its own. Sometimes epic films have scores that compete with what is on the screen: in this case, it fit the film very well.

Liked
    0 times
    friend of mine has a quad poster of 'Battle Of Britain'

Can anyone enlighten me as to how many times this film may have been reissued? I cannot seem to get this info from IMDB.

If the film has been re-issued, does anyone know how we can possible date the poster?

Liked
    418 times
    friend of mine has a quad poster of 'Battle Of Britain'

Can anyone enlighten me as to how many times this film may have been reissued? I cannot seem to get this info from IMDB.

If the film has been re-issued, does anyone know how we can possible date the poster?
    The BBFC lists:

The original 1969 cinema release

(No other theatrical releases)

A 1986 video release

A 2004 DVD release

A 2005 video release

They're the only ones that show certificates being applied for. But the BBFC info available on their public web site isn't guaranteed to be complete

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    The BBFC lists:

The original 1969 cinema release

(No other theatrical releases)

A 1986 video release

A 2004 DVD release

A 2005 video release

They're the only ones that show certificates being applied for. But the BBFC info available on their public web site isn't guaranteed to be complete

Steve
    Thanks for that info Steve. Appreciated.

Why I asked, is that I have seem quite a few posters on the web, the majority showing Spitfires etc etc. These must have been produced for the videos and DVD releases. The one my friend has, is the stark white Quad, which I gather MUST be the original. From the prices I have seen for this particular poster, he is very lucky.

Liked
    0 times
    For those up in the north of Scotland (if there are any here!),

the war film "Battle of Britain" is being shown on Monday 27th April at 2000hrs at Cineworld Aberdeen, and again at 1400hrs on Tuseday 28th.

Also on the list to be shown are:

The Third Man (same two dates)

and . . .

From Russia with Love (Tuesday 5th of May)

Seems we're being spoiled with great old movies in Aberdeen!

Long may it continue!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast