Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    However . . .

On the negative side - God, what an awful copy they used . . !

The sound was truly atrocious, like one of those old LP records thats been listened to too much and has become too scratched.

The picture at times was worse than an old home movie - it was the most scratched movie I've ever seen in a cinema - what a shame - some scenes were okay, but others were so bad they had to be seen to be believed!

Worst of all was the jumpy and missing sequences - and not just missing, but chopped-off in mid sentence sometimes! For those who have seen Harry Enfield doing the Mister Chulmondley-Warner sketches, it was EXACTLY like that at times - dear oh dear!

To quote Christopher Plummer last night in one famous scene:

He normally says - "Don't ever let me see you doing a victory roll over my airfield again, clear?"

What he said last night was - "Don't . . ver . . . over . . . clea . . ?" (You would also need to add in a constant scratchy / hissing background sound to this, to get the full effect of how bad it was!)
    Do you mean a version they showed at the cinema or the one they showed on TV? If it was the one on TV then it must have been a bad digital broadcast in your area. I happened to dip into it and saw that scene (on Virgin cable) and the sound was fine, perfectly clear. The images were fine as well

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    He means a cinema print and quite clearly states so.

Liked
    0 times
    The dvd of this great film is available in the high street shops, but without exception these seem to be the 127 minute (USA) 'cut' versions?

Does anyone know where online to get hold of the full, 151 minute UK version? I have checked Amazon, ebay and Play.com, as well as a host of the usual suspects!

Cheers!

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    The dvd of this great film is available in the high street shops, but without exception these seem to be the 127 minute (USA) 'cut' versions?

Does anyone know where online to get hold of the full, 151 minute UK version? I have checked Amazon, ebay and Play.com, as well as a host of the usual suspects!

Cheers!
    I have owned several different VHS versions, two different DVDs and now the Blu-Ray. They have all been the 127 minute version. BUT I am certain that many years ago a longer version was screened on TV. I distinctly remember Susannah York visiting Christopher Plummer in hospital, another additional sequence with Barry Foster and the Polish pilots and a longer air-raid rescue sequence with Ian McShane. So unless I am going senile a longer version does exist

Liked
    0 times
    Hi WarFilmBuff

Thanks for your reply, I'm sure I've seen the longer (UK) version, though I can't remember if those images you described were in this version, or the 'never used' film cuts used that were seen in the recent doc-series 'Fighting the Blue'.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Would anyone know where the final scene is filmed please?

Where Larry looks up at an aeroplane free sky from a scenic garden, there appears to be a tall structure to the left of the picture.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I don't know if tickets are still available (I'm trying to win a pair via the BBC, but a restored version of BoB is going to be shown at the Quartehouse in Folkestone, Kent. They will be a q&a prior to the film starting.

The Quarterhouse website seems to be up the swanny at the mo and won't book tickets.

I'm quite excited about this as I live in Folkestone and bugger all happens, (though Babs Windsor did open a fruit machine place in the town when I was 13).

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I saw this movie upon it's original theatrical release - I don't recall it being any different than the currently available DVD's. If a longer version exists perhaps the cuts were made before national distribution.

Marty...

Liked
    0 times
    according to IMDB the original was 151 minutes long, but as for where you'll find it,try a request.

Battle of Britain

Also Known As:

"The Battle of Britain" - USA (DVD title)

See more »

View content advisory for parents

132 min | UK:151 min (original version)

Liked
    418 times
    I saw this movie upon it's original theatrical release - I don't recall it being any different than the currently available DVD's. If a longer version exists perhaps the cuts were made before national distribution.

Marty...
    When the BBFC issued the original certificate in 1969, that was for a version that ran for 131 minutes 23 seconds

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    When the BBFC issued the original certificate in 1969, that was for a version that ran for 131 minutes 23 seconds

Steve
    The DVD cut I have clocks in 127 mins. The PAL conversion makes film run slightly fast,typically between 2 to 3%, therefore a the theatrical cut of that film would equate to around 131 mins. The the time difference between the 1969 certified cut and the DVD, could simply because of that conversion process. NSTC conversely runs film with out speeding it up - so, any US version should at least be the same length as the supplied cut.

A 151 min cut, that is a substantial amount of extra footage, despite what the various internet sources say what appears on DVD is what I saw at the cinema all those years ago. It is possible that very early version was longer and was cut after initial audience reaction prior to national distribution, this was not unusual back then.

Marty...

Liked
    418 times
    The DVD cut I have clocks in 127 mins. The PAL conversion makes film run slightly fast,typically between 2 to 3%, therefore a the theatrical cut of that film would equate to around 131 mins. The the time difference between the 1969 certified cut and the DVD, could simply because of that conversion process. NSTC conversely runs film with out speeding it up - so, any US version should at least be the same length as the supplied cut.

A 151 min cut, that is a substantial amount of extra footage, despite what the various internet sources say what appears on DVD is what I saw at the cinema all those years ago. It is possible that very early version was longer and was cut after initial audience reaction prior to national distribution, this was not unusual back then.

Marty...
    Or it's possible that whoever told the IMDb that it ran for 151 minutes was including all the extras on the DVD

The BBFC run-time of 131 minutes would have been the run time of any initial cinematic screening

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Or it's possible that whoever told the IMDb that it ran for 151 minutes was including all the extras on the DVD

The BBFC run-time of 131 minutes would have been the run time of any initial cinematic screening

Steve
    ...or someone has typed 5 instead of a 3. Proof of course the internet sources are always right!

Seems to me that 127/131 min version is the theatrical cut and what one buys on DVD is what was seen at the cinema.

If it was me, I would not put any more effort in looking for a 151min version.

Marty...

Liked
    0 times
    Yes, 131/151m - looks like a typo to me.

I saw BoB at the local cinema with my Dad, sometime in the early 70s - I was 7 or 8 at the time and it was a very vivid experience for me. Those blood splashes on the screen as the pilots were shot in the cockpits, the planes on fire and the pilots struggling to escape. They're all imprinted on my brain.

I'm very fond of this one.

Liked
    2 times
    I've just been watching Battle of Britain on Channel 4, maybe my memory is at fault, but I'm sure some of the subtitled translations of the German and Polish dialogue differ from earlier viewings. The scene where Hitler is making a speech, in tonight's film the subtitles read "If they bomb our cities we will obliterate theirs", whereas I'm pretty sure the previous versions was "If they bomb our cities, we will raze theirs to the ground". Also in the previous version Goering said "If we don't win we deserve to have our arses kicked", tonight's version was very different! Has anyone else noticed this?

Also, something I've never noticed before, when Ian McShane's character is returning to the church hall with the small boy, he is carrying a clock under his arm. Did he loot this from a bombed building?

Senior Member Country: Afghanistan
    Liked
    46 times

Marty...
    Dont think that counts anymore? modern PAL telecines can run at 24fps as opposed to the old 25fps i believe. Just as modern NTSC telecine can now run without the pan judder caused by the invented extra frames.

Never seen the film before its CH4 showing tonight. I was astounded by the action shots, absolutely superb stuff! I am surprised that it never won huge collections of awards. Maybe if it had taken 'Britain' out the title and called it Battle of the Sky or something, it would have done a lot more business and got the awards it deserved?

Liked
    418 times
    I've just been watching Battle of Britain on Channel 4, maybe my memory is at fault, but I'm sure some of the subtitled translations of the German and Polish dialogue differ from earlier viewings. The scene where Hitler is making a speech, in tonight's film the subtitles read "If they bomb our cities we will obliterate theirs", whereas I'm pretty sure the previous versions was "If they bomb our cities, we will raze theirs to the ground". Also in the previous version Goering said "If we don't win we deserve to have our arses kicked", tonight's version was very different! Has anyone else noticed this?
    I caught "Hitler's" speech as I was channel surfing and dipped into BoB every so often. The word "Hitler" used sounded like Eradiceren which I had always assumed meant eradicate

What did they put in the subtitles for Goring's comment? He certainly used the word Arsch. The film was on quite early so maybe they have a "family friendly" version of the subtitles

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Dont think that counts anymore? modern PAL telecines can run at 24fps as opposed to the old 25fps i believe. Just as modern NTSC telecine can now run without the pan judder caused by the invented extra frames.
    The BFI are still making a point of mentioning the differences in running times between the filmed version and DVD releases in their latest crop of releases, so I guess at the moment, they at least are converting in this manner, others I suspect just don't bother to state it. Putting that to one side, the BoB would have been converted a while back and something must account for the disparity between the original theatrical running time of 131 mins and the DVD time of 127 mins, given the the absence of noticeable edits I can't think of anything else particularly if one bothers to do math, it works out.

Incidentally, I caught a little bit of the version aired last night I couldn't watch it all as I was going out. But, even for the short time I watched it, I noticed quite a few small edits. But, it did look good in HD.

Marty...

Liked
    2 times
    I caught "Hitler's" speech as I was channel surfing and dipped into BoB every so often. The word "Hitler" used sounded like Eradiceren which I had always assumed meant eradicate

What did they put in the subtitles for Goring's comment? He certainly used the word Arsch. The film was on quite early so maybe they have a "family friendly" version of the subtitles

Steve
    My German is virtually non-existant, I can order drinks but that's about all! Anyway, Goering's comment was "If we lose we deserve to have our arses torn out!" I'm not sure which version is more likely for Der Dicke to have said.

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks fellas

Given the above, it might be simply a case of misinformation that has been innocently given to Imdb?

Yet a dvd stall guy in my home town, who seems to know his films and is really helpful and genuine, said that he had the 151min and the 127 versions in recently? Typically it was only days before I asked.

I'll always hold out hope though.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast