Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks fellas

Given the above, it might be simply a case of misinformation that has been innocently given to Imdb?

Yet a dvd stall guy in my home town, who seems to know his films and is really helpful and genuine, said that he had the 151min and the 127 versions in recently? Typically it was only days before I asked.

I'll always hold out hope though.
    Ahh... the ubiquitous market trader: "If only you would have been here a day earlier - I sold it yesterday, mate"

On the basis, that 20 mins is huge amount of additional footage - casting to one side what I have seen and everything else. I would say on that alone, a 151 min version does not exist as a commercial cut - after all the longer version of the Wicker Man was a lot less than that and it managed to change the plot to the extent of Howey having an extra day on Summerisle.

Marty...

Liked
    0 times
    Yes, I would have thought that myself subconciously, but the guy is someone I've chatted to at length over the years, and is genuine with nothing to gain from me. He has often stated that he hasn't got a certain film and may not get it.

Based upon the fact that plenty of unseen 1969 film footage was used for the UK documentary series Fighting the Blue (confirmed in presentation) and also for the Czech film Dark Blue World, I believe that the long version has a good chance of existing!

Liked
    0 times
    I believe that the long version has a good chance of existing!
    The recently released Acorn 2 DVD docu-drama "Battle of Britain" also uses some snippets of unused footage from the movie. But, there is absolutely no correlation between this and and a longer theatrical cut. All movies made have outakes, after all.

The stark reality is, the BBFC passed a 131 min in 1969 for theatrical consumption. All the DVD's/Videos (given the vagaries of conversion) are the same length. If there was a longer (directors) cut, one would have expected it to have turned up on the two disc DVD set, or the Blu-ray version (incidentally whilst in HMV today) I had a look at the BD version and it states a run time of 131 mins on the packaging. Finally, whats on the current DVD is the same as what I saw at the cinema in 1969.

Other than what could clearly be a typo on the IMBD website there is nothing to support a 151 min cut.

Marty...

Liked
    0 times
    Other than what could clearly be a typo on the IMBD website there is nothing to support a 151 min cut.

Marty...
    Well, another stark reality is that Rob Siegel from The Digital Bits, suggests that there is ("Original Running Time: 133 Minutes (extended version 151 minutes, UK)"

Rob Siegel - The Battle of Britain

Is this also a ''typo?

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Well, another stark reality is that Rob Siegel from The Digital Bits, suggests that there is ("Original Running Time: 133 Minutes (extended version 151 minutes, UK)"

Is this also a ''typo?
    Or did he copy it from the IMDb?

The BBFC doesn't have any mention of any version longer than 131 minutes. If there was an extended version they would have to give it a certificate before it could be shown in cinemas or released on video or DVD

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Possibly, like I said, I'll keep an open mind on the matter meanwhile...

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    I was looking on the FNAC website (European multimedia megastore) to get an idea of the price here in Spain, and as you can see on this page ...

http://busqueda.fnac.es/search/quick...=&submitbtn=Ok

... the blu-ray version is 133 minutes (it says), whereas the 'definitive' version (and all others, including the special edition in a steel box) are 127.

By the way - here in Spain it's called "The Battle of England". No comment.

Liked
    0 times

Is this also a ''typo?
    Err, it could be. After all this is the first mention I have seen of a 133 min version.

As mentioned by Steve Crook above, the info may possibly have been lifted from IMDB, which in turn could be a typo. Where is the hard evidence that a 151 min version exists? There is a body of evidence to say the 131/127 min is the definitive version and highly likely the only version, putting to one side the cuts made for Tv airings.

BTW all this piqued my interest in the movie and I got a friend to lend me BR version this weekend. For the record as mentioned on the sleeve this clocks in at a few seconds over 131 mins and no different from any other commercial release to date. I have to say it's as vanilla as it comes - just the movie. Whilst it's an improvement in picture quality over the DVD. However, as BD goes it's not very good in my opinion and looks to me as it's been upscaled rather than a proper BD master prepared. Which is curious, as the few minutes of the Channel 4 HD broadcast I saw last week looked a lot better.

Marty...

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Just watched this film again this morning.

Senior Member Country: England Number Six's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    Brilliant film - a favourite scene -

'spring chicken to shite hawk in one lesson - takka-takka-takka-takka-takka'

I've long been a fan of this film, ever since my Mum and Dad took me to see it at the cinema in Bournemouth in 1969. I too have heard mention of the so-called 'mythical' longer version but all my subsequent research has turned absolutely nothing up. Let's be honest, an additional twenty minutes is one helluva lot of extra footage, at least some of which would surely have seen the light of day by now. As a result, I firmly believe all the hype was started by a simple typo which has been perpetuated over the years by continued reference to this non-existant version.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    Sadly I was too young to go to the pictures when it did the rounds in the early 70's

I do seem to remember that Channel4 showed it over 10 years ago as "restored to original length" although that may have just meant the ~131min version.

I hate the cheap editing that so many channels do to films, they even cut bits to fit in the adverts or remove a "violent scene" that is no worse than the Tellytubbies.

Liked
    0 times
    "..spring chicken to shite hawk..."

Is one of a number of minor edits that is made to the BoB movie for most tv airings.

Marty...

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    9 times
    The whole question of how long the film actually was 'originally' bugged me so much, I dug out one of my copies of Leonard Mosley's 'Battle of Britain the making of a film'. On page 193, it says that that a rough cut was being shown to UA's management in late September 1968, with some scenes left blank but with narration. The cut was 'two and a quarter hours' - or about 135 minutes. Allowing for some final editing and the generallity of the writing, 131 minutes sounds about right, with the DVD running time of 127 minutes being accounted for by the conversion from 24 to 25 fpm for the TV/DVD version, and back to 131 for the 24 fpm Blu ray (although if Marty Hopkirk reckons its a blowup from the DVD rather than a new print, its a bit worrying either way - could be a blow up or simply not very good transfer to Blu ray).

I can't find any mention of a 'longer' version, although IMDB is so popular I suspect that everyone just copies it, which makes finding out more info difficult. I reckon 151min is a typo, since the one thing you discover reading about the production is how short they were of air-to-air footage owing to weather, etc. They needed an extra £3 million to cover the budget. There might have been footage cut, but I suspect it would have been overage for existing scenes, and trimmed for pace and clarity.

I do have somewhere one of the original 'making of' booklets which was given out at the cinema - although its very ragged (you don't look after these things so well when your seven), and I'll find out if it mentions the running time, but I'm pretty sure 131 sounds about right.

The story is a bit stodgy in places, but it has Spitfires, (two) Hurricanes, and Susannah York - what more could you want?

Liked
    418 times
    The IMDb has now removed the 151 minute running time

They agreed with my evidence that there never has been a release with a running time of 151 minutes and that it was probably just a typo

Steve

Senior Member Country: England markrgv's Avatar
    Liked
    14 times
    Also watched the film again the other day. It was great!

I Love Spitfires! And love Suzannah York in stockings!!

Liked
    0 times
    The IMDb has now removed the 151 minute running time

They agreed with my evidence that there never has been a release with a running time of 151 minutes and that it was probably just a typo Steve

Good man.

This should hopefully put this issue to bed for once and for all and prevent it being perpetuated further.

Marty...

Senior Member Country: England Number Six's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    .....And love Suzannah York in stockings!!
    Mark - you'll probably like this screencap then...............

..and this still of setting up the shot with Guy Hamilton with Christopher Plummer and Suzannah York....

Senior Member Country: England markrgv's Avatar
    Liked
    14 times
    Is niiice

Lucky Christopher Plummer!

Liked
    418 times
    Good man.

This should hopefully put this issue to bed for once and for all and prevent it being perpetuated further.

Marty...
    There are still a lot of sites that have copied the 151 running time from the IMDb or from Wikipedia when it was there. Other sites and reviews could well copy those sites that still show it. It's very difficult to completely eliminate a mistake like that once it's started to propagate

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    There are still a lot of sites that have copied the 151 running time from the IMDb or from Wikipedia when it was there. Other sites and reviews could well copy those sites that still show it. It's very difficult to completely eliminate a mistake like that once it's started to propagate

Steve

I know once the genie is out the bottle, it is difficult to get it totally back-in. With the preeminent source now being correct it should assist in the propagtion of the myth.

Marty...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast